Do you wear a mask to the range?

I tie a pillow to my ass in case I fall down go boom.

Do you wear eyes and ears or is that too cool for you too?

I shoot indoors a fair bit in the winter (at least once, sometimes twice a week). I had my lead level tested and it was 21 mcg/dL. I started wearing the pink particle mask, and 3 months later my level was down to 12. Same amount of indoor shooting, same post-shooting cleanup habits. I will personally continue wearing a mask when shooting indoors, no matter how silly it looks or uncomfortable it is.

I'm glad to see there are some other people that are aware of the risks and dangers. I'm glad to hear that respirator has helped you.

I was at our outdoor range once and there were 2 other guys there shooting. My friend and I were both shooting 22 pistols. After I shot a couple CCI Mini Mags one of the older guys there started complaining about how smokey they were. He put a mask on right away.

A few weeks later I was indoors shooting some reloads, there were a couple people there. When I got home I went and blew my nose and it was just black. I have been thinking about wearing a mask for indoor shooting. Outdoor I don't see the reason.

4yjube3a.jpg
that's ignorant ahheehoo!!

Never rocked the respirator mask. I usually switch off between Guy Fawkes and ski masks. Then there was the time I wore a gas mask, but it was more for the after effects of my Mexican food lunch.

All grammatical, spelling, and informational errors are solely the fault of Tapatalk and Autocorrect. Pay no attention to the fat fingers mashing on the keyboard behind the curtain.

With the Lone ranger movie coming out, I was rethinking using a mask EVERY time I go shooting!

I've never done or seen it @ MRA, or anywhere for that matter. My lead levels are always a little high, but I handle lead flashing at work fairly often, and forget to wash my hands more often than not.

well, that is the problem. The lead oxidizes, and rubs off onto your hands very easily. And it is very sticky....that is why it makes excellent paint! U need to wash with a soap with some grit in it, like boraxo, to get it all off.

I quit the range in dorchester because of thebad ventilation. While I was there I did wear an n98 mask. I looked stupid but at least my boogers came out green instead black like the first time.

I dont need the mask at my new club.

i would be very careful around those mask wearers.. can be a sign of something much more sinister.

1700082678123.png

If you are in the range multiple times per week, you probably have elevated lead levels. I don't shoot indoors enough to worry plus my range is super well ventilated. I also sometimes shoot lead free ammo when indoors, but the accuracy of that ammo is terrible compared to standard lead FMJ.

I shoot thousands of rounds every day at an indoor range over a 10-12 hour period, 5 days a week, and I don't use a mask/respirator. If you have elevated lead levels from shooting a couple hours a day/week you should find another range immediately.

Most people are worried about breathing in lead particles, but it's the lead on your hands you should be worried about. Even if you can't see it, it's still there. How many times do you touch your face or rub your eyes at the range? EVer go out to eat immediately after a range trip? Use soap designed to remove lead.

I want your job

Range should have lead removal soap. Breathing in smoke is generally bad too. So combo of proper ventilation and washing hands is key.

North Brookfield has an indoor range, not a good one like other clubs but it is indoors. We had 22 shoots there and up to 40 people. It got so bad in there that night I had to leave. I was spitting out black dust and also blowing it out of my nose. Just the breathing issue was enough for me to leave early.
I do know there were members that would not shoot inside and one of my friends would wear a mask.

Managing lead exposure is more important with little ones at home. You can comfortably shoot at a well-ventilated indoor range at least once every other week with no real impact on your lead levels.

However, all that lead all over your hands, arms, face, shirt, pants, and (especially) shoes tracks into your house, on your chairs, on your couch, on your bed, and on your kids.

- Lead wipes for your hands, arms, face, and neck immediately after.
- Take your shoes/boots off in your mudroom, basement, shed, etc.
- Toss your range clothes in the wash immediately. I would even recommend a de-leading detergent if you've spent a considerable amount of time at the range that day.

If you are in the range multiple times per week, you probably have elevated lead levels. I don't shoot indoors enough to worry plus my range is super well ventilated. I also sometimes shoot lead free ammo when indoors, but the accuracy of that ammo is terrible compared to standard lead FMJ.

I tend to keep my lead reloads in my mouth for faster ammo change at the range. But I wear a mask, so I'm good.

Managing lead exposure is more important with little ones at home. You can comfortably shoot at a well-ventilated indoor range at least once every other week with no real impact on your lead levels.

However, all that lead all over your hands, arms, face, shirt, pants, and (especially) shoes tracks into your house, on your chairs, on your couch, on your bed, and on your kids.

- Lead wipes for your hands, arms, face, and neck immediately after.
- Take your shoes/boots off in your mudroom, basement, shed, etc.
- Toss your range clothes in the wash immediately. I would even recommend a de-leading detergent if you've spent a considerable amount of time at the range that day.
Great advice. Many people seem to think if they wash their hands they’re good to go. Nope

Back
Top Bottom