• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Disarm Pistol Technique

I have yet to read a report, or talk to a victim who described a gun being pointed at them close enough to do a technique like this... Maybe I'm sheltered.

I'll fix that for you. A friend of mine did it, but he had an advantage. He thought the gun was fake. He snatched it out of the punk's hand and the punk went running. I was the only licensed person he knew and he contacted me to find out how to rid himself of the gun.

The Krav Maga instruction I've had teaches to use the weapon as a striking implement as soon as you have it. Trying to get the gun operational could be slow and cause you to lose the initiative. NEVER lose the initiative. Disarm the attacker and instantly use combatives while you're inside their OODA loop. Finish the fight before they know they're in one.

Our disarms are different than the ones seen here and stress controlling the muzzle up or down rather than "out". I believe this comes from the crowded nature of Israel... always assume there are innocents around you.

Try to get the attacker to talk and do your disarm when they start talking ... it distracts their mind and gives you an extra fraction of a second. Pretend you didn't hear them, ask a question, start talking in a foreign language, look scared and ask if it's a real gun ... anything to get them to respond verbally.

Davidk's point about distance is crucial ... if they are not within arm's reach you cannot disarm.

Learning a fast disarm is like learning anything else, such as a fast draw ... learn the proper moves then practice them until they're second-nature. You'll become smooth, efficient, and fast. And if you've learned properly, you won't telegraph ... you'll go from standing there to your disarm in a blink.

We have stress drills for our defensive techniques in Krav Maga ... your classmates attack agressively and you have to react. I've done plenty of pistol and long arm disarms under stress, and feel comfortable with my ability ... but any situation can be unpredictable and nobody's technique works 100% every time. I'll only attempt a disarm to defend life. I don't care about my wallet, car, or other possessions enough to defend them with a disarm attempt.

The Krav Maga instruction I've had teaches to use the weapon as a striking implement as soon as you have it. Trying to get the gun operational could be slow and cause you to lose the initiative. NEVER lose the initiative. Disarm the attacker and instantly use combatives while you're inside their OODA loop. Finish the fight before they know they're in one.

Our disarms are different than the ones seen here and stress controlling the muzzle up or down rather than "out". I believe this comes from the crowded nature of Israel... always assume there are innocents around you.

Try to get the attacker to talk and do your disarm when they start talking ... it distracts their mind and gives you an extra fraction of a second. Pretend you didn't hear them, ask a question, start talking in a foreign language, look scared and ask if it's a real gun ... anything to get them to respond verbally.

Davidk's point about distance is crucial ... if they are not within arm's reach you cannot disarm.

Learning a fast disarm is like learning anything else, such as a fast draw ... learn the proper moves then practice them until they're second-nature. You'll become smooth, efficient, and fast. And if you've learned properly, you won't telegraph ... you'll go from standing there to your disarm in a blink.

We have stress drills for our defensive techniques in Krav Maga ... your classmates attack agressively and you have to react. I've done plenty of pistol and long arm disarms under stress, and feel comfortable with my ability ... but any situation can be unpredictable and nobody's technique works 100% every time. I'll only attempt a disarm to defend life. I don't care about my wallet, car, or other possessions enough to defend them with a disarm attempt.

Is "Eye of the Tiger" playing in your head 100% or 50% of the time?

Is "Eye of the Tiger" playing in your head 100% or 50% of the time?
You funny. Do you have anything substantive to add to the conversation based on your own training?

So what do you do if the guy is just out of reach?
You won't be doing a disarm if he's out of reach.

Why would you strike someone with a gun?
To end their assault in the quickest manner possible.

Most people try to strike with the butt of the gun, leaving the muzzle pointed at yourself. Terrible idea
Well ... learn the right way to do it ...

In MA it would be fairly simple with most of the newer compliant guns with the red chamber indicators, but not for most street weapons, especially older, or free state versions.

serious.jpg

Hard block.... Sorry ... Move the target off the X , try to control the weapon and disable the bad guy.

I learned a different one. And that other guy another other one. Martial art system pissing contests are fun , but people's feelings get hurt easily.

Someone cue up Tom cruise animated GIF , shooting those two bad guys , same technique would work against gun to head I think ... But it make for cooler video tape in the courtroom.

I was actually being a bit sarcastic about the MA safety crap our guns are equipped with, but if you think about it, those "red flag" chamber indicators are a decent visual cue of a gun definitely having a chambered round. Obviously this is all theoretical anyway since most people wouldn't be coherent enough to process that info with the stress of a gun pointed at them anyway.

Also, never use your assailant's gun against him as you don't know the condition of the weapon. It may not even be real, may not be loaded, may be jammed, etc. Proper technique is to disarm, then draw your own firearm.

Agreed... But if it goes bang once during the disarm, there's a chance it will go bang again when pointed back at the BG.

If I have nothing, I'll try to use the gun from the BG. If I do have mine, then yes, I could draw and fire faster than trying to get the proper grip to shoot the former.

Agreed... But if it goes bang once during the disarm, there's a chance it will go bang again when pointed back at the BG.

If I have nothing, I'll try to use the gun from the BG. If I do have mine, then yes, I could draw and fire faster than trying to get the proper grip to shoot the former.

If... And this is a BIG if.... You get gun away from bad guy, a tap & rack should be the end of every technique. If it went bang during disarm, and you were holding it, it could failed to go into battery.

If... And this is a BIG if.... You get gun away from bad guy, a tap & rack should be the end of every technique. If it went bang during disarm, and you were holding it, it could failed to go into battery.

That is what I was taught as well -- tap & rack as you withdraw from the perp.

That is what I was taught as well -- tap & rack as you withdraw from the perp.

Yep, that is the way I learned as well. Of course, if it's a revolver, it's not going to matter doing that drill.[laugh]

Just because the gun fired during a disarm, does not mean that it will fire again. It may not reload properly, the ammo may not work well, and it might not even have more than one round. Best practice to secure the assailants' firearm and draw your own.

Back
Top Bottom