• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Diesel Heater for overnight ice fishing

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
The boys and I have started doing overnights on our favorite ice fishing spots, and it have been quite fun. On the really cold nights, double digits below zero, we have to keep the propane heater pretty high. Running the propane heater wide open burns more oxygen and if the shelter isn't properly vented it will create issues with the heater and while low there can be a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning . The other issue with propane is the condensation buildup, which creates a lot of frost on the inside of the shelter and its windows when you spend 24+ hours fishing.

I researched a bit on propane alternatives and then I finally found this video on youtube, by hardh2ofishin

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_xMTLKIlBs

I decided to go the diesel heater route. Aside from the oxygen use, super low risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, and dry heat, I get the added benefits of:
  • More floor space since the heater is located outside the shelter. Hub shelters are not very large and with 2-3 people putting up cots, any floor savings is good.
  • Not having to lug an additional 20lb propane tank along with the heater. The fuel is contained inside the heater box.
  • Having a remote control to adjust the heat output. When it's 3am and the temp has dropped to -20 outside it will be nice not having to leave the sleeping bag to turn the heat up in the shack.
  • 27,280 BTU output vs 18,000 BTU output with the Big Buddy heater.
  • Diesel per gallon is 137,381 BTU, Propane per gallon is 91,452.
I started with this heater.

2022-08-19 18_51_26.jpg

This is the tool box I used from Harbor Frieght. Large Modular Toolbox

20220819_145825.jpg

20220819_145800.jpg

20220819_145811.jpg

20220819_150129.jpg

20220819_150226.jpg

I have two hours on this so far with testing and it is running pretty sweet. I can't wait to run it this winter on the ice going for walleye.

This is what they run on smaller construction sites for the same reasons. along with kerosene heaters as they do well also.

The boys and I have started doing overnights on our favorite ice fishing spots, and it have been quite fun. On the really cold nights, double digits below zero, we have to keep the propane heater pretty high. Running the propane heater wide open burns more oxygen and if the shelter isn't properly vented it will create issues with the heater and while low there can be a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning . The other issue with propane is the condensation buildup, which creates a lot of frost on the inside of the shelter and its windows when you spend 24+ hours fishing.

I researched a bit on propane alternatives and then I finally found this video on youtube, by hardh2ofishin

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_xMTLKIlBs

I decided to go the diesel heater route. Aside from the oxygen use, super low risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, and dry heat, I get the added benefits of:
  • More floor space since the heater is located outside the shelter. Hub shelters are not very large and with 2-3 people putting up cots, any floor savings is good.
  • Not having to lug an additional 20lb propane tank along with the heater. The fuel is contained inside the heater box.
  • Having a remote control to adjust the heat output. When it's 3am and the temp has dropped to -20 outside it will be nice not having to leave the sleeping bag to turn the heat up in the shack.
  • 27,280 BTU output vs 18,000 BTU output with the Big Buddy heater.
  • Diesel per gallon is 137,381 BTU, Propane per gallon is 91,452.
I started with this heater.

View attachment 652162

This is the tool box I used from Harbor Frieght. Large Modular Toolbox

View attachment 652163

View attachment 652164

View attachment 652165

View attachment 652166

View attachment 652168

I have two hours on this so far with testing and it is running pretty sweet. I can't wait to run it this winter on the ice going for walleye.

No concern with heat buildup in that box?

Very interesting build, and info re: propane vs diesel. I had no idea they made diesel heaters!

Looking forward to your results. That looks similar to the ones used in campers and boats.
That will work better than the 'hot tent' fire on the ice, I'm sure. [laugh]

No concern with heat buildup in that box?

Very interesting build, and info re: propane vs diesel. I had no idea they made diesel heaters!
So far no, I ran it for an hour on high in 80 degree+ with the lid locked down and it really didnt get warm in there. It will normally be operating in colder temps so I am not too concerned. Worst case I crack the lid open and then add a 2nd vent once I get back home.

Nice job!

Sprinters had an optional Eberspacher diesel heater. Only downside is they cost over $1,000. But there are a number of Chinese clones that are $100-200. Brand quality is highly variable: most were purchased on eBay.

Example. People use them in sheds as well.

Looking forward to your results. That looks similar to the ones used in campers and boats.
That will work better than the 'hot tent' fire on the ice, I'm sure. [laugh]

I saw those units while researching. That particular one is only 7000 btu and they want almost $1400 for it. I'm in to this one for less than $400 and it's 27,000 btu. I am only using it 8-10 times a year we will see how the off brand holds up.

Last edited:
I have memories of a propane heater on an overnight pile load test for a bridge over the Mystic River back around 1987. Damn that thing was loud.

