Deer Down, Any local butchers?

Got a good deer today -I'm probably going to skin it tonight, but to be honest I wasn't really expecting to get one so I'm not 100% set up for processing. It can wait at least till tom., supposed to be cold tonight.

But, does anyone know any decent local butchers ( East Longmeadow/ Springfield area) ?? :D
9z2rmydTzR5cKpLvr8VVH98wuZN_W_0Etc_no-DS1WuIjmm9kX9BfLGxr2d6bBhFYAPOGVpemPjKTaCcjLqqkVuOAU4ZNJmPG5cS4oyCcve_jT5p6RTruag19JKL2VdnjJ4NLMAUbSJLTgI_kiADqt8m2g6P54vpwKHxp4izV1cCLgY-JDbH11jcl6fMqkyBitiTE4QzOSWecSBhNFB-C04ufLYFMHOHYFSruJwpdG0iZWkiPB-AFNqR5W4AjkX3XI65bgUyrjq-yJ0yJDyk78zbC0CkmNOQ7xE-0d-37xZAGYNgVZwFU9qujShkZ_ZLFGvwJwyAhqVE6BrJ12YzZvpKf2O1F8qvvYN0C8o_qUDdnc7ZRpWsL4VD4YDHnKLYWCi7X1j-LQKrYdRm_6rEVHpJBghGUCsTaBYN1iStC_ghKhKhx3xrzudDyfyeIkALYulZuK94EKDky9GTbb3_PpR7Ky5HeruF3omvvyt_vKT_vVJq5eQ7KPggh_v4OybQ4BqkQ5gcLPR5hAnG9FHfHfpe0dmk4tNoH-fcUdCFEc24Ds7d-_GGEUm27ub9Zddq35M8PdOTi2564KKAI5clxQ1Wv6OVtewwFM7k3Pw4Qw=w410-h635-no

Not very sporting of you shooting a deer that was tied up. I'm guessing about 135lbs.

Well done.

Question - When you guys were dragging him out were his horns catching on ground? Just curious.
I usually loop around the rack and drag from there...

I hang the deer for atleast 3-4 days depending on weather bafore i cut it up.

Question why hang for that long? One of my workers lives in Minnesota and was a chief for 30 years. He still does large game dinners (people buy tickets) on a regular basis. When he lived here he used to tell me it was really strange to see people hanging deer for days. I guess they don’t do that there. He gave a lot of reasons at the time why not to do that but I forget off hand. He does it all in one day.

Congratulations on you buck.

I have been using M&M Custom Butchering in Belchertown the last few years. 413.323.5523

Don't hang it. It's way too warm.

Get some ice in the cavity, between the hams, and across the back and wrap it tightly in a tarp and put it in the garage where it is out of the sun. That will keep it until tomorrow if necessary.

Bob

I've posted about hanging deer in this forum a year or two ago. I grew up in a family owned USDA inspected slaughtering business and eventually ended up owning it until we decided to close it. Hanging beef and deer are two different things. Most hunters hang deer with their hide on and that is a big mistake. Get it checked in ASAP and skin it as soon as you can. Even beef that's hung for a while, is not hung with it's hide on. The hide holds heat and people will say how they pack the inside with ice, do this, or that, but nothing cools the deer completely like pulling the hide. Aging or hanging is done for the enzymes in the meat to break down the meat to make it tender. Doing this with beef works as the fat helps keep moisture in the meat while the enzymes break down the tissues. Deer have no fat, or none to bother mentioning and hanging a deer only dries the meat out. This is how I process my own deer and have found it to yield the best tasting venison.

1. If I kill a deer during archery I bring it home with the guts in it. I do the same in shotgun.
2. I then check the deer on line if archery or take it to a checking station if shotgun season after I gut it at home leaving the hide and head on
3. I skin the deer
4. I gut the deer if it was archery.
5. I wash it and let it hang one day (even if it's warm, the air temp is still usually 40+ degrees cooler than a live deer's body temperature so it's cooling down and you can't cool an animal carcass too fast or it will trap heat around the bones especially in the rounds)
6. I cut the deer up the next day boning it completely out, then steak it. all meat is vacuum packed. Meat for grinding is frozen for at least a month before grinding.

Yeah, the antlers do a hang up a little but my dad helped on the drag. Would have bene herculean to drag that thing through bushes, rocks, and logs by myself.

Congratulations on you buck.

I have been using M&M Custom Butchering in Belchertown the last few years. 413.323.5523

Don't hang it. It's way too warm.

Get some ice in the cavity, between the hams, and across the back and wrap it tightly in a tarp and put it in the garage where it is out of the sun. That will keep it until tomorrow if necessary.

Bob

Went with these guys, seem like a good outfit- thanks

I've posted about hanging deer in this forum a year or two ago. I grew up in a family owned USDA inspected slaughtering business and eventually ended up owning it until we decided to close it. Hanging beef and deer are two different things. Most hunters hang deer with their hide on and that is a big mistake. Get it checked in ASAP and skin it as soon as you can. Even beef that's hung for a while, is not hung with it's hide on. The hide holds heat and people will say how they pack the inside with ice, do this, or that, but nothing cools the deer completely like pulling the hide. Aging or hanging is done for the enzymes in the meat to break down the meat to make it tender. Doing this with beef works as the fat helps keep moisture in the meat while the enzymes break down the tissues. Deer have no fat, or none to bother mentioning and hanging a deer only dries the meat out. This is how I process my own deer and have found it to yield the best tasting venison.

1. If I kill a deer during archery I bring it home with the guts in it. I do the same in shotgun.
2. I then check the deer on line if archery or take it to a checking station if shotgun season after I gut it at home leaving the hide and head on
3. I skin the deer
4. I gut the deer if it was archery.
5. I wash it and let it hang one day (even if it's warm, the air temp is still usually 40+ degrees cooler than a live deer's body temperature so it's cooling down and you can't cool an animal carcass too fast or it will trap heat around the bones especially in the rounds)
6. I cut the deer up the next day boning it completely out, then steak it. all meat is vacuum packed. Meat for grinding is frozen for at least a month before grinding.

Sounds very similar to what my buddy said.

If i ever get one ill be breaking it down immediately, i want to try skinning it with a golfball and winch or vehicle.. check it out on you tube

if it was cold you have some time....im not big on hanging it to age..

Sorry i cant recommend a butcher.. id just get it quartered and go from there.

Pretty much quarter and get the backstrap, then id put the rest at the bate piIe for yotes.

Back
Top Bottom