• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do You carry an extra mag when you conceal carry?

I have been up in the air as if a should carry an extra mag when i CC[thinking]. I feel that on a normal day my 10+1 will definatly do the job if ever needed, but can't help to think of the what if senerios (like.. the mag that is loaded in my pistol malfuctions).If that could even happen? not sure? Or just to have some extra ammo. I also try to be prepared as much as possible some times to much[wink].Any thoughts or suggestions?

D.T.O.M

I have had several magazines fail me, fortunately it was at the range. S&W M&P compact 9mm both magazines malfuctioned the same day and one of the replacement magazines failed to feed also. And my Walther P99 compact wouldn't feed with one of the magazines. ALWAYS carry a spare because your life may depend on it.

You should carry either a spare mag or a spare gun. You don't want to need it and have a malfunction that makes it as useful as a rock.

I have had several magazines fail me, fortunately it was at the range. S&W M&P compact 9mm both magazines malfuctioned the same day and one of the replacement magazines failed to feed also. And my Walther P99 compact wouldn't feed with one of the magazines. ALWAYS carry a spare because your life may depend on it.

Great advice everyone..But this comment just sealed the deal. I also have an M&P 9mmc and have yet to have a problem with any FTF FTE or Mag issues. Do any of you have a suggestion on a particular mag holster.

Great advice everyone..But this comment just sealed the deal. I also have an M&P 9mmc and have yet to have a problem with any FTF FTE or Mag issues. Do any of you have a suggestion on a particular mag holster.

I've had multiple mag failures with my Walther P99 .40 . . . turns out that faulty plastic used to make the baseplates caused a serious problem with them.

I carry 2 spares at all times that I'm armed, no matter what gun.

For the M&P 9c (never had an issue with any of my M&Ps), I highly recommend the "Don Hume D421 Double Stack A" double mag pouch.

You should carry either a spare mag or a spare gun. You don't want to need it and have a malfunction that makes it as useful as a rock.

Rocks fly better… I carry an extra for my K40, even though I have 1000+ failure-free rounds at the range. I think I'm safe there though... 6+1 isn't enough anyway. + another 6 is nice, and it fits fine in the pocket. One recommendation… If you carry a spare in your pocket, empty and blow it out weekly, lint buildup is probably a bad thing...

The problem it seems to me is when you ask someone if they carry an extra mag, the objection always has something to do with capacity ("I'll never need 20 rounds..") and never the fact that their mag doesn't malfuction.

I started carrying a spare mag a few months ago in a Joab Horizontal Magazine Pouch (bullets facing down) on Hanwei's recommendation. It's an excellent mag pouch. Positioning can sometimes be tricky depending on what pants I'm wearing, but it has an EXCELLENT draw, and having a spare mag affords me some peace of mind.

I started carrying a spare mag a few months ago in a Joab Horizontal Magazine Pouch (bullets facing down) on Hanwei's recommendation. It's an excellent mag pouch. Positioning can sometimes be tricky depending on what pants I'm wearing, but it has an EXCELLENT draw, and having a spare mag affords me some peace of mind.

Yup. I've got two, one for my 1911 and one for my P229.

Looking back, I can recall very few weapon malfunctions that were due to the weapon or ammo. I can recall a LOT of malfunctions that were due to the feeding mechanism (magazine or belt). Carry an extra mag, and practice reload drills.

I don't carry since I'm not 21 yet and only have a FID. When I get my LTC and carry I will carry an extra mag. The post above mention mag failures which would be a big problem but another problem would be accidentally hitting mag release especially if you have to draw in your vehicle and your only mag falls between the seat. That's the last thing you would want to happen in a life or death situation.

Carry an extra mag for my M&P9 FS, not for the ammo but in case their is a magazine malfunction. If I carried a gun that was single stack (Like 1911) or a wheelgun, I'd def be carrying a speed loader or two. Reading a lot of the police reports, home invasions usually occur with 3 people.

I always carry a spare mag, in a Gerber multi-tool pouch. It fits perfectly.

AWESOME! Out of the pocket it comes!

Not only do I carry a spare mag I also have a few in the car (all range tested for functionality.... don't forget this part).

And off I go to my other favorite store (after the HD Dealer in town) to piss off Significant Other and buy a couple spares to live in the car...

Is it this time of the month again? [wink]

I always carry a spare mag for mechanical malfunctions. If you don't have spares now, you should get some. There are several places online to get them cheaper than MSRP. Try gregcotellc.com for starters. As a rule, I have at least my main and spare SD mags (loaded with JHP) and then one more for the range. It just makes it more convenient to not have to unload mags when I get to the range.

When I used to CCW back in the good old days.... I always carried 2 extra magazines for whatever gun I had on me, and if I had 2 guns, extra ammo for the second one too!

I went to work one night with my G17, 18 rounds in the gun, 2 extra mags with 15 rounds each, with my Model 13 S&W as a backup 6 in the gun, 12 in speed loaders, and for good measure my Raven .25ACP 7 in the gun, 14 in magazines.

You can never be too rich, too thin, or too armed

Back
Top Bottom