• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Elk down

We headed back in around 11am. Beautiful sunshine but still 8 degrees! Did the mile and half in for the last load. 2:30pm and we were back to the truck. Loads were heavy. I had about 70 pounds, my son in law probably had 100, his buddy another 70. After three trips over two days only seperated by twelve hours or so, I'm wiped out.

On the way out I noticed a guy on private land. We saw him on the way in. Looked like he had an animal down. I told my son in law to pull over because I was going to hike in and see if he needed help. Well the gentleman was happy for the offer. I wave the kids to come in and help. He had two sleds full of elk. We start talking. So, today was his 73rd birthday. It was the first time in 50 years he got an elk on his birthday. I told him happy birthday and to make it even better we will haul out his kill. Super nice dude. He went out at 6:30 this morning, alone. It was minus 11. He shot the elk and field butchered all alone. I was like, "you rolled this thing on your own to get at the other half?" He sure did. He was like, it wasn't easy. Let me tell you guys, elks are heavy. I told him that I'm two months from 57, and he is an inspiration. His advice, keeping getting at it, don't stop.

He took my name and number. Going to give me some bacon and cheddar elk brawts once it's processed. What a perfect way to end this journey of fun and pain.

Last edited:
He sorta looks like I do in teh back seat of the car after hiking for 9 hours. Glad I don't have horns or someone might want to shoot me. ;)

Congrats

Back
Top Bottom