Deer spot dilemma

Maybe some of you more experienced deer hunter can help me? I have a small piece of private land, shaped like a triangle. From the tip down to about midway is posted, the angled sides are bordered with streets, the base is my property with 2 fields that go into woods for about 50-60 yards then turns private all the way to the tip all wooded. This is a very limited access town with no hunting unless written permission and most of the town is posted, so im lucky to have this spot. The fields always have deer at dusk. My plan was to get in about 1 hr early to sit Monday for the opener. I bumped 3 or 4 doe going in under a full moon. I had a couple doe come in around 8am, then nothing. I got down around 10:30am and bumped 1 doe in the field again. My wife hunted the spot, jumped 3 doe in the field going in at 3:30pm, saw nothing, bumped 3 more leaving at dusk. The stand is located on intersecting paths about 30 yards in the woods off the field. Coming into the stand another way is out as it is paved roads or posted land. Do i try to keep getting in earlier to beat them to the field, or is it ok to bump a few going in?

Walk in off the paved road whether you have to walk aways from your normal parking spot or you get dropped off. Bumping deer is something you want to avoid if you can.

try this. having someone bump the deer to you while in your spot will be a sure thing. i would get a buddy or whoever and try this . it will work and is proven to work. if nothing comes by theres probably nothing in there at the moment. i;ve never tried this with a bow only shotgun and muzzleloader but its the same thing. they will come blowing by you and you have to make them stop to get a shot off. a short bleep will make em stop long enough to get a shot off.

I think my first tactic will be to walk down the street, by-passing the fields all together and cut into my stand. From there I have a 180 foot walk to my stand. That might be better than bumping them from the field and then again when I get to the woods. We'll see

I mean go to your stand and have someone walk from the field to you at your stand. Key here is to let the pusher know when your ready, But whatever works for you.

I mean go to your stand and have someone walk from the field to you at your stand. Key here is to let the pusher know when your ready, But whatever works for you.

As in a drive, I totally get it. It's a good idea, I just don't have the person to drive them. Ill need to work on that.

Don't go in the same way if you are bumping the deer. Are you bumping bedded deer or deer that are roaming. If they are bedded ideally you want to get in ahead of them, take the long way if you have to, and between the bedding area and feeding areas. If you bump deer too much they will vacate the area. Also avoid walking through bedding areas any time of the day. Letting deer see you climb into and out of your stand is also a bad thing. If they are too close wait until after dark to climb down and sneak out.

So I hunted this spot again on Thursday. There were 3 does bedded in the field again. I walked down the paved street and cut into the woods to my stand, worked great. They didnt leave the field for over an hour, so I know I got in undetected. They milled around a little after sun-up but never gave me a shooting opportunity. We'll try again Monday.

Back
Top Bottom