Do they see military history for background checks?

I just got back with my interview with the police officer here in my town in MA and I kept got asked questions about my military history. Anyways my question is I got an NJP while I was in and I am pretty nervous that I won't be issued my FID card because of it. Will they see all my military history when they do my background check?

without knowing what or if you got 'convicted' of anything, i would say it all depends on what NJP you got. most minor article 15s or 'non judicial punishments' are kept 'in house' - meaning that the records dont leave the unit. if u got a field grade article 15 or went to jail because you got convicted of a serious crime like robbery, arson, or rape, then i would say that yeah, it will most likely be on your record.

if you got njp because u were drunk or missed formation, i wouldnt give it a second thought. that is just an administrative punishment and millions of guys out there have gotten one of those

I would assume if it was something in online records yes they would see it but in a SRB highly doubt they would go pulling it from records to see if you got a NJP or page 11 or something along those lines.

I have at least one (maybe 2) Article 15s, but weren't field grade. They gave me LTC first shot well before I ever joined the department. In fact, I used the fact I have training through the military (EOF, ROE) in my letter to the Chief and got it unrestricted. Hope it helps..

I dont believe the gov allows any of your mil records to be seen by anyone without your written permission.

This may come across as harsh....as a retired officer that owns a professional service firm..there isn't a chance in hell I would hire anyone that served without obtaining a sealed DD-214......if its clean its the fastest green light I know of to concluding that I have the right person.....any "spots" on it ought NEVER be sealed....once you commit....you aren't a juvenile and conduct ought never be expungable...harsh perhaps..but thats my view.

This may come across as harsh....as a retired officer that owns a professional service firm..there isn't a chance in hell I would hire anyone that served without obtaining a sealed DD-214......if its clean its the fastest green light I know of to concluding that I have the right person.....any "spots" on it ought NEVER be sealed....once you commit....you aren't a juvenile and conduct ought never be expungable...harsh perhaps..but thats my view.

Why so? I think it is actually illegal for someone to ask you for your DD214 unless it is a government type job.

Speaking as a retired officer myself, it is unduly harsh. The whole concept of the Article 15 when the UCMJ replaced the Articles of War after WW2 was to allow for minor offenses to be dealt with in house with no lasting stigma attached to a service member's career. Of course as incipient careerism invaded the ranks this concept faded and many adopted the harsh tight assed attitude promulgated by yourself. Some 18 year old kid gets two weeks extra duty because they missed formation several times should hardly be something that should stigmatize them for the rest of their lives. If there is a pattern of behavior, then it is a different story.

Clearly the corncob that was firmly embedded in your arse upon reaching field grade rank has remained firmly embedded. I'm just glad you were never my senior rater and that I never served with you, although there are certainly plenty more where you came from. My local MOAA Chapter has several like you and I take great delight in busting their chops when I see them. Pompous, self important and oh yes, harsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my limited experience (I only gave one Article 15 myself, though I had a lot of soldiers who got them from others), it's rare that your offense was severe enough to go on your restricted fiche. The only time I saw it happen was when a soldier went AWOL from a school specifically so that he could miss the unit's movement to JRTC. Every other Article 15 I've been aware of stayed in-house, and that includes some drug offenses and even a private who hit an NCO while drunk.

mark056 is qute right; the whole point of nonjudicial punishment is that it's meant to provide a clean slate. Article 15 is one of the Pentagon's rare enlightened ideas, IMO. If you want a soldier penalized for life, that's what a non-honorable discharge is for. If not, even most Article 15s are safe from Beecher Tool's prying eyes.

As i was once told by a senior nco, no good nco has never received an article 15. Back in topic-they don't have access to your military records. Unless someone gave them to them.

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer

As i was once told by a senior nco, no good nco has never received an article 15. Back in topic-they don't have access to your military records. Unless someone gave them to them.

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer

Exactly. I'm pretty sure everyone in the military, enlisted anyway, gets at least one Article 15 in their time of service, I just think my rights were a little violated when he asked me if I got any of them.

