Deer season question 1

Did I read the chart right?

Is shotgun season BEFORE muzzleloader season?

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I say it should go archery, then muzzleloader, then shotgun; with each succeeding one including what is before it, so therefore archery can go the whole season.

Doesn't that make more sense?

You are asking too much... Making sense in MA???

You are reading it correctly, Archery, Shotgun, Muzzleloader. However you are permitted to use either a bow or Muzzleloader in the shotgun season, archery in the Muzzleloader season, but shotgun is only allowed in the Shotgun season.

The reason it is done this way, is because the Muzzleloader season was added as an afterthought not too long ago, to extend the season. However if you tried to swap the shotgun and muzzleloader season MANY people would go ape shit. I know a bunch of hunters that ONLY hunt shotgun, and being that the shotgun season is "peak" deer time, it wouldn't fly.

Adam

I just think that it makes more sense for the more challenging hunting methods to get first "crack" at it.

Actually it's a great time for the muzzleloader season. Usually the woods
settle down towards the end of the shotgun season and the casual hunters
depart leaving only the diehards. After a couple of days without the
hunter traffic deer will return to their normal patterns quickly. In Vt.
where I hunt, the locals love the muzzleloader season, which is after
the rifle season. Don't let the calendar discourage you. Some big bucks
get taken during the primitive firearms season.

TBP

Coyote33 said:
Did I read the chart right?

Is shotgun season BEFORE muzzleloader season?

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I say it should go archery, then muzzleloader, then shotgun; with each succeeding one including what is before it, so therefore archery can go the whole season.

Doesn't that make more sense?

ACTUALLY, it would be cool to have archery, then "primitive", meaning flintlock/flashpan, then all other muzzle loaders, then shotgun, then rifle; with each new one allowing the one before it. Or maybe just archery/primitive, and then all other muzzle loaders AND shotguns together. I think the archery and primitive guys deserve a little head start for going the extra effort.

Then again, how about one season for all, including rifles maybe west of I-190/290/395 or something.

Coyote33 said:
Then again, how about one season for all, including rifles maybe west of I-190/290/395 or something.

Never happen... Still too populated.

I'm with ya though.

Adam

Of course they could allow pistols and pistol caliber rifles if they want that
bullet drop. You would probably get more young and female shooters
and more practice among hunters if they didn't have to fear the
recoil of a 12G slug.

F

They don't have to use a 12GA. Even down to a 20GA slug will effectively kill a deer with a well placed shot, out past 100yds. I only hunt in ma with either my 16AG or my side lock Hawkin style .50.

Adam

Need to remember that firearm deer seasons in almost all states try to occur during 'The Rut'. This is the time the deer are most active and moving, thus making easier to hunt and take. They do this to try and get as many people in the woods as they can safetly to take X amount of deer as they can to keep the herds healthy and near peek carrying capacity for the land.

With today's muzzleloaders I think that a muzzleloader will give you more range and better accuracy than a shotgun. All you need to do is be a good shot. More and more guys are opting for their blackpowder guns during the shotgun season for just this reason.

My Remington 700 ML is quite accurate with sabot rounds. I haven't tried putting a rifled barrel on my 870. Accuracy with the smooth bore barrel is quite unimpressive.

I have a 700ML also, and also like the accuracy I get from the sabots. The reason a sabot does not get any accuracy from a smoothbore is that there is nothing to spin the sabot and bullet. With a smoothbore, you have to use Foster-type slugs. These are already rifled.
BTW, have you had any accuracy issues with the Remington lubed conical bullets? I can't stand them. :x

I never said anything about using sabots in my 870. I use foster-type slugs in the 870. Accuracy still sucks. If I get a rifled barrel for it, then I'll use sabots. Anyone tried the new Federal Vital-shok Truball Rifled Slug? Federal is claiming much improved accuracy out of a smoothbore with these new slugs.

I've never tried Remington lubed conical bullets in my 700 ML.

Your accuracy shouldn't be too bad to start with..

What kind of sights on your shotgun?

How bad is bad?

I can get all slug shots (using Remington cheep-O's) in the circles of a standard 50' rapid fire pistol target in the rings at 100 yds using an old J.C. Higgins bolt action 16ga shotgun with only a front bead sight.

Adam

I've got a Leupold 1-4 shotgun scope mounted on my 870. Perhaps the mount is loose...

Bad is probably 4-6" group at 50 yards, from a benchrest.

Bolt action shotguns are noticeably more accurate than pumps.

Well, unless you've got a rifled barrel, 4-6" groups at 50 yards aren't too bad for a smooth bore shotgun.

And, Adam, the reason that pump or autoloader shotguns are less accurate than bolt or break opens is the stuff hanging from the barrel, and the looseness of the action.

Sorry, I thought (assumed) you were insinuating that you shot sabots from a smoothbore.
I normally use plain old Winchester Super-X 2-3/4 slugs and don't have much room to complain at 50&100 yds. with a smoothbore slug barrel.
100 yds. gets a bit tricky. Maybe I'll try to find some of thoes Federals and give myself something to do this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom