Details on Converting Garand to .308?

Have you seen any deals on the PpU M2 lately?
seems to have dried up for now and PPU comes in waves. ex is I have not seen the PPU M2 500 rd , in can for a while. Last time was TSUSA when they had sale @ .58rd??
Any way, if you want a 308 M1 and you do not already have a donor rifle.
You can wait till cmp puts out some 308s?
or find one LGS or private sales.

How often do they have them? Not sure how long I would want to wait once I have decided. Probably easier to wait on subsequent variants vs the first one to scratch an itch.
Just a note before I met the resident guru at OCSA the quotes I received from "smiths" around me (SE MA) ranged from $150-$400 just for labor. This is when I was looking to replace a old barrel with a new one. 2 places said I would need to buy the finish reamer and then they would keep the reamer...prompted me to just buy the tools myself and do it myself. Reamers add another $200 if you dont want to rent them. I opt to have my 308 JCG match rifle built up by OCSA resident guru. prices where very good and are subject to how far you want him to take it. My 308 was a barrel swap , parts inspection and a trigger job.
Does OCSA the Old Colony Sportsman's association?

Last edited:
I can see how keeping it authentic is nice, but I would be hesitant knowing it would be held back in usage unless I start reloading or strategically watch for availability and sales on m1 rated rounds.

The gas plug is only $40 I think.
The "adjustable gas plug" are a waste of ammo and only really needed if your shooting some serious hot loads. There are not to many 150-168 grain loads loaded so hot that they will produce high port pressure and the handful that are are more often expensive?

How often do they have them? Not sure how long I would want to wait once I have decided. Probably easier to wait on subsequent variants vs the first one to scratch an itch.

Does OCSA the Old Colony Sportsman's association?
If you want to scratch the itch order a service grade.
if you want a 308 and dont want to wait to see what the CMP puts out snag one of those IHC 308 specials.
Yes OCSA old colony pembroke.

CMP has a funny way of putting out products AFTER I spend any fun money I may have![banghead]

Last edited:
The "adjustable gas plug" are a waste of ammo and only really needed if your shooting some serious hot loads. There are not to many 150-168 grain loads loaded so hot that they will produce high port pressure and the handful that are are more often expensive?

That is interesting to hear, my impression from looking around that they were needed to be careful if you want to run commercial 3006.

If you want to scratch the itch order a service grade.
if you want a 308 and dont want to wait to see what the CMP puts out snag one of those IHC 308 specials.
Yes OCSA old colony pembroke.

CMP has a funny way of putting out products AFTER I spend any fun money I may have![banghead]

That definately is a concern, also wouldn't want to to wait an eternity and then never get one ever.

The option to buy a service grade now and have a route to get it modified down the line for .308 seems attractive.

That is interesting to hear, my impression from looking around that they were needed to be careful if you want to run commercial 3006.

That definately is a concern, also wouldn't want to to wait an eternity and then never get one ever.

The option to buy a service grade now and have a route to get it modified down the line for .308 seems attractive.
Go to cmp forums and post a Want to Buy in the garand section.

yes you need to be careful but are you going to buy 220 grain ammo pushing 2500fps ?
Adjustable plugs basically you need to adjust it every time you change ammo to be sure its going to do its job.
Try to think like this also. JCG started developing the garand as a 27 cal. Then the big wigs said, he john we got all this M1 ball (175 gn ) ammo left over from WWI make it work in your new rifle.
then later M2 ball was developed for more to do with range safety ?
Plus if you look at some of the old timers match loads they ran some hot ass loads!

so yes you want to be careful as bending a op rod is a costly breakage these days.
I just see zero reason why anyone is running such ammo when there is so many safe options out there.
I also cant even think of any 30-06 ammo thats on the lower cost side that will be pushing +8k psi at the gas port

yes you need to be careful but are you going to buy 220 grain ammo pushing 2500fps ?
Adjustable plugs basically you need to adjust it every time you change ammo to be sure its going to do its job.
Try to think like this also. JCG started developing the garand as a 27 cal. Then the big wigs said, he john we got all this M1 ball (175 gn ) ammo left over from WWI make it work in your new rifle.
then later M2 ball was developed for more to do with range safety ?
Plus if you look at some of the old timers match loads they ran some hot ass loads!

so yes you want to be careful as bending a op rod is a costly breakage these days.
I just see zero reason why anyone is running such ammo when there is so many safe options out there.
I also cant even think of any 30-06 ammo thats on the lower cost side that will be pushing +8k psi at the gas port

Good to know.

If the stout 27 yard rounds I have heard from people's guns at the trap line are any indication of joy in hot reloading I imagine the match loads were quite stout.

There is a ton of commercial ammo you can use in a Garand. Federal makes M1 specific ammo that is equivalent to the M2 round, Gold Medal Match 168gr is good, PPU/Prvi makes great stuff, Creedmoor makes a couple of varieties, and HXP surplus is plentiful online and Glenn's Ammo in North Reading always has some Garand ammo available.

I think the best advice would be not to do it at all. I guarantee you will regret making the change.

I think the best advice would be not to do it at all. I guarantee you will regret making the change.
I would not buy a 30-06 M1 to turn it to 308.
Unless you have a M1 that actually needs a barrel or a M1 you picked up years ago cheap.
On the end your only a few bucks away from just buying a cmp IHC special vs converting
Or wait to see if CMP puts out a rack grade special in 308 for $650
Like the previous rack grade 30-06 special

Last edited:
Was looking at CMP garands and debating options.

I keep thinking it would be good to go for the .308 converted one but it's a bit of a step in initial cost since there is only one special option which is at $1250.

I wanted to check what is involved in Converting a Garand to .308 and how much does it cost. My thought is if I get one in 30-06 and then evaluate getting it converted down the line it would be good to know what is involved.

It would likely be something I would need a Smith to do, but I am not sure how much parts and services would cost.

heres my 308 adventure

308 garand has less issues with op rod bedding ammo, you have to really really run some heavy hot loads. I like the softer felt recoil of the 308 vs 06
I have 2 JCG Match rifles built up with the best parts I can muster, tight fitting stocks and New Criterion barrel. My 308 M1 gets me higher scores over all vs the 30-06 ?
Just be careful and stay away from that Swedish-made NORMA .308. I rarely see it anymore, but I am sure some of it is still around. This stuff is very hot and it will damage semiauto rifles.

Does a .308 Garand really have that less recoil compared to 30-06?

I really don’t notice much difference between the two. Of course, with a Garand coming in at 9.5 pounds, the felt recoil isn’t that bad for either caliber, so it’s hard to feel a difference (at least for me).

Enjoyed reading that. Of course now I am just thinking about whether I am also going to have to take up reloading next.
If you do, the need for a 308 Garand basically evaporates. I got into reloading because I was getting an M1. Ended up with two. Still load more 30-06 than anything else. If you don't mind manual labor, you can get started cheaply. Or, go for the deluxe stuff right away.

I'm now up to nine calibers.

ETA: My M1 reloads are about 34 cents per round, but that doesn't include brass since I just save factory stuff, or collect it from the range. Andover Sportsman's seems to always have 30-06 cases in the buckets, a couple weeks ago I calculated it out and I think my 30-06 brass needs are covered for about 35 years now, assuming 4 loads per case.

I honestly don't think about it or notice once I'm shooting. I do tend to get higher scores with the 308, but it's essentially a National Match clone so that's part of the picture. Need to double check, but I think some of my pet .30-06 loads run about 2600 fps with 155's, maybe 2700. Those are all pretty easy on the shoulder and I've never had a problem with cycling. Others like Mac have run even softer .30-06 loads, no problema.

If you do, the need for a 308 Garand basically evaporates. I got into reloading because I was getting an M1. Ended up with two. Still load more 30-06 than anything else. If you don't mind manual labor, you can get started cheaply. Or, go for the deluxe stuff right away.

I'm now up to nine calibers.

ETA: My M1 reloads are about 34 cents per round, but that doesn't include brass since I just save factory stuff, or collect it from the range. Andover Sportsman's seems to always have 30-06 cases in the buckets, a couple weeks ago I calculated it out and I think my 30-06 brass needs are covered for about 35 years now, assuming 4 loads per case.

How cheap is cheap? Haven't looked much into reloading yet as the money just isn't there for trap reloading which is where most of my shooting has been.

Also, I am a member at Andover also. Good to know there are others floating around who can provide some guidance.

7.62 NATO vs M2 Ball probably about 1.5lbs difference in recoil energy?

Custom loads you can get much much lower recoil energy. My light 155s in 308 M1 has very little muzzle flip. The 110s even less...
I have no explanation but my 110-130 grain bullets do better in the 308 garand vs 06. They both have new criterion barrels?
I was hoping to score some light bullets black friday/cyber monday? No such luck

How cheap is cheap? Haven't looked much into reloading yet as the money just isn't there for trap reloading which is where most of my shooting has been.

Also, I am a member at Andover also. Good to know there are others floating around who can provide some guidance.
If you're going very base tier for an M1, you could get a Lee Handpress kit for $50
That gets you a press, funnel, primer tool, case lube.
Add dies for about $30, and then a cheap electronic scale for $30, and then a few misc tools like trimmer, chamfer/deburr, etc. for about another $30.

You'd be sitting at about $150. This would require some "manual labor" - I used to handwash cases before I bought a Hornady tumbler for $29 on a 50% off sale. But you'd have everything to start making rounds. Then, you could build from there.

ETA: After about 500 rounds, you'd have it "paid off" using about 65 cents per round for the PPU M1 loads versus 35 cents for handloading. Lots of variables, but gives you a sense of things.

2nd ETA: you'll want calipers, too, they can be had for as low as $15 online.

I dont think shotshell reloading for trap pans out.
I did it when i was shooting 5k rounds plus a year.
That was when a case of 500 was about $40 and reloading your own saved you about $12 case.?

I never loaded to "save money" i grew tired of looking for the ammo I wanted.
When I first started reloading for M1 to try and get better consistency and accuracy i was buying M2_ball HXP on bandos and clips 4 tins in the wood crate for .27rd shipped reloads cost me .32rd

Mid 2000s metals sky rocketed , lead shot was running $75-$90 a bag. i bought a shot maker and started making my own shot. i do not shoot trap much at all these days and when I do shoot trap i just grab a 4 pack of club loads.

i had lots of fun loading shotshell though. Loaded some real cream puffs 7/8oz at 850 fps for 16 yards

Last edited:
If you're going very base tier for an M1, you could get a Lee Handpress kit for $50
That gets you a press, funnel, primer tool, case lube.
Add dies for about $30, and then a cheap electronic scale for $30, and then a few misc tools like trimmer, chamfer/deburr, etc. for about another $30.

You'd be sitting at about $150. This would require some "manual labor" - I used to handwash cases before I bought a Hornady tumbler for $29 on a 50% off sale. But you'd have everything to start making rounds. Then, you could build from there.

ETA: After about 500 rounds, you'd have it "paid off" using about 65 cents per round for the PPU M1 loads versus 35 cents for handloading. Lots of variables, but gives you a sense of things.

2nd ETA: you'll want calipers, too, they can be had for as low as $15 online.

Good to know. Looked up some kits might be a good option. Of course if I can find them calipers are the one item I don't need to buy. Have a nice pair of professional calipers from a machine shop.

That was when a case of 500 was about $40 and reloading your own saved you about $12 case.?

When I first started reloading for M1 to try and get better consistency and accuracy i was buying M2_ball HXP on bandos and clips 4 tins in the wood crate for .27rd shipped reloads cost me .32rd

Yeah priced it all out at one point and was better off collecting cans than reloading shot. Components vs commercial ammo the differential isn't there.

Of course if I buy the kit, I can also buy a set of .38 spl dies and reload some of the assorted brass I have packed away in the closet "in case" I ever reloaded.

Good to know. Looked up some kits might be a good option. Of course if I can find them calipers are the one item I don't need to buy. Have a nice pair of professional calipers from a machine shop.

Yeah priced it all out at one point and was better off collecting cans than reloading shot. Components vs commercial ammo the differential isn't there.

Of course if I buy the kit, I can also buy a set of .38 spl dies and reload some of the assorted brass I have packed away in the closet "in case" I ever reloaded.
i probably made my reloading set investment back just by not wasting so much time looking for ammo
Plus the coffee/lunch money spent every time i went to gun shops!

i probably made my reloading set investment back just by not wasting so much time looking for ammo
Plus the coffee/lunch money spent every time i went to gun shops!

Will probably have to look into that once I actually make a move on something, can't put that ahead of getting a rifle because that would take all the fun out of it.

I would not buy a 30-06 M1 to turn it to 308.
Unless you have a M1 that actually needs a barrel or a M1 you picked up years ago cheap.
On the end your only a few bucks away from just buying a cmp IHC special vs converting
Or wait to see if CMP puts out a rack grade special in 308 for $650
Like the previous rack grade 30-06 special
Great Macs Think Alike!!

Mid 2000s metals sky rocketed , lead shot was running $75-$90 a bag. i bought a shot maker and started making my own shot. i do not shoot trap much at all these days and when I do shoot trap i just grab a 4 pack of club loads.

i had lots of fun loading shotshell though. Loaded some real cream puffs 7/8oz at 850 fps for 16 yards

Same here - I started reloading because it was hard to find #9 Magnum for skeet and clays. I found that I really enjoyed it and moved to pistol, and now rifle rounds. Plus, if there’s ever an ammo shortage you can load what you want when you want it.

Will probably have to look into that once I actually make a move on something, can't put that ahead of getting a rifle because that would take all the fun out of it.
I have bought guns because I had dies and or bullet molds for them first.

i have lots of time to reload and generally load up more than I will shoot in a year or so over a few weekends
I also bought large quanities of bullets when they where much less expensive , now I just “buy” my reloads from myself so when my stock gets low I have cash to replenish inventory

I have bought guns because I had dies and or bullet molds for them first.

i have lots of time to reload and generally load up more than I will shoot in a year or so over a few weekends
I also bought large quanities of bullets when they where much less expensive , now I just “buy” my reloads from myself so when my stock gets low I have cash to replenish inventory

Good to know!

Back
Top Bottom