• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"do you have a match? Oh! you have a gun!"

Relevance?

People get robbed in parking lots all the time. That doesn't give anyone the right to draw a handgun and threaten to murder someone who has shown no signs of ill intentions.

Don't know many things here,
Don't know:
The demeanor (body language) of the person "asking for a match"
Whether she has been accosted before.
What the crime issues are in the area.
Which direction did he come from?

Then think folks, How many of us today with all the bullshit going on, are just about running in "Condition Red"?
If you're constantly in condition red, I would prefer if you stayed home all day while normal people go about their business. Seriously, dude almost got shot in the face for asking for a light and somehow he's the bad guy [rolleyes]

That's missing the point though. Being aware of your surroundings and minding your six is not a reason to do a tactical roll while drawing from the holster every time the wind blows. That's called paranoia and it can turn very dangerous, as it very nearly did in this story.

If you're constantly in condition red, I would prefer if you stayed home all day while normal people go about their business. Seriously, dude almost got shot in the face for asking for a light and somehow he's the bad guy [rolleyes]

giphy.gif

Normal people ha ha ha ha where? 80% of the Citizens are on some form of prescription med...Normal L...O....L

What if this guy owned the car next to her's? He asks her for a light as he reaches for his keys? BANG! WTF! From the available data this woman should have put her hand on her pistol and kept it out of sight. Crowded parking lot enough where there were plenty of witnesses? Enough people around her to hear and see all that happened, video showing nothing threatening? If this woman sees danger around every corner she should stay home.

I'm sensitive to this type of stuff as women seem to think I look like an ax murderer. I've had random women tell me to back off when I never even saw them in the normal course of shopping or walking down the street?

I was walking into a pizza joint with my wife when a women came out the door and reeled backwards when she saw me entering. I do look like a biker but when I'm with my wife?? Come on!

What if this guy owned the car next to her's? He asks her for a light as he reaches for his keys? BANG! WTF! From the available data this woman should have put her hand on her pistol and kept it out of sight. Crowded parking lot enough where there were plenty of witnesses? Enough people around her to hear and see all that happened, video showing nothing threatening? If this woman sees danger around every corner she should stay home.

I'm sensitive to this type of stuff as women seem to think I look like an ax murderer. I've had random women tell me to back off when I never even saw them in the normal course of shopping or walking down the street?

I was walking into a pizza joint with my wife when a women came out the door and reeled backwards when she saw me entering. I do look like a biker but when I'm with my wife?? Come on!

Bro come on...I mean you look harmless to me...

dragon-and-snake-tattoo-modern-art-for-male.jpg

I call crap on the guy wanting a light. You just bought cigarets and didn't have enough money for matches or a lighter or was he too lazy to turn around and get a lighter from the store? Was he holding the cigarette he wanted a light for? Why did he think a female senior citizen had a lighter?

Honestly I have had some sketchy guys approach me asking for lights and stand there facing them until they walk away. They have asked why I am still looking at them and I just reply waiting until you walk away and find a a light somewhere else before I turn my back on someone who looks like they have nothing going for them.

I call crap on the guy wanting a light. You just bought cigarets and didn't have enough money for matches or a lighter or was he too lazy to turn around and get a lighter from the store? Was he holding the cigarette he wanted a light for? Why did he think a female senior citizen had a lighter?

I don't, people are stupid and do innocuous things that are likely to set off others' alarm bells all the time.

One time this kid snuck up on me (on drivers side) at a dunks drive thru asking for some change, I told him to get lost (and I had my hand on my gun, still holstered, discreetly, under my shirt) and gave him a death stare, he looked bewildered at my response, then walked away.... on the other hand if he had waited till I was past the speaker and approached from the front of the car I probably would have thought differently of him.

-Mike

Although, I would saying being in MA, if I whip out my gun, it's because I'm about to pull the trigger. Because, in MA, if you did what this lady did, you're finished. You don't pull it and use it to prevent an attack, you pull it to end an attack.

She might luck out in Tennessee. WHo knows.

And yeah, leave little old ladies alone asking for matches. I don't like it when dudes approach me for a light. Some people have fewer boundaries than others though.

