• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deputy responding to alarm call shoots armed homeowner in South Carolina, video shows

mikeyp

NES Member
Video can't be embedded here for some reason

https://www.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article233259313.html

The body camera video shows a deputy look in to a home through a window by the door and shootthe armed man inside. The man turned out to be the homeowner who was startled by the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office deputy outside, police said.

After the deputy shoots the homeowner through the doorway, he yells “sheriff’s office” to the man inside, according to the video.

“Who are you? Call the cops,” the man shouts from inside.

“I am the cops,” the officer responds, as seen in the video.

The deputy was responding to an alarm activation June 14 at the home in Simpsonville, South Carolina, Sheriff’s Office Capt. Tim Brown said in a video released by the department.

The sheriff’s office originally said the homeowner pulled open the door and pointed a gun at the deputy, The State reports, but the video shows that was not the case.

When the officer goes back inside, the homeowner is on his knees in the doorway with a bullet wound, the video shows.

“What is wrong with you, man?” the homeowner pleads. A gun is allegedly on the floor nearby, the sheriff’s office says, but it’s not entirely clear from the video.

The deputy shot the man twice, the man says on the video.

Video shows the man saying he got his gun because he “saw lights” and “heard the doorbell ring.” The video also shows the deputy trying to put rubber gloves on to treat the homeowner he had just shot two minutes prior.

“Get the ambulance here. I’m going to die,” the unidentified homeowner says.

“Why did you do that?” the homeowner asks.

“You pointed a gun at me,” the deputy responds.

“You come to my house at 12 o’clock at night, I’m sleeping. I got to protect my house,”the homeowner says.

The deputy says he was responding to a panic alarm at the house. “We don’t even have an alarm,” the man is heard saying in the video.

Brown said the sheriff’s office later learned that the panic alarm came from a medical assist app on a resident’s phone, and was not a burglar alarm. There was no emergency response needed, he said.

The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division is investigating the incident. The deputy is on leave during the investigation, according to the sheriff’s office.

The sheriff’s office originally said the homeowner pulled open the door and pointed a gun at the deputy, The State reports, but the video shows that was not the case.

“Once the first responding deputy arrived on scene, he went to the door and soon after was met by the homeowner, who pulled the door open and pointed a handgun directly at the deputy. The deputy then fired his weapon, striking the subject at least one time,” the sheriff’s office said.

I’m sure that report was just an honest mistake because shooting through a window at someone inside a house is easily confused with someone opening their door and pointing a gun. I know I constantly confuse looking out windows with walking out doors so can totally see this mistake happening.

Video below:

I’m sure that report was just an honest mistake because shooting through a window at someone inside a house is easily confused with someone opening their door and pointing a gun. I know I constantly confuse looking out windows with walking out doors so can totally see this mistake happening.

Video below:

Poorly mishandled call by the cop who was driven to complete irrationality by unwarranted fear.

At least the homeowner is still alive. Getting shot because the cop sees a gun and then lying about it doesn't surprise me at all, sadly. The video will toast the cop and enrich the wounded homeowner. I just hope his wounds aren't crippling.
If this poor sap has a mortgage on his home, I don't think he'll have to worry about it much longer.

Just wait until your town becomes regionalized and you'll really see and hear a shi%show!

Its already regionalized here. I live in the outskirts of a very rural county where a deputy's response could take 40 mins. People out here are basically their own police and are armed, covered by a strong castle doctrine and for the most part very respectful of others. I've been here six years and seen about 8 state troopers in that whole time, usually going the other direction on the highway. The deputies I see a little bit more but still very infrequently.

Yet another person who shouldn't be a cop.

This. Shooting an unidentified person inside a house because you're pissing your pants, good grief.

Video was hard to watch. I half expected the LEO to finish the poor guy off with a mag dump.

There was no lying. The responding Deputy stated, "the home owner came TO the door" not "through the door" as reported by the news agencies. This is all a misunderstanding. It was then that the deputies sidearm had two accidental discharges. Nothing to see here.

Baghdad-Bob-is-BV.jpg

Shortly after move-in in Tennessee I'll be installing motion sensor lights and an alarm on the house. I'll likely be working second shift or overnights, and don't want Lady Radtekk unprepared. We'll soon discuss a dog. I want one, she's ambivalent but wants the freedom of being able to "just go" without worrying. My answer was "Shots, kennel, done." We'll see:)

But yeah, cop was a fool, got bad info, homeowner was right, but "wrong". Hope he gets a nice payday, but the local citizenry will ultimately pay the price. Lack of personal responsibility is crippling this country in SO many ways.

That sucks. Glad the homeowner is ok.
Question though. With the amount of exterior lighting he had, if this guy was worried enough to grab a gun to answer the door, why did he fully expose himself in the near full length side light? By no means was he in the wrong, yes the cop wet himself, and yes, I am absolutely armchair quarterbacking the situation. But he kinda left himself exposed there, no? I dunno, hunker down on the stairs until someone announces themselves, tries to break in, or up and leaves?
Either way, this cop shouldn’t be on the streets. Bad shooty shoot.

I heard a couple locals in Edisto talking about a shooting the other day. This must have been what they were talking about.

Ever wonder: what do they know that you don't?

No not in the least, I've been coming down here 20 years before moving here, and why are you trying to restructure my post using bold italics???

Seeing a state police cruiser on eight different occasions on the opposite side of the highway doesn't exactly invoke a deep thinking session in me.

Last edited:
No not in the least, I've been coming down here 20 years before moving here, and why are you trying to restructure my post using bold italics???

Seeing a state police cruiser on eight different occasions on the opposite side of the highway doesn't exactly invoke a deep thinking session in me.
I think he was joking....

No not in the least, I've been coming down here 20 years before moving here, ...
You'd think that by now you'd know all the no-go zones that even the cops flee at high speed.
... and why are you trying to restructure my post using bold italics???
What you mean "try"? Seems to me I succeeded...
P. S. I didn't add the italics; not sure, but they may be this guy's fault.

You'd think that by now you'd know all the no-go zones that even the cops flee at high speed.

What you mean "try"? Seems to me I succeeded...
P. S. I didn't add the italics; not sure, but they may be this guy's fault.

So what's your point exactly? Are you just trying to be a trolling a**h*** making foolish comments that make no sense?

There' no "no go" zones around here and a cruiser seen traveling on a highway at normal speed is not even slight evidence of them fleeing anyone or anywhere.

Seems you are making a habit of trolling my posts lately with foolish nonsense.

"the panic alarm came from a medical assist app on a resident’s phone, and was not a burglar alarm. There was no emergency response needed,"

So the cop approached the house with the gun drawn. Why was a gun drawn for an alleged medical emergency?

The emergency medical should have responded with an ambulance.

Wonder how much of the story we are missing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom