Details on Converting Garand to .308?

Was looking at CMP garands and debating options.

I keep thinking it would be good to go for the .308 converted one but it's a bit of a step in initial cost since there is only one special option which is at $1250.

I wanted to check what is involved in Converting a Garand to .308 and how much does it cost. My thought is if I get one in 30-06 and then evaluate getting it converted down the line it would be good to know what is involved.

It would likely be something I would need a Smith to do, but I am not sure how much parts and services would cost.

The only thing you would have to do is a barrel change. The CMP adds a plastic spacer to prevent someone from accidently loading .3006 into it but it is not necessary for it to function. All other parts are interchangeable. Unless you are equiped and knowledgeable, I would have a smith do the barrel change and check headspace.

The only thing you would have to do is a barrel change. The CMP adds a plastic spacer to prevent someone from accidently loading .3006 into it but it is not necessary for it to function. All other parts are interchangeable. Unless you are equiped and knowledgeable, I would have a smith do the barrel change and check headspace.

Any idea what a Smith would charge for that? Definitely not something I would be looking to tackle myself.

Last edited:
Any idea what a Smith would charge for that? Definitely not something I would be looking to tackle myself.
I have no idea but if you look on the CMP website they have a custom shop. You could call them on Monday and get a price. Unless you can find a real bargain or already have a grand the CMP prices are hard to beat for what you get and the customer service.

It's inexpensive to have it done but the cost of the barrel will dictate your overall cost. One thing to consider, too, is if you want your barrel to be cut for 7.62 x 51 or .308. Nobody argues the fact that there is a very slight distinction between the two. If you have it cut for. 308, you'll be able to shoot both commercial and surplus. If you have it cut for 7.62 x 51 (surplus) you could have a slight sticking issue with commercial. I would suspect you'll be shooting commercial ammo in it. Your armorer will explain the difference. I shoot only surplus 30.06 through my Garand, period. I had my M1a barrel replaced, however, with a Douglas Air-Gauged barrel and cut for Commercial .308 ammo although I could shoot surplus with it as well.

I have no idea but if you look on the CMP website they have a custom shop. You could call them on Monday and get a price. Unless you can find a real bargain or already have a grand the CMP prices are hard to beat for what you get and the customer service.

Oh wow thanks for the tip, they have a price list and everything so cleared up a bit.

It's inexpensive to have it done but the cost of the barrel will dictate your overall cost. One thing to consider, too, is if you want your barrel to be cut for 7.62 x 51 or .308. Nobody argues the fact that there is a very slight distinction between the two. If you have it cut for. 308, you'll be able to shoot both commercial and surplus. If you have it cut for 7.62 x 51 (surplus) you could have a slight sticking issue with commercial. I would suspect you'll be shooting commercial ammo in it. Your armorer will explain the difference. I shoot only surplus 30.06 through my Garand, period. I had my M1a barrel replaced, however, with a Douglas Air-Gauged barrel and cut for Commercial .308 ammo although I could shoot surplus with it as well.

You have that backwards. .308 is the tighter chamber. Some surplus may stick.

If you get one in 30-06 and later want to convert, this is what you'll need...
KV1jM2V.jpg

...or just get a new barrel.

Yes you can do it... I've seen Garands converted to fire 308, and even 243 win.... the problem is.... ythohd.jpg

I get it, 3006 is getting more expensive, etc. Only reason though, I think anyone could really justify this is that they reload 308 already and don't want to run a whole new
line just to make Garand food.

-Mike

Yes you can do it... I've seen Garands converted to fire 308, and even 243 win.... the problem is....View attachment 315488

I get it, 3006 is getting more expensive, etc. Only reason though, I think anyone could really justify this is that they reload 308 already and don't want to run a whole new

-Mike

I get that, more would like to definitely understand my options. If its $200 for a barrel, $75 for CMP custom shop to do the switch, $15 for the spacer block, plus shipping then I know the packaged price to change. When I posted was really not clear what the cost might be.

Was trying to weigh options which kind of fall into these three options from what I understand:

Get it in 3006 and shoot M1 garand marked Ammo

Get it in 3006, put in adjustable gas plug and be able to shoot greater variety of 3006 ammo

Get it converted to .308 then be able to shoot .308 ammo.

It is really a mix of cost concerns and availability. Was looking online and most of the M1 rated stuff was sold out at the moment on the site I checked.

I would rank it that I might proceed in that order but I figure its good to do a deep dive on info at the outset rather than cross the bridge when I want to move on it.

I have a Browning X-Bolt in .30-06 and have been looking at Garands but have also been curious about the difference of ammos. I’d be purchasing a Garand for historical purposes, but also for usage, so I’m not sure if I would put the adjustable gas block on it or not.

Another part of me says that I also have a different rifle in .308, so why not go that route with the Garand? I’d like to shoot one in both calibers to see which is better for me.

I have a Browning X-Bolt in .30-06 and have been looking at Garands but have also been curious about the difference of ammos. I’d be purchasing a Garand for historical purposes, but also for usage, so I’m not sure if I would put the adjustable gas block on it or not.

Another part of me says that I also have a different rifle in .308, so why not go that route with the Garand? I’d like to shoot one in both calibers to see which is better for me.

I can see how keeping it authentic is nice, but I would be hesitant knowing it would be held back in usage unless I start reloading or strategically watch for availability and sales on m1 rated rounds.

The gas plug is only $40 I think.

If you get a service grade or even field grade, they are already re-arsenaled and/or rebuilt at least once and maybe more so you are not wrecking any kind of history by swapping the barrel. This is exactly what I did with my service grade and I kept the barrel that was on it (SA 50's vintage replacement) so I could put it back later if I wanted or on another gun with a crap barrel.

Go with a .308 barrel so you have the flexibility of shooting either 308 or x51. And definitely do it, a .308 garand is a VERY pleasant and accurate shooter. I prefer it now over my 30-06 garand

I had a local smith do the swap and headspace check for about 100 bucks. I provided the stripped barreled action and bolt and .308 barrel.

I didn’t realize they were that inexpensive, though, admittedly, I haven’t done any deep digging into it.

I am in the research mode so figured I would share the info I did gather.

Example for gas plug:

While I am sharing, this is the CMP shop services price list:

This is the parts price list for CMP:

Last edited:
Yes you can do it... I've seen Garands converted to fire 308, and even 243 win.... the problem is....View attachment 315488

-Mike
308 garand has less issues with op rod bedding ammo, you have to really really run some heavy hot loads. I like the softer felt recoil of the 308 vs 06
I have 2 JCG Match rifles built up with the best parts I can muster, tight fitting stocks and New Criterion barrel. My 308 M1 gets me higher scores over all vs the 30-06 ?

I keep thinking it would be good to go for the .308 converted one but it's a bit of a step in initial cost since there is only one special option which is at $1250.

I wanted to check what is involved in Converting a Garand to .308 and how much does it cost. My thought is if I get one in 30-06 and then evaluate getting it converted down the line it would be good to know what is involved.

It would likely be something I would need a Smith to do, but I am not sure how much parts and services would cost.
First think of the cost to "get" a M1 ?

then Add $200 for the 308 Criterion barrel- about the best bang for the buck
CMP has them for $199 free shipping
These Barrels come "short chambered" which after install require finish reaming to your bolt for minimum headspace.

CMP Custom shop offers all aspects of M1 services

Bolt lap and barrel install
CS165.5Delux barrel installation (Price shown is for labor only and does not include the cost of the barrel. See CMP Custom Shop Inventory list for current barrels available.) Includes everything in CS165 with the addition of precision bolt lapping.$125

Now you could Call CMP and order a Field grade for $650- tell cmp sales to have it sent over to the Custom Shop for the CS165.5 barrel install $125+ Barrel $200 and you might as toss in a trigger job $65 THEN pray CMP does not find any worn parts on that Field Grade for right around $1050 ?

Or order a CMP service grade for $750 you get slightly better parts/finish and more than likely a new stock PLUS you could probably sell the take off barrel for $100 ?, Barrel $200 and $100 plus for a barrel install. Still right around $1050

Or just buy that IHC and pay a little premium (plus you will have a few range rats all giddy giddy goo over the IHC heal tag) for $1250 have a completely refinished M1 new stock and new barrel ready to go
Drop your CMP order in the mail Tomorrow and you will have it by Christmas

I get that, more would like to definitely understand my options. If its $200 for a barrel, $75 for CMP custom shop to do the switch, $15 for the spacer block, plus shipping then I know the packaged price to change. When I posted was really not clear what the cost might be.

Was trying to weigh options which kind of fall into these three options from what I understand:

Get it in 3006 and shoot M1 garand marked Ammo

Get it in 3006, put in adjustable gas plug and be able to shoot greater variety of 3006 ammo

Get it converted to .308 then be able to shoot .308 ammo.

It is really a mix of cost concerns and availability. Was looking online and most of the M1 rated stuff was sold out at the moment on the site I checked.

I would rank it that I might proceed in that order but I figure its good to do a deep dive on info at the outset rather than cross the bridge when I want to move on it.
It's an m1 garand ww2 surplus rifle. Are you really going to shoot it that much that a conversion is even a consideration?

I own 2 of them......shoot em occasionaly.......and I LOVE them both. Would never consider any modifications to them. I know a couple guys that shoot their m1 garands in comp......and keep the mods to repair and original parts only.

Just my opinion.....if your into modifications......don't buy an m1.

These Barrels come "short chambered" which after install require finish reaming to your bolt for minimum headspace.

CS165.5Delux barrel installation (Price shown is for labor only and does not include the cost of the barrel. See CMP Custom Shop Inventory list for current barrels available.) Includes everything in CS165 with the addition of precision bolt lapping.$125
Now you could Call CMP and order a Field grade for $650- tell cmp sales to have it sent over to the Custom Shop for the CS165.5 barrel install $125+ Barrel $200 and you might as toss in a trigger job $65 THEN pray CMP does not find any worn parts on that Field Grade for right around $1050 ?

Or order a CMP service grade for $750 you get slightly better parts/finish and more than likely a new stock PLUS you could probably sell the take off barrel for $100 ?, Barrel $200 and $100 plus for a barrel install. Still right around $1050

Or just buy that IHC and pay a little premium (plus you will have a few range rats all giddy giddy goo over the IHC heal tag) for $1250 have a completely refinished M1 new stock and new barrel ready to go

Pardon my ignorance, but why the deluxe installation and not the basic one?

Good advice, but this is way to much for a guy who wants to get a Garand to shoot it occasionally. If he is purpose building the rifle for a specific need, then that is a different story.

OP should order a Service Grade rifle from the CMP.

PPU makes the most reasonably priced Garand ammo and it's usually always available.

Good advice, but this is way to much for a guy who wants to get a Garand to shoot it occasionally. If he is purpose building the rifle for a specific need, then that is a different story.

OP should order a Service Grade rifle from the CMP.

PPU makes the most reasonably priced Garand ammo and it's usually always available.
Have you seen any deals on the PpU M2 lately?
seems to have dried up for now and PPU comes in waves. ex is I have not seen the PPU M2 500 rd , in can for a while. Last time was TSUSA when they had sale @ .58rd??
Any way, if you want a 308 M1 and you do not already have a donor rifle.
You can wait till cmp puts out some 308s?
or find one LGS or private sales.

You can keep an eye out on places like gun broker also.
Im still trying to figure out whats up with the front end of this one?
looks like it might be missing front guard but ?

I think I've seen those before. Chopped down stock.

I think I've seen those before. Chopped down stock.
theres something odd with this one ( it is a "tanker length") , I see the aftermarket flash hider/ cylinder lock but what looks all FUBAR is that part with the screw and shere the gas cylinder looks like it was cut ?

Just a note before I met the resident guru at OCSA the quotes I received from "smiths" around me (SE MA) ranged from $150-$400 just for labor. This is when I was looking to replace a old barrel with a new one. 2 places said I would need to buy the finish reamer and then they would keep the reamer...prompted me to just buy the tools myself and do it myself. Reamers add another $200 if you dont want to rent them. I opt to have my 308 JCG match rifle built up by OCSA resident guru. prices where very good and are subject to how far you want him to take it. My 308 was a barrel swap , parts inspection and a trigger job.

Back
Top Bottom