A few comments... -You probably want to run one thread. I see multiple out here for the same thing from you. -NJPs "don't count" once you get out. They aren't on your DD214. A DD214 does show if your Good Cookie time gets reset though and that you don't have a Good Cookie. -If you're 20 like you said in another thread, you did 2 years and got an honorable discharge? Just an NJP isn't going to get you out in less than four years. I think there might be more to your story and it's kind of worthless asking for our advice if you aren't completely forthcoming, which I wouldn't blame you being on a public forum... - last thing, if you got booted, why are you running around with a screen name like "dont tread on me1775"? That's a pretty salty name lol...

A few comments... -You probably want to run one thread. I see multiple out here for the same thing from you. -NJPs "don't count" once you get out. They aren't on your DD214. A DD214 does show if your Good Cookie time gets reset though and that you don't have a Good Cookie. -If you're 20 like you said in another thread, you did 2 years and got an honorable discharge? Just an NJP isn't going to get you out in less than four years. I think there might be more to your story and it's kind of worthless asking for our advice if you aren't completely forthcoming, which I wouldn't blame you being on a public forum... - last thing, if you got booted, why are you running around with a screen name like "dont tread on me1775"? That's a pretty salty name lol...
There are enlistments that require less than 4 years of active duty time. When I was at Ft. Sill for FDC school I ran into a whole class of Army guys that were on 2-year contracts.

I got only one NJP but I got out due to medical issues. I really don't like giving out too much info on the internet. And I just want to get as much feedback as I can, I am just like that I guess I can go kinda over board a little on the asking questions lol. And the name, my intent was not to use it from military, I just like the meaning and 1775 was just a year I thought of in my head that reminded me of the revolutionary war lol. I guess it does sound a little salty and moto

Last edited:
There are enlistments that require less than 4 years of active duty time. When I was at Ft. Sill for FDC school I ran into a whole class of Army guys that were on 2-year contracts.
Not in the Corps brother. 4x4 or 6x2. Any less and something happened.

I got only one NJP but I got out due to medical issues. I really don't like giving out too much info on the internet. And I just want to get as much feedback as I can, I am just like that I guess I can go kinda over board a little on the asking questions lol. And the name, my intent was not to use it from military, I just like the meaning and 1775 was just a year I thought of in my head that reminded me of the revolutionary war lol. I guess it does sound a little salty and moto
Sorry to hear about the med issues. Tough break. Good luck and remember, NJPs are a non-issue. Don't make them one.

True enough. I didn't realize the OP was in the Marines. More than one branch was formed in 1775...not that any of the others matter [wink].
Lol. I always forget. Whenever I see 1775, I'm always thinking 10 Nov 1775 lol... That coupled with the Gadsden quote, Gadsden was arguably the first Marine flag, and I'm assuming.

Last edited:
True enough. I didn't realize the OP was in the Marines. More than one branch was formed in 1775...not that any of the others matter [wink].

Well, when the Army was created on June 14, 1775 the Founding Fathers realized that sooner or later there would be a Marine Corps and there needed to be some kind of military organization to bail them out when they (the Marines) got into a jam [wink]

We aren't the proud or the few, just the suffering and the many, but one way or another we adapt, overcome and usually get the job done, sometimes by the skin of our teeth, I'll admit and often times with the USMC covering our backside and vice versa. [thumbsup]

mmmm Lawton, OK.....

Not in the Corps brother. 4x4 or 6x2. Any less and something happened.

yeh, Army enlistment (at least in the mid-late '90s) was an 8 year term..... you could break it up however..... depending on MOS....
i did 6x2 but i know some active duty guys who were only in for 2......

Last edited:
Thanks and the officer seemed to make them one lol
A polite explanation that it's none of his damn business would be in order... I would send an anonymous message to the COP and let the Vet Rep in your town know. If he's worth anything, that question won't be asked again. What non-vet cops don't understand is that you can get an NJP for having a bottle of alcohol in your barracks and a million other infractions that are meaningless in the civilian world.

A polite explanation that it's none of his damn business would be in order... I would send an anonymous message to the COP and let the Vet Rep in your town know. If he's worth anything, that question won't be asked again. What non-vet cops don't understand is that you can get an NJP for having a bottle of alcohol in your barracks and a million other infractions that are meaningless in the civilian world.

