Do fancy lowers make a difference?

There is only a hand full of companies that make lowers, and most of them subcontract their product to other companies who then rebrand the lowers with their logo.
And most of that rebranding is pure sh*t.

All those laser designs are mostly crap. The first scratch and the design looks like crap because the depth is like 0.0001". If you can cover it with cerakote, it is cheap.

If you go GUCCI, dont fall for the lame laser designs, they will be ruined the first time your rest your rifle on the shooting bench.

Last edited:
I tend to stick with forged upper/lowers. The Gucci milled sometimes look cool but I don’t like throwing on needless weight where you don’t get a functional advantage. I realize there are some ambi stuff like right hand bolt lock/mag release going on with a few interesting ones like Triarc etc. but that only really matters when you a looking a split times blasting paper at 7-10 yards. I enjoy building “field” style rifles rather than go fast/Gucci bling/bench only.

so any comments on polymer vs aluminum lowers?
I think Carl, Ian and Russell Phagan have addressed all the issues of polymer lowers at various times on InRange. It boils down to the fact that you always have a weak spot in a polymer lower in the back where the buffer tube attaches. They are proponents of the monolithic polymer A2 one piece design because it solves the weak point issue. I think Russell’s company is building the lowers for the Brownells WWSD rifle. But this means you cannot have an adjustable stock If that is important to you.

I think Carl, Ian and Russell Phagan have addressed all the issues of polymer lowers at various times on InRange. It boils down to the fact that you always have a weak spot in a polymer lower in the back where the buffer tube attaches. They are proponents of the monolithic polymer A2 one piece design because it solves the weak point issue. I think Russell’s company is building the lowers for the Brownells WWSD rifle. But this means you cannot have an adjustable stock If that is important to you.

When you say "Monolithic polymer" do you mean like the polymer lowers Cav Arms used to make (before they got whacked) which basically, housed the stock, lower, buffer tube, all as one unit?

When you say "Monolithic polymer" do you mean like the polymer lowers Cav Arms used to make (before they got whacked) which basically, housed the stock, lower, buffer tube, all as one unit?

The new InRange/Brownell's/KE Arms WWSD/KE-15 is based on the CavArms lowers.

Yes. In fact I think Cav Arms is out of business now but Carl originality experimented with builds on them. I do remember him saying that one time they accidentally ran over one with a vehicle and it still worked. (It may have been on purpose, can’t remember exactly)

Yes. In fact I think Cav Arms is out of business now but Carl originality experimented with builds on them. I do remember him saying that one time they accidentally ran over one with a vehicle and it still worked. (It may have been on purpose, can’t remember exactly)

Russell Phagan, aka Sinistral Rifleman, was a "Responsible Person" at CavArms:

CAV ARMS LOSES FFL TO ATF and OWNER ADMITS TO ILLEGALLY SELLING 40 GUNS, COULD DO TIME. - Page 6 - AR15.COM

So, he's been involved with the idea before.

Back
Top Bottom