Dillon XL650 mounting

I an new to reloading and I am going to get a Dillon XL650 in the near future.
Does anyone have the mounting hole dimensions? Diameter and Center to
Center distances?

I can make my own strong mount for next to nothing. Saving the $45 can
get me other supplies, hardware. Going to make a bullet tray too.

Thanks,
Malodave

I an new to reloading and I am going to get a Dillon XL650 in the near future.
Does anyone have the mounting hole dimensions? Diameter and Center to
Center distances?

I can make my own strong mount for next to nothing. Saving the $45 can
get me other supplies, hardware. Going to make a bullet tray too.

Thanks,
Malodave

I made my own "Strong Mounts" because they were not available when I first started reloading on my Dillon machines. I made these mounts out of soft pine (2X6s) and they didn't hold up to the stress very well. I solved the problem by reinforcing the mounts with steel braces. This solution worked and these mounts are still solid, 20 years later.

My home made mounts worked well and have lasted quite a while, but I had to do it all over again, I think I would go with the Dillon mounts.

From the thread link:

This is for a 550...

Outside (it tapers so the front and back are different)
back = 12 3/4 - ctc = 11 3/8"
front = 12 1/2 - ctc = 11 1/8"
front to back 10" - ctc = 9"

Those Dimensions only give the dimensions for the base of the strong mount. I can make
those anything I want. I need the mounting holes on the press it self. PS I have access
to a CNC Plasma cutter to cut them out.

Malodave

Although I built a custom-height bench, I can't see any reason to buy the "strong mount." As long as your benchtop has a slight overhang you can bolt it right to your bench. The only thing you can't install is the bullet tray without the strong mount.

Chris

The advantage of the "Strong Mount" is the height. I moved all of my presses 8 in above the bench with my home made mounts. Much easier to operate the press; no bending at the waist.

bench.jpg
Spare room in the attic, perfect spot for a reloading room!

standing at 6'6" tall, the strong mount on a normal height bench works well for me. no bending.

Last edited:
Although I built a custom-height bench, I can't see any reason to buy the "strong mount." As long as your benchtop has a slight overhang you can bolt it right to your bench. The only thing you can't install is the bullet tray without the strong mount.

Chris

Editing my post a bit to cut it down. Height is exactly it. If your bench is too low you have to bend your back to press the handle all the way down.. Bending and twisting your back is not good in high repetition. My bench doubles as a workbench. It wasn't quite high enough to have my press mounted in a way that didn't require some bending with the handle in the full down position. The mount easily solved that.

Last edited:
I use the Inline Fabrication strong mount on my Hornady LNL AP and Classic , and I ended up switching from the roller ergo handle, back to the stock handle, because although the press height was perfect, the handle for my height didnt work well. I was pushing forward instead of down on the priming, and I can feel a kink in my hip after awhile.

attachment.php

I will enventually get an inline fabrication, stock style roller handle, but for now the regular one is fine.
This pick shows the roller ergo, that I no longer use.

Back
Top Bottom