Do you need a MA Machine Gun license to buy a C&R MG if you have a C&R?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I was looking at a C&R machine gun and the guy selling it indicated that if you have a C&R all you need to do is fill out a Form 4 with the $200 tax and that you do not need to have a Mass Machine Gun license because you are covered by your C&R. If I remember correctly, the Form 4 needs to be signed by your CLEO, which is the one who would approve the Machine Gun license in the first place. So it may be a mute point. I was just curious about the Machine Gun License part of his statement.

Is he correct?

You still need an MA green card in order to possess an MG in MA,
regardless of it's C+R status. That's a state thing, not a federal
requirement.

-Mike

Having a C&R license may work in your favor when applying for the CLEO sign-off (others here have indicated that some chiefs practically make it a requirement before they'll sign on the dotted line).

Having a C&R license may work in your favor when applying for the CLEO sign-off (others here have indicated that some chiefs practically make it a requirement before they'll sign on the dotted line).

yup, that's what my CLEO said.

Good thing about having the C&R is that the MG can be sent right to your door ! I can't wait to have that happen. I'm going to invite my anti friends when that day comes !

If you read the MGL and CMR, unless you are an MPTC LE Firearms Trainer, you MUST have a C&R FFL to get the Green Card MG License. Many chiefs won't issue it even to a C&R FFL holder. I don't know of any chief who will issue if you don't have the C&R FFL.

Possession of a MG in MA w/o the Green Card (IIRC) is LIFE in prison. MA doesn't really recognize a C&R FFL at all (except as qualifier for the MG License), so that won't keep you out of Walpole Prison at all.

If you read the MGL and CMR, unless you are an MPTC LE Firearms Trainer, you MUST have a C&R FFL to get the Green Card MG License. Many chiefs won't issue it even to a C&R FFL holder. I don't know of any chief who will issue if you don't have the C&R FFL.

Possession of a MG in MA w/o the Green Card (IIRC) is LIFE in prison. MA doesn't really recognize a C&R FFL at all (except as qualifier for the MG License), so that won't keep you out of Walpole Prison at all.

I'm in western mass and you do not need a c+r to get a mg license.

I'm in western mass and you do not need a c+r to get a mg license.

I think the law reads something like one must be either a state police instructor or a bona fide collector. If your local chief can decide that you are a collector without having a copy of your C&R FFL on file, then good for you. I think most chief's use the C&R as substantiation for one being a collector and that's why they want to see it.

Yup, having a lump of metal sitting in your closet definitely makes you as evil as say...killing tons of people. Punishment is same.

[grin]

Gabe,

Sadly, you can kill tons of people in MA and be out of prison a LOT earlier than if you merely possess a mg without a license. The "value system" in MA jurisprudence is totally f***ed up.

Gabe,

Sadly, you can kill tons of people in MA and be out of prison a LOT earlier than if you merely possess a mg without a license. The "value system" in MA jurisprudence is totally f***ed up.

Well, at least the Sox and Pats are kickin' ass! (Trying to keep positive!)

[grin]

The only benefit to a C+R mg is that you can take it out of state without the form 5 everytime.

A Form 5 is for a tax-exempt transfer. I presume you meant a Form 5320.20.

If that's what you meant, do you have a reference for that? If it's true, my life just got easier. I fill out a 5320.20 every year to take mine to NH ranges.

It is in the ATF/NFA regs. If you hold a C&R FFL, and are traveling with C&R MG's, no paperwork is required by the ATF. You do need to be aware of firearm laws in the states involved.
If the MG's are not C&R, you have to submit the 5320.20 to the ATF well in advance, so it gets approved and returned to you in time.

Look here:
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#m21
M21) Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate?

Yes, unless the owner is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20 to the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (4), 27 CFR 478.28]

Last edited:

not really true.... I got my "License to possess a Machine Gun (Collector)" in MA 5 months ago from my Cheif and did not need to get a C&R license. However it is something I plan on getting in the very near future.

Rob

not really true.... I got my "License to possess a Machine Gun (Collector)" in MA 5 months ago from my Cheif and did not need to get a C&R license. However it is something I plan on getting in the very near future.

Rob

Yeah, in some cases some chiefs don't give a shit and are actually
relatively pro RKBA, and to them a "bonafide collector" is anyone
who tells them they want to buy an MG. However, the reality
is, that most people struggling to get a green card in MA have to
use a C+R as a legal prybar to get it, or even if the chief is
RKBA friendly, they may still require it because they heard from
somewhere that it is a requirement.

-Mike

yeah your right....

I guess if you have a good Chief like I do it makes it easier for sure. I am sure some Chiefs can make it downright hard to get one.

Rob

Gabe,

i think it's more a matter of overcrowding due to the thousands of low to no-threat drug "offenders" in prison than it is about "values". I see that thrown around alot, but I don't recall seeing many mass murderers getting a quick "tour" of the system.

I know a guy doing natural life for a murder charge that was actually involuntary manslaughter. I'm not defending the guy, but if a bullet goes through a wall and hits somebody in the next room, that's not murder 1...yet he got natural life at 19, no parole.

The only people saying that prison and being in the system are a "slap on the wrist" have never been there and/or are watching entirely too much television/propaganda.

I'm not defending the guy, but if a bullet goes through a wall and hits somebody in the next room, that's not murder 1 ... .

It all depends on what he was doing when he sent that bullet through the wall. (It didn't simply go there on its own). If he was screwing around with then gun like a jerk, that should be manslaughter; if he was robbing a shop-and-rob, then it definitely should be murder. I'm definitely with you though on turning loose the vast majority of the POW-on-drugs.

Ken

I know a guy doing natural life for a murder charge that was actually involuntary manslaughter. I'm not defending the guy, but if a bullet goes through a wall and hits somebody in the next room, that's not murder 1...yet he got natural life at 19, no parole.

Without knowing the specifics it's hard to tell if someone would
be justified of getting charged with that. If the guy was a thug
trying to kill someone else, it should matter very little that
he didn't hit his intended target. On the flip side, it doesn't
take much imagination to see how someone can get hung for
something that they're not guilty of. I'm sure we have people
in prison now whose only crime was defending themselves, but
due to inadequate representation or not "following the rules"
they got screwed.

The only people saying that prison and being in the system are a "slap on the wrist" have never been there and/or are watching entirely too much television/propaganda.

I don't think people believe that prison is some kind of a fun
place. I think the reality is that most are irritated with our
judicial system because it seems to have this uncanny inability to
retain the most dangerous people who should be in prisons- such as
repeat violent offenders or violent child/sexual predators. This
starts coming out on the surface every time you see a media
report of a shooting, stabbing, or sexual assault.... almost like half
the time or more, it's committed by someone who has done it
before.

I am in complete agreement with you that there are a LOT of
people taking up space in prisons in places of people that
should be there. We have "drug offenders" and one off