Disappearance of the WASR-10

gene

NES Member
I know I read it on the Four Seasons web site but I got curious and started doing searches for the WASR-10 and it seems they really have dried up and whats out there is much MO money than last year if you buy the hicap versions.

Last year several of the MA dealers had them. I wonder where they all went to.[thinking]

I think the importation of them stopped for some reason. Other forums are full of speculation, but I haven't seen an answer I'm confident in. So, it raises the question, what are the options these days for a decent inexpensive AK?

My guess is the Saiga.

I did buy the Wasr-10 a couple of years ago and fortunitely is was a straight shooter out of the box and no canting problems.

But the Saiga doesn't have a pistol grip. How hard are they to convert to normal AK configuration, and what are the legal issues involved?

Some Saigas are coming in now in standard pistol grip config. Not sure if they're Mass ok or not.
Theres a thread somewhere about WASR10s drying up, I'd look for it but am short on time right now (lunch break).

Domestic Saiga cannot have more than 10 imported parts, so you have to replace enough imported parts with US ones to get down to imported 10 parts. On pistol gripped Saigas, you need 5 US parts.
Non pistol gripped Saigas only need 4.

Add US Parts
buttstock
pistolgrip (new part, not on original)
trigger
hammer
disconnector

All of these are easy to change out and finally throw in a bullet guide, purchased or homemade and your ready for any standard AK mags.

They are selling the Saiga now with the pistol grip if you don't want to do the work. I saw a nice one at North Shore Firearms two weeks ago.

WASR-10's are still out there. Your dealers just aren't carrying them. Low-Cap WASR's are almost certainly no longer imported, but Hi-Cap WASR's are still available.

The major importer for these was Century Arms, their website still shows them, and SOG still shows them, and they buy most of their stuff from Century.

WASR-10's are still out there. Your dealers just aren't carrying them. Low-Cap WASR's are almost certainly no longer imported, but Hi-Cap WASR's are still available.

The major importer for these was Century Arms, their website still shows them, and SOG still shows them, and they buy most of their stuff from Century.

A lot of the internet dealers are either not carrying them like they used to or they are on back order. The ones I have seen seem to be up in price as well.

Some Saigas are coming in now in standard pistol grip config. Not sure if they're Mass ok or not.
Theres a thread somewhere about WASR10s drying up, I'd look for it but am short on time right now (lunch break).

the main thread that people keep showing for the reason the wasr10 dried up is fake, as people have already proven. but somehow people continue to post it and think its real.

(im talking about the one that mentions NATO as a reason.)

the main thread that people keep showing for the reason the wasr10 dried up is fake, as people have already proven. but somehow people continue to post it and think its real.

(im talking about the one that mentions NATO as a reason.)

I would like to see facts as I looked and I can assure you that from what I saw on the internet they are not as available or as cheap as they used to be. None of the MA dealers seem to have any as they used to last year and even the internet gun sellers are back ordering. I am not as worried about the Wasr-10 as I am in trying to figure out what happened to the inexpensive 762x39.

Prices have gone up some. That applies to pretty much everything, especially gas.

Single Stack WASR's aren't seen any more, IIRC. I don't think Century showed Single Stack WASR's on their web site.

I would like to see facts as I looked and I can assure you that from what I saw on the internet they are not as available or as cheap as they used to be. None of the MA dealers seem to have any as they used to last year and even the internet gun sellers are back ordering. I am not as worried about the Wasr-10 as I am in trying to figure out what happened to the inexpensive 762x39.

In case you haven't noticed, ammo prices across the board have nearly doubled in the last year.

im not saying that there isnt a big reason that there arent any wasr-10s in stock, what i am saying is the article that stated romanias entrance into NATO had forced them to stop exporting them. like i said, a lot of people have linked to that post using it as a explanation despite the fact that me and a few others proved it wrong in the same thread. NATO had nothing to do with it.
anyway, ive asked 3 MA gun stores why they are gone and not a single one knows, and none of them are saying random odd reasons for them being gone. the main importer of them should of sent out a official memo in regards to it, apparently they didnt.

anyway, ive asked 3 MA gun stores why they are gone and not a single one knows, and none of them are saying random odd reasons for them being gone. the main importer of them should of sent out a official memo in regards to it, apparently they didnt.

Welcome to the world of miitary surplus collecting and the politics that go with it.
Sometimes there are explanations such as the Russian semi auto theories and even then no one knows for sure. It basically comes down to what the importers are telling us and what we hear from various sources. Even then chances are we'll never really know.
Me... I'm thankful for what we have and especially what we can buy in Massachusetts!

Back
Top Bottom