I agree with this. A gun is a weapon, treat it as such. When you pull out your gun and show it to your attacker you increase the chance of loosing it to your attacker. Time between flashing your gun and a muzzle flash should be very short.

The guy: He makes bad life choices . . . He smokes for cryin' out loud. I wouldn't expect him to be a genius when it comes to looking for a fire source. He might not be a "Ne'er do well", but he certainly is a "ne'er do smart". The smartest thing he did do is turn and run, changing the situation from a questionable self-defense situation to a definite assault situation on the lady's part.

The lady: Admittedly an older lady (76 Yrs) who may or may not be paranoid, but definitely needs some training (like knowing what is beyond your target). Knowing when you are threatened is also a good thing to know. As soon as the guy turned the threat was gone. Any force after that would have been punishment and illegal. You have to have a badge to get away with that and even then not always. 76 years old, less than 2" barrel, Freaking out, moving target. Like that mother with the daughter, I too would try to say behind the muzzle of the that gun.

Bad situation all the way round . . . Just Sayin'

We don't know the whole story. For all we know, she could have been mugged in a similar situation before, which prompted her to buy a firearm.

By that logic, any woman who has been raped would be completely justified in pulling a gun on any man they see for the rest of their life... [rolleyes]

Some of you guys are exactly where you belong.

For that matter, if another CWP holder was in the parking lot. Saw the woman draw down on an unarmed man. Then drew and shot HER. They would have been perfectly justified under the "defense of others" part of the SD laws.

Though apparently NEW has decided that exercising your 1A right while in a public place is an act deserving of having your life threatened. Before anyone starts crying about the 10 feet. OMFG 10 FEET!!!!! How close together are the doors of 2 parked cars in one of those lots? Somewhere between 1.5-3 ft? For all we know he just asked the person loading groceries in the car parked next to his. What would have happened if he didn't ask any questions, when 10 ft away, and just walked to his car door 2 feet away. Surely he should have been shot for such a brazen act.

I work at walmart. At least 5 days a week I come within just a few feet of people getting in or our of their cars. Somehow I have resisted the urge to point a gun at any of them and scream "I'm gonna kill you!" and they have resisted the same.

Last edited:
"This guy is the bad guy and I'm the one in handcuffs walking away."

The witness said that the women was pointing the gun at the guy as he retreated into the Walmart and was saying "I'm going to shoot you , I'm going to kill you.". We'll wait for the trial to determine guilt however she ended up in the right place... under arrest.

1. I don't really care what she said. Because in a self defense situation you want to intimidate your attacker so they stop. If anything that makes me more inclined to believe she felt that way.
2. She never did actually shoot at the guy.
3. Muzzling the child - she obviously had tunnel vision. Don't be so quick to knock her for it. Talk is cheap but when the adrenaline is pumping, the heart is going a mile a minute and you fear immediate harm you may just do the exact same thing.

All in all probably an overreaction. We weren't there though so who knows. Did he approach her from behind? etc. I can tell you that it is a common tactic for criminals to have one guy try to gain your attention while the other slips behind you. "Hey you got a light." "Hey can you spare a buck", etc. are all common lines...

This is very true,many people don't understand that all threats can't be answered with a gun.You should always carry mace along with a gun,and be ready to deploy them as needed.

Several of you guys are just making the assumption that his story was in fact the true one.
It may have been, but we don't know.

It's ok, in the Pastor's wife murdered and raped thread everybody immediately concluded the pastor did it.

"This guy is the bad guy and I'm the one in handcuffs walking away."

The witness said that the women was pointing the gun at the guy as he retreated into the Walmart and was saying "I'm going to shoot you , I'm going to kill you.". We'll wait for the trial to determine guilt however she ended up in the right place... under arrest.

This.

So guys that think she's at fault here, at what age should they be automatically confiscating firearms from people?

These are why I posted the video of the old lady getting robbed and run over in the Walmart parking lot, it might be the only difference between the two was the first old lady had a gun. We will never know for sure what was in his mind, even after it goes to trial. Bottom line, she's alive, he's alive, no shots fired.

Back
Top Bottom