I saw a Marine get NJP'ed for being the roommate of another Marine that got a DUI over the weekend. Seriously, that's it. The CO just really had a hard on for mass punishment.

I saw a Marine get NJP'ed for being the roommate of another Marine that got a DUI over the weekend. Seriously, that's it. The CO just really had a hard on for mass punishment.
I've seen some f'd up ones for sure, but that's a new one on me! Scary...

1. Don't you think that the COP could put 2 plus 2 together and figure out who the sender of the anonymous message might be?

2. What makes you think that the COP cares, or is even pro-veteran. Some of you have to get over the fact that many police officers are not pro-veteran and actually resent them. Why, because they have had to compete against them for jobs, and depending on the situation, veterans can get preference over non-vets, then too some cops are just plain resentful and jealous of the fact.
3. As much as I hate to say it, there are a lot of town veteran agents who are little more than political hacks, not all, but some, and some are well meaning but just not competent. There are some like the one in Leominster who is highly competent and professional, a Marine BTW.

WTF?

*unless you get a court martial, which is a FEDERAL CONVICTION, you don't have to say jack or shit about NJP. end of story.

there is nothing on a DD214 that refers to NJP. but i've been wrong before.

- - - Updated - - -

your screen name is quite fitting. *tool*

I would tell you to "Phuck Off!" and shove the job up your ass!

Last edited:
WTF?

*unless you get a court martial, which is a FEDERAL CONVICTION, you don't have to say jack or shit about NJP. end of story.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow......put up a simple post and watch the venom flow....time to take a step back and try to frame....context matters:

In my second life, I am the Managing Partner of a CPA firm...offices NYC, Chicago and SF. Our clients include private clients, public entities, and several contracts with DOD. We are a professional services firm...other than administrative staff everyone we hire is either an attorney, or an individual eligible to sit for the CPA exam which requires a graduate degree. We are fully subject to Graham Leach Bailey, USA Patriot, and all of the financial regulatory statutes plus state law, and deal with sensitive and confidential financial information. Its the same with any other major public accounting firm, I am formerly an equity partner with Arthur Andersen. As part of our interview process, without exception we request permission to obtain, do obtain and review:

1. Sealed University transcripts from each and every institution that a prospective employee attended.
2. Run a full credit report
3. Undertake an outside agency such as Kroll Associates to undertake a personal background investigation
4. For anyone with military service or similar request a DD-214
5. Process a hair fiber sample drug screen
6. Request a compliance clearance from the Internal Revenue Service

It is no different than what is done today by each and every major professional service firm, and less stringent that the background check run by FBI and related agencies for any Federal job which requires a security clearance. As anyone with the background would know....for criminal records....anyone applying for a firearms license is subject to a record review which INCLUDES information which is not available to the public doing a query.

My premise is this.....if an act is below an established threshold such as an Article 15 action...great it never shows up. If the reporter of the information deems it significant enough to include it...as a prospective employer, having requested permission, I have the right to view it, if permission is denied for access I have the absolute right to reject the applicant, and there are NO absolute rules with respect with regard to how I, as a prospective employer, might act based upon the information obtained. My discretion permits me to hire a person with a juvenile felony conviction, just as it does to reject an applicant with bad credit...MY CHOICE..period so long as applicable civil rights law is respected.

Conclusion being....I am not hiring someone to wash dishes, or mow your lawn...its a professional position of trust...and good business practice which is broadly accepted......and if you apply for an FFL with BATFE all of it is certainly fair game. Sorry if anyone took it the wrong way.

WTF?

- - - Updated - - -

Once again....in a given context...clearly even expunged items are available to local LEO in reviewing an application...my comments were from the perspective of an employer interviewing an employee...nothing sought without voluntary consent...if an individual doesn't want to consent...the process stops...respecting the rights of both parties.

- - - Updated - - -

Why so? I think it is actually illegal for someone to ask you for your DD214 unless it is a government type job.

See my later post if permission is requested and received its perfectly legal to ask.

Back
Top Bottom