Difference on selling a Blackpowder Weapon to a dealer Vs. Private Sale?

apander

NES Member
I have three Black powder weapons that I may sell to a dealer or sell on the classifieds, what is the mark-up on a wholesale i.e. Dealer price. I have the following weapons: A T/C 36 cal Percussion rifle, A T/C 45 cal Percussion Patriot Pistol with display and loading stand, and a Centermark Flintlock Reproduction France Fusil in 69 cal, both companies are no longer in business. I'm not sure what the market value is and would like to know if it is worth selling to a Dealer or a Private sale. Anybody know the app. difference between the two? Thanks in Advance.

Use Gunbroker sold auctions as a point of reference to know the value of a gun.
That would be retail not wholesale, if a gun sold for $1000.00 what would a reasonable offer from a dealer for Resale, I know a dealer will mark it up, but by how much? 50%, 60%, 75% what is a average markup. I'm just trying to save time and avoid the hassle of selling it myself.

That would be retail not wholesale, if a gun sold for $1000.00 what would a reasonable offer from a dealer for Resale, I know a dealer will mark it up, but by how much? 50%, 60%, 75% what is a average markup. I'm just trying to save time and avoid the hassle of selling it myself.

Give or take 20%.

IMO, a dealer is going to want more than a 20% spread.

OP: If you want to sell them, do the gunbroker thing as noted above, and list them here in the classifieds, for that price, or a bit more - you can always drop the price when you bump the ad, until someone bites. It might take a while, but it's kind of like a reverse auction. If you NEED to sell them, call a couple of shops that specialize in BP, and get offers. Remember that they're not in business to give you a payday, but to make them money. It's just iron to them, so don't get offended by "lowballs." Dealers have a business to run.

The other thing with the jsed BP market is that you have the risk that one neglected or less-than-thorough cleaning can cause rust, and affect the value, greatly.

If you walk into a Dealer for non regulated firearms and try to sell those
1. First there has to be a demand for it, Dealer is not going to want it if he cant sell it. Your lucky to get the "bluebook" value at 50%
2. You could put it on consignment at what 15% or more
3. Find a local club that has a good Black Powder program and go there during one of there events and sell it.

Think about what you paid, then think whats the demand for such things , then think about what you would take for them.
I dont know what models you have
I could not find a completed auction for a 36 cal rifle

from BBGV
SENECA
.36 or .45 cal., perc., 27 in. octagon barrel, double set triggers, color case hardened hammer and lock, American walnut stock, 6 lbs. Disc. 1987.

Show Historic Prices

Grading100%98%90%80%
$325 $275 $225 $175

Last edited:
Black powder is really not a good for a dealer who is likely focused on selling regulated items. Ok, many make their money on all the accessories and other bits, but people dont often walk into a gun dealer for something that can be shipped to their house.

Used firearms, expect that a dealer will pay you 60%-80% of dealer COST for the gun. Highly desirable in great shape can see 80% whereas the offered price will go down from there depending. You will get no value for your "upgrades" as no one wants to pay for someone else's customization.

60% of dealer cost is likely 50% or less of what you paid for it. Used are harder to sell and can sit for longer so the dealer has to be motivated to take it on versus just getting it as new inventory.

Now times are a little different now with ECR (elections, covid, riots) so you will likely get more than you would otherwise. But stil...

Given you asked about black power, find another path.

Give or take 20%.
I disagree. This is way too low.

The going rate for consignment commissions at dealers with decent traffic (that is, not small one man hobby dealers) is usually in the 15% - 25% range. Four Seasons is 18%; 15% on expensive guns or large collections.

The dealer takes no inventory risk; does not have to tie up capital; take a chance on how long it will take the gun to sell; risk have to drop the price below what (s)he expected, etc.

Now, consider what it takes to make sense for a dealer to buy a used gun:

- The consignment percentage
- Additional compensation for tying up and risking capital
- These percentages are off of the wholesale cost to the dealer of a same type new gun, so figure 10% right there (guns run on tight margins, so I'm figuring best case for the person selling to the dealer).

Some conservative guesses:

- baseline % on the no-risk consignment sale: 15%
- discount % to base dealer offer relative to wholesale: 10%
- % to net dealer reasonable ROI on inventory investment: 20%

So, an offer of 55% of selling price is not being unreasonable - it's just a reflection of the reality.

Edited: Interesting how CrackPot and I composed our replies separately and came up with remarkably similar numbers.

quick look this is the only reproduction fusil in 69 I could find.
kit form for under $1000

In a nut shell black powder can be a pita to move. All my TC stuff and the cabelas kit guns I did 20 years ago I darn near gave away about 10 years ago.
only gun I had that actually held any value was a Lyman my dad found back in the 80s.

Back
Top Bottom