• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Disarm Pistol Technique

Hmm, not sure I would have time to do this after wetting myself.

[video=youtube_share;tOnr6Jqqg-Y]http://youtu.be/tOnr6Jqqg-Y[/video]

Pretty fast guy. Seen people I respect ( Like Rex Applegate ) say it can be done fairly reliably.

Note to self : dont use one hand to poke tough guy in face with muzzle if you can shoot him from further out.

For a knife you can do the same thing except slap the back of the hand instead of grabbing the blade. The knife goes flying so you'll need to practice tactical rolls if you want to take possession.

Gun disarming techniques work, but do take a lot of practice. And yes, they can be done fast. I teach them as a last ditch effort because they are dangerous. Given that the attacker's finger will be on the trigger, the gun will probably go off. If you step offline as part of your first step, it won't be you that gets shot, but it might be someone else if they are in the wrong place. If you think you are about to get shot and there are no other options, disarm.

I am not fond of the particular technique shown as it relies on hitting a small location on the wrist. Works well with a cooperative training partner, but perhaps not so much when its real. I prefer techniques that are not as reliant on hitting such a small location.

Also, never use your assailant's gun against him as you don't know the condition of the weapon. It may not even be real, may not be loaded, may be jammed, etc. Proper technique is to disarm, then draw your own firearm.

Last edited:
I have yet to read a report, or talk to a victim who described a gun being pointed at them close enough to do a technique like this... Maybe I'm sheltered.

This is funny,they are making it look like it's something new. We did that years ago, but used water pistols to see how many times you could disarm the person without getting shot.Like DavidK said you need alot of practice.

This is funny,they are making it look like it's something new. We did that years ago, but used water pistols to see how many times you could disarm the person without getting shot.Like DavidK said you need alot of practice.

So what was the success rate? There must have been a lot of wet shirts.

Gun disarming techniques work, but do take a lot of practice. And yes, they can be done fast. I teach them as a last ditch effort because they are dangerous. Given that the attacker's finger will be on the trigger, the gun will probably go off. If you step offline as part of your first step, it won't be you that gets shot, but it might be someone else if they are in the wrong place. If you think you are about to get shot and there are no other options, disarm.

I am not fond of the particular technique shown as it relies on hitting a small location on the wrist. Works well with a cooperative training partner, but perhaps not so much when its real.

Also, never use your assailant's gun against him as you don't know the condition of the weapon. It may not even be real, may not be loaded, may be jammed, etc. Proper technique is to disarm, then draw your own firearm.

Good advice. I was actually thinking about that last part you mentioned (condition of the weapon, loaded or unloaded, fake, etc) while watching that video and thinking that the "victim" may not have ended that fight just by the disarm alone if it was an aggressive, determined assailant - especially if the gun was not in condition one, or was fake. That is something only the attacker would know, unless you as the victim happen to be knowledgeable about the particular nuances of whatever gun he happened to be using. In MA it would be fairly simple with most of the newer compliant guns with the red chamber indicators, but not for most street weapons, especially older, or free state versions.

I would imagine if you have a gun point blank to your head, you don't have a whole lot of other options than to move and try to disarm, correct?

Hard to generalize, but most likely. Most attackers are untrained and want to use intimidation so they tend to stand close. If I were to face a gunman, I would prefer him close as that leave open the possibility of a disarm. A gunman 10 feet away knows what he is doing and can not be disarmed.

I alway teach that if you have to hold someone at gunpoint, do so at a distance.

In MA it would be fairly simple with most of the newer compliant guns with the red chamber indicators, but not for most street weapons, especially older, or free state versions.

Under the tremendous stress of the incident you will not be of the mindset to check a chamber indicator. That thought won't cross your mind. If in the dark, you may bot be able to see an indicator. Even so, you don't know if the gun actually works, nor the condition of the cartridge. You wont have time to examine the gun to know if there is a safety etc. Best practice is to draw your own weapon.

My dad does Krav Maga and lately they've been doing more and more disarming armed attacker routines.
The scenerios don't seem very real world but hey every little bit of training helps.

I took a 2 day course from Michael in Boston a few years ago, I would only ever use this if I had no other choice.

Random guy disarms shotgun.

Last edited by a moderator:

I took a 2 day course from Michael in Boston a few years ago, I would only ever use this if I had no other choice.

He has some nice techniques, but as I stated above, using the assailant's gun is not a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why you should have two snap caps in the magazine and always carry on an empty chamber, if TM knew this move it would have been GZ that was dead

I am not fond of the particular technique shown as it relies on hitting a small location on the wrist. Works well with a cooperative training partner, but perhaps not so much when its real. I prefer techniques that are not as reliant on hitting such a small location.

They showed us a similar technique, but instead of moving the gun horizontally to disarm, move the gun vertically *rotate barrel upwards towards BG's face*. You have the leverage of the barrel to overpower the guys grip. Just as fast with the added bonus of shattering the BG's trigger finger. Still takes a lot of training, that no one hardly ever does to do it as fast as that video. Either way, I'd probably poop myself mid-technique.

Action is faster than reaction, as long as you move first, you 'should' be able to pull it off.

The only part missing from that scenario is the word of hurt your going to be in if it does go off. Deaf and probably blinded. Even if the bullet misses you.
The guy is fast though, i'll give him that.

Back
Top Bottom