After looking at marine rated heaters, air and hydronic, for winter boat work under cover, I ended with looking at these

$879 40k btu, last years price
Lb White Premier 40 Portable Tent Heater 40,000 BTU(Uses 20 Gal Propane Tank)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Lb+White+Premier+40+Portable+Tent+Heater

I ended up with a heated vest :rolleyes:

After looking at marine rated heaters, air and hydronic, for winter boat work under cover, I ended with looking at these

$879 40k btu, last years price
Lb White Premier 40 Portable Tent Heater 40,000 BTU(Uses 20 Gal Propane Tank)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Lb+White+Premier+40+Portable+Tent+Heater

I ended up with a heated vest :rolleyes:

Working inside a covered boat or inside a garage/warehouse working on boats?

Working outside under shrink wrap or a canvas cover with a greenhouse type pipe frame. If the temp is over 30, then heat is not needed. Spot heating for fiberglass work needs to be over 50. Working in heated to 50 degree boat storage buildings at $15/sq ft is ridiculous. A lot of off season subcontract work is done in those buildings, and the fumes and dust will kill you. It killed my father in law, pancreatic cancer, from fumes as listed on the warning labels as causing pancreatic cancer.

Last edited:
Working outside under shrink wrap or a canvas cover with a greenhouse type pipe frame. If the temp is over 30, then heat is not needed. Spot heating for fiberglass work needs to be over 50. Working in heated to 50 degree boat storage buildings at $15/sq ft is ridiculous. A lot of off season subcontract work is done in those buildings, and the fumes and dust will kill you. It killed my father in law, pancreatic cancer, from fumes as listed on the warning labels as causing pancreatic cancer.
Found this package a week ago, a friend bought on but hasn't tried it yet. You can get a AC to DC adapter to run the power for it. Diesel will be cheaper than propane too.

Google Search, People also ask
How many BTUs are in 1 gallon of propane? 91,600 BTU/gallon
Heating Oil Vs. Propane: Ultimate Guide To Choosing Your Heating Source
How many BTU can a 20 lb propane tank? 430,000 BTUs

What is the BTU rating of diesel?
How much energy is in a gallon of diesel fuel?

Fuel Properties Comparison
Gasoline/E10Low Sulfur Diesel
Energy Content (lower heating value)112,114–116,090 Btu/gal (c)128,488 Btu/gal (c)
Energy Content (higher heating value)120,388–124,340 Btu/gal (c)138,490 Btu/gal (c)

Smell factor of carrying diesel vs 20lb propane tank(s) 🤔
The reviews of the Chicom and Russian heaters are not good

Last edited:
I think it’s time you graduated to a hard side....with a wood stove (or propane). I have friends who have fridges and TVs and recessed lights and everything (run it off small Honda suitcase).

Mine just has LED lights run off a battery and a wood stove. Usually make it till about 4am or so before stove reload (shitty stove).

Hard sides also double as portable covered/heated shooting shelters in rainy season.....I suggest building on a trailer frame.

944F1D0B-D588-4365-9269-C47A5AFEFA45.png
Brother came over with a new 22, rainy day, so no deck shooting, no outside shooting.....just hop into hard side, prop door open, fire when ready!! I think we fired up the wood stove too....and there is a bar, and a futon. Got wet resetting targets....

I think it’s time you graduated to a hard side....with a wood stove (or propane). I have friends who have fridges and TVs and recessed lights and everything (run it off small Honda suitcase).

Mine just has LED lights run off a battery and a wood stove. Usually make it till about 4am or so before stove reload (shitty stove).

Hard sides also double as portable covered/heated shooting shelters in rainy season.....I suggest building on a trailer frame.
The problem with that is in Southern New Hampshire the ice doesn't get thick enough fast enough for a hard shelter. I've driven my truck on the ice exactly one time in 15 years of fishing this area. In MN we had a nice 8x8 with a wood stove but we could drive on to the lakes by Christmas most years.

Last edited:
View attachment 675103
Brother came over with a new 22, rainy day, so no deck shooting, no outside shooting.....just hop into hard side, prop door open, fire when ready!! I think we fired up the wood stove too....and there is a bar, and a futon. Got wet resetting targets....
So is hard water fishing and target shooting a combined sport now? That could be fun. 😂

The problem with that is in Southern New Hampshire the ice doesn't get thick enough fast enough for a hard shelter. I've driven my truck on the ice exactly one time in 15 years of fishing this area. In MN we had a nice 8x8 with a wood stove but we could drive on to the lakes by Christmas most years.
There’s good ice in southern NH if you know where to look.
31589B8E-442C-4654-B2EF-B80C70EF03D4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom