• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Defense Against Mobs: An Interview with Massad Ayoob

Reptile

NES Member
Interview by Gila Hayes

eJournal: Thank you, Mas, for agreeing to talk to us about surviving mob violence. It is a timely topic on which our readers have many questions. May we start by defining our terminology? What are the different meanings of the terms “rioters,” “a mob” or “political protestors?”

Ayoob: The terms, unfortunately, mean different things to different people, Gila. If you look at the dictionary, a mob is a crowd of people, usually a relatively large crowd, especially one that is disorderly and intent on causing trouble or violence. Now, just within that definition you will see the term stretched here and there. Let’s say a rock star is being mobbed by his adoring fans and autograph seekers. It’s a mob of screaming fans, they appear to be disorderly, but there is no collective intent to harm. So, I am not sure that “mob,” as we use the word today, would apply to that correctly.

The key thing when it comes to defense against mobs is
1) escape if you can.
2) understand that if you shoot someone, even if its justifiable, you will be under a microscope.
3) as always its best to not shoot someone. Deadly force should always be a LAST RESORT. Not a first step, provided it doesn't put you in more danger. To that end, I'd suggest you do what I did. Get yourself a 12 oz can of Sabre Red Frontier bear spray to keep in each car. About $30.
With that, you can hose off a crowd and be on your way with no injury to yourself or the rioters.

Note that unlike most bear sprays, Saber Red's bear spray is MORE powerful than their LE formula. With higher concentrations of capcesinoids (sp?)

Last edited:
Interview by Gila Hayes

eJournal: Thank you, Mas, for agreeing to talk to us about surviving mob violence. It is a timely topic on which our readers have many questions. May we start by defining our terminology? What are the different meanings of the terms “rioters,” “a mob” or “political protestors?”

Ayoob: The terms, unfortunately, mean different things to different people, Gila. If you look at the dictionary, a mob is a crowd of people, usually a relatively large crowd, especially one that is disorderly and intent on causing trouble or violence. Now, just within that definition you will see the term stretched here and there. Let’s say a rock star is being mobbed by his adoring fans and autograph seekers. It’s a mob of screaming fans, they appear to be disorderly, but there is no collective intent to harm. So, I am not sure that “mob,” as we use the word today, would apply to that correctly.

Nice article! Thanks for sharing. I respect Mas and his opinions, but .308 in most common hunting loadings will grossly overpenetrate, not just FMJ ball. Possible exceptions would be light 125 grain soft points and the absolutely devastating .308 110 grain TAP from Hornady. Most of the "Rooftop Koreans" were armed with .223 rifles, a caliber much less likely to overpenetrate. Can't just blame .308, though. Several of Charles Whitman's victims at the University of Texas were hit by 6mm bullets that had already passed through the bodies of other victims and 6mm is much lighter than .308.

Nice article! Thanks for sharing. I respect Mas and his opinions, but .308 in most common hunting loadings will grossly overpenetrate, not just FMJ ball. Possible exceptions would be light 125 grain soft points and the absolutely devastating .308 110 grain TAP from Hornady. Most of the "Rooftop Koreans" were armed with .223 rifles, a caliber much less likely to overpenetrate. Can't just blame .308, though. Several of Charles Whitman's victims at the University of Texas were hit by 6mm bullets that had already passed through the bodies of other victims and 6mm is much lighter than .308.

Defense Against Mobs??? o_O Hardly. [laugh]

I love Mas, but I think I would have titled that article a little differently. [mg]

The article is more about the LEGAL defense against mobs than physically defending yourself against mobs. What is practical to deal with murderous mobs is different than how to deal with them and not have jack booted loon like Maura Healey in a good position to pick up where the mob left off smashing what's left of your life/the lives you defended in a courtroom.

All nonsense. Use deadly force against a clown parade and you will be charged. Not saying give in, but stay the hell away from clown parades and if you end up shooting your way out of one, be grateful you are alive and suck up the legal suck that is coming your way.

All nonsense. Use deadly force against a clown parade and you will be charged. Not saying give in, but stay the hell away from clown parades and if you end up shooting your way out of one, be grateful you are alive and suck up the legal suck that is coming your way.

And having a nice big bottle of OC spray will help in such a situation.

Putting on my flame suit...[pot]

All I hear is flee, flee, flee,flee and finally flee some more.

With the injustice and political system selectively choosing to punish law abiding gun owners.

They say:
Let the criminals burn everything you own to the ground, let them destroy everything you worked for your entire life.
Let them rape and beat you and your family to the final inch of your lives.

Or they will burn your ass at the stake and raze your family's home.

That is the message I keep hearing as they repeat it over and over.

I love how they will ask what we could have done to avoid the encounter.
But never ask the perpetrators those same questions.

Maboob's whole article, is just a hear my voice kind of letting the world know he is still around.

A plan is great, but you can't plan for everything.
Murphy has to be included in such plans as well.

Try to avoid the situation first.
Do what ever it takes to survive if found in a situation.
If possible, remain anonymous.
Knowing you are already going to be royally screwed over by our injustice system.
Do what ever you have do and that you can live with yourself afterwards.

Your stopped in traffic. A large group of people block the road and are smashing car windows and saying they want to harm anyone if they dare move.
You call 911, but the police say they can not help you.
Someone gets out of their car to confront them and he is beaten by a group of four or five of them. But not one citizen comes to his aid.
You ignore it till they are upon your vehicle. Your rear and side windows are smashed. You are covered in glass shards.
Oh, you got your pepper spray...Wooohoo..till a kid with a skateboard comes running up behind you and smacks you in the face with it.
By now your wife and young child are screaming at the top of their lungs in horror.
But no one comes to help.
Don't worry though there are hundreds of peaceful protesters in the area filming it all.
With their hoodies on to conceal who is doing what.

The media is loving it and are saying the people are just voicing their concerns.
Never having to be in your place and then saying that what happens has to take place for there to be a positive change.

Vroom, Vroom, lays on the horn while running and gunning down anyone that tries to block and or stop me.
You'll be the baddest motherf'er in prison with the highest body count and the best story of how hard you went to protect your family from a terrorist mob!
That I can live with![smile]

Last edited:
The article is more about the LEGAL defense against mobs than physically defending yourself against mobs. What is practical to deal with murderous mobs is different than how to deal with them and not have jack booted loon like Maura Healey in a good position to pick up where the mob left off smashing what's left of your life/the lives you defended in a courtroom.
I agree with Mas, but at the end of the day, I am doing my best to defend myself and my family. If Maura wants to jail me for it, she had better hope I never get out and catch up with her. Alabama redneck and Louisiana Cajun justice is quick and nasty!

The liberal Swedes were complaining about how devastating and inhumane M16 ammo was, while they adopted a 7.62 NATO round with a very brittle steel jacket that exploded and fragmented on impact and caused far more serious wounds than any M16 5.56mm used in NATO service!

situational awareness, don't bring a knife to a gunfight. Never leave your vehicle and never allow yourself to get boxed in. Always leave enough distance between you and the vehicle in front of you so you can go around it if need be. Know the area and alternate escape routes. Always have your mental radar turned on.

Great interview.

Ayoob said:
Why are they breaking the window? Why do you crack the walnut? You crack it to get what’s inside and consume it. It is not reasonable and prudent to believe anything else.

situational awareness, don't bring a knife to a gunfight. Never leave your vehicle and never allow yourself to get boxed in. Always leave enough distance between you and the vehicle in front of you so you can go around it if need be. Know the area and alternate escape routes. Always have your mental radar turned on.

A good rule of thumb is to be able to see the rear tires of the car in front of you.

I've been in this habit for decades. Primarily because if the person is screwing around on their phone when the light turns green, rather than honk, I just drive around them. But I always have an out.

A good rule of thumb is to be able to see the rear tires of the car in front of you.

I've been in this habit for decades. Primarily because if the person is screwing around on their phone when the light turns green, rather than honk, I just drive around them. But I always have an out.
Yup! I learned this years ago riding motorcycles, stop at least a bike length behind car and watch your rear view mirrors. Sitting at a light years ago on RT.2, chick pulls up behind me and stops. I'm about 4 cars back from light as it turns green, car in front of me starts to move a BAMM, chick hits me. Luckily she just center punched my rear tire and moved me a foot. I was invisible to her.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom