• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deals and steals

The question is, for someone who doesn’t own any of those cals (except 223) or a bolt action, which one to start with…? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Asking for a friend.

All depends on what you're looking for! It's a cheap way to get into longer range shooting with something like .308 or 6.5C. Or to try a new caliber you've considered. That's why I went 6.5C on the first one. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. (Not quite a fanboy, but I will say it's much easier on the shoulder than 7.62x54R!)

The .223 is nice in a bolt because it slows things down at the range, and the rounds are much cheaper than the larger calibers. We had both my .223 and 6.5 out to the 400 yard range last weekend, and shot the .223 much more. With CMP Creedmoor Sports ammo ($.65 per round) we were able to consistently hit the 4" gong when we did our part.

I just located the list. They also produce these in .22-250, .25-06, and .350 Legend. I'd probably avoid the harder to find calibers such as 7mm-08 and .25-06 because finding ammo will be tough. Every Walmart in the local area seems to always have a few boxes of .350 Legend, but I don't think you'd have as much fun at longer ranges with it.

Last edited:
I was looking at the Cabela’s black Friday flyer, they will have a Vortex spitfire 3x prism scope for $199 stating on BF.

Vortex recently came out with the Gen 2 so I bet these are Gen 1. Still a very good scope and an excellent deal.

I have a Gen 1 I paid $350 for about 18 months ago. Like new. Looking to sell it but now the resale value is gone. [sad]

Vortex recently came out with the Gen 2 so I bet these are Gen 1. Still a very good scope and an excellent deal.

I have a Gen 1 I paid $350 for about 18 months ago. Like new. Looking to sell it but now the resale value is gone. [sad]
They are definitely gen 1. I feel your pain, I have a P320 standard subcompact that has been rendered valueless buy the 365XL

Grab the 223. You already have ammo for it. It's cheaper to run than the others. It will also help you learn, and deal with, wind better.
That's half my reasoning for the rifle I was going to put under my Razor. Part of me wants to get in on this deal now, so I can get out and shoot more. Then build a rifle for the glass I have...it just feels like settling.

That's half my reasoning for the rifle I was going to put under my Razor. Part of me wants to get in on this deal now, so I can get out and shoot more. Then build a rifle for the glass I have...it just feels like settling.
I wouldn't say settling. A 223 rifle is a great trainer. You'll learn a lot shooting distance with it. Just make sure you like the stock, some of the cheaper savages don't have a lot of aftermarket stocks available for them.

I was looking at the Cabela’s black Friday flyer, they will have a Vortex spitfire 3x prism scope for $199 stating on BF.

the PA 2.5x prism absolutely smokes the vortex spitfire. With the save12 coupon it’s also cheaper. I have one of these on a 16” recce setup, swapped on in place of the aimpoint pro for shots beyond 200 yards. I’ve taken the 2.5x to 400 yards easily. Incredible optical clarity for the price. The reticle is excellent for .223.

im no PA fanboy. Some of their optics blow or are overpriced. These older prism optics are cheaper and just as good as the newer expensive models.

I wouldn't say settling. A 223 rifle is a great trainer. You'll learn a lot shooting distance with it. Just make sure you like the stock, some of the cheaper savages don't have a lot of aftermarket stocks available for them.
To be clear, I'm not thinking of 223 as settling - the reasons you describe are why I want to build a 223 varmint rifle. I'm wondering if it's better to get the Savage, or to save up and buy-once-cry-once. Clearly, I need to swing by Cabela's and see if I like the stock. (Really, for $250, maybe I don't care?)

Free copy of Law of Self Defense by Andrew Branca, just pay shipping and handling. I was watching the Rietka Law Youtube channel while the various lawyers were talking about the Rittenhouse trial. Andrew was on and made mention that you can get a copy of his book free on his website. I've already read the book once before that a friend loaned me, worth reading if you are carrying.

Bear in mind his website crashed today after he made mention of it on the livestream, but I just tried a few minutes ago and was able to place my order. So if you try during the day and the site is down, just try later when there is likely to be less people trying to order.

Free copy of Law of Self Defense by Andrew Branca, just pay shipping and handling. I was watching the Rietka Law Youtube channel while the various lawyers were talking about the Rittenhouse trial. Andrew was on and made mention that you can get a copy of his book free on his website. I've already read the book once before that a friend loaned me, worth reading if you are carrying.

Bear in mind his website crashed today after he made mention of it on the livestream, but I just tried a few minutes ago and was able to place my order. So if you try during the day and the site is down, just try later when there is likely to be less people trying to order.
Order summary says 3 copies for $11. Plus shipping ($8.95) totals $19.95. Not complaining, but its not free

Been trying all day. Thanks for the reminder. It worked.

To be clear, I'm not thinking of 223 as settling - the reasons you describe are why I want to build a 223 varmint rifle. I'm wondering if it's better to get the Savage, or to save up and buy-once-cry-once. Clearly, I need to swing by Cabela's and see if I like the stock. (Really, for $250, maybe I don't care?)
You know, it will most likely shoot well. But, like I said, finding a good stock for it might be difficult. I don't even see one listed at KRG for that model. This would probably be a gun that stays in original format. If you want something nicer, I would try to score an action or a stock on black Friday, and start from there.

Would anyone happen to know whether Leupold scopes ever go on sale? I'm wondering whether to wait around for Black Friday deals, but if these scopes are never discounted, then I'll just go ahead and order one now. The reason I ask is that PA just had a 12% off sale on most things on their site, but Leupold was excluded from the discount.

Thanks.

Frank

Would anyone happen to know whether Leupold scopes ever go on sale? I'm wondering whether to wait around for Black Friday deals, but if these scopes are never discounted, then I'll just go ahead and order one now. The reason I ask is that PA just had a 12% off sale on most things on their site, but Leupold was excluded from the discount.

Thanks.

Frank
I don’t think I’ve ever seen them on sale

Thanks.

Frank
Wait for an optics planet coupon code. You can find 5% ones currently by googling. 10-13% ones pop up like once a month for a few days to a week, similar to the PA random 12% sales

Wait for an optics planet coupon code. You can find 5% ones currently by googling. 10-13% ones pop up like once a month for a few days to a week, similar to the PA random 12% sales

Thanks. Optics Planet would be my preferred place to buy it, since I already have some store credit and a $15 coupon to use there soon. I just don't know if Leupold is one of those companies that's always one of those "Some exclusions apply" companies when sales pop up.

Frank

@ Brownells pre black Friday sale

$169.99 Rise Armament RA535 - AR-15 Advanced Performance Trigger

This is an excellent single stage trigger, incredible fast performer. Comes with KNS anti-walk pins.
I have it in two rifles.

Also try code PTT for an additional $10 off (unconfirmed).

🐯

@ Brownells pre black Friday sale

$169.99 Rise Armament RA535 - AR-15 Advanced Performance Trigger

This is an excellent single stage trigger, incredible fast performer. Comes with KNS anti-walk pins.
I have it in two rifles.

Also try code PTT for an additional $10 off (unconfirmed).

🐯
I don't know anything about these Rise triggers but Aim Surplus has a Rise sale as well.

Thanks.

Frank
I did pick one up on a “closeout sale” once. That was when they were phasing out an older model and the stores still had some old inventory even though the new model was now available.

These are on sale again for $245 at Home Depot. They make great ammo storage cabinets, each shelf is rated for 150 lbs. They have several cable holes in the back so they won’t over pressure in case of a fire.

The black are a bit more. I have the black:
Ammo Cab.jpg

These are on sale again for $245 at Home Depot. They make great ammo storage cabinets, each shelf is rated for 150 lbs. They