• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deer Shotgun shopping help

Looking for a 22" deer barrel for 2 3/4 shells, but in blued, not matte. Either I'm looking wrong, or something. Most seem to be for 3" or matte, or both. For an 870.

Get a barrel with a 3" chamber - it will be safe fro 2 3/4

- - - Updated - - -

I have an 11-87 that I've had for about 15 or so years. Last year it failed in the field and wouldn't cycle. Springs in the trigger assembly / feed ramp were tired. Ended up replacing the entire trigger assembly with a new "tactical" unit from Remmy. Basically has a longer feed ramp/button. Point being though - I doubt I would have had cycle problems with an 870. Fortunately I only needed the one shot. Year before I tagged a buck and only needed a single shot for that too. Was shooting slugs - 12 gauge Remington Premier Accu-Tips in 3" magnum. 385 grain slug at 1900 FPS. Oorah! No exit holes. That slug deposited 100% of it's energy into the animal - which is what I'm after. Exits are wasted energy. this sin't archery. You don't want pass throughs with a firearm.
Semi for deer hunting isn't necessary IMHO.

My kid's 870 broke at the point where the action bar attached to the forend. Any mechanical item can break

My kid's 870 broke at the point where the action bar attached to the forend. Any mechanical item can break

Obviously. But there's a lot less to fail in a pump vs a semi. That and when deer hunting a single shot is very often all that is required. So when looking for a deer gun - the pump would be a very logical choice. Never argued that pumps never fail.

Back
Top Bottom