• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon Case Lube Removal

Just starting a 500 run of 223's and wondered if there's a better way to remove the case lube. Brass has been cleaned, primers out and ready to trim and re size.

I'm thinking . . . .

1) Load 'em up and tumble loaded cartridges in clean media.

2) Resize, trim and then tumble empty cases. That would add an extra step to clean out primer pockets

3) Wipe them down as a final step with an old wet towel.

BTW, Dillon case lube is Lanolin / isopropyl alcohol.

Why tumble loaded rounds when you can just tumble after resizing? I check the head stamp before it goes into the press so checking to make sure the primer pocket and flash hole are clear is no big deal

Why tumble loaded rounds when you can just tumble after resizing? I check the head stamp before it goes into the press so checking to make sure the primer pocket and flash hole are clear is no big deal

Just depends on how you like to run your press. Personally I find it tedious to deprime, clean and tumble, lube, reprime, then load. All I want to do is run clean brass from station 1 to station 4 and have a complete round spit out of the other end with every pull of the handle. When I'm done with a batch of 100-200 tumble them to clean off the lube and box em up. Thats just me though. I load 300-500 at a time so separating by headstamp and examining every case like its going to the presidents 100 is silly. Bad brass gets noticed pretty easily when in the machine. Now, absolutely zero/nothing wrong with inspecting every piece at every step if thats what works for you.

I tumble, lube, resize (on a Rockchucker) and tumble again to remove the lube. Then it is on to the 550 to load the clean brass. I use a Lee decapping die in station #1 to remove any corn cob grit stuck in the primer pocket. For some reason I don't like the idea of tumbling loaded ammo.

Use a universal decapper to clear any rogue media from flash holes in the first station. Done.

I tumble after resizing because it's easier to hold onto a non-greasy case when I'm trimming or removing the primer crimps.

I also try to keep lubed cases out of my casefeeder whenever possible.

Back
Top Bottom