Do "Pre-ban" Flattop AR-15 uppers exist?

Mass-diver

NES Member
Did any of the major companies (colt, BM, etc) make a pre-ban flat-top/removable carry handle upper before the AWB?

The reason why I ask, is that despite the fact that my post-ban BM M4 shoots like a dream, I find myself really wanting some evil features. However, I've found pre-ban lowers to be hard to find and very expensive, so I've found myself considering just buying a complete pre-ban rifle. I've seen many pre-ban lowers going for $800 or more and complete pre-ban colts (for example) in the $1,500 range.

My one problem is that a flat top/pic rail is a must for me, so can I find a pre-ban weapon set up this way?

Thanks!

I believe Colt started selling them around '92, so there are a few pre-ban flattop Colts. Last time I was down at Zero Hour Arms they had one for sale for $1500.

Just replace the upper when you get it.You should recoup 90% of the cost by selling the takeoff.

Greg, my concern is that there is not much of a market for pre-ban uppers as they can only go on pre-ban lowers.

jdubois, thanks, been meaning to check out ZHA for a while now anyways....

Greg, my concern is that there is not much of a market for pre-ban uppers as they can only go on pre-ban lowers.

jdubois, thanks, been meaning to check out ZHA for a while now anyways....

A pre ban upper can go on a no-ban (post sunset) lower in nearly every state except for ours and CA. If you can't find a flat top preban rifle (ZHA is the best place to look, IMHO), buy a preban with a carry handle and slap the upper on gunbroker or ar15.com. However, market on preban lowers is more like 500. I saw them at Four Seasons and ZHA for that amount the last time I was at each shop.

Don't be afraid to get a complete gun and chuck the upper! Its a modular gun, rebuild it as you see fit!

Another thing to remember is if you end up with a "big hole" Colt lower, you'll need to get something a little out of the ordinary. You can either get an off-set pin and use a normal upper, or Daniel Defense makes a big hole flat top upper, which you can then add your barrel,etc of choice.

--EasyD

A pre ban upper can go on a no-ban (post sunset) lower in nearly every state except for ours and CA. If you can't find a flat top preban rifle (ZHA is the best place to look, IMHO), buy a preban with a carry handle and slap the upper on gunbroker or ar15.com. However, market on preban lowers is more like 500. I saw them at Four Seasons and ZHA for that amount the last time I was at each shop.

I was at ZHA today and he has no pre ban lowers and said they would be at least $750 if he had any. I also called four seasons and Collectors coin gallery and nobody I can find has a pre ban lower. It is looking like it is better to buy a pre ban rifle and do what you need??

Back
Top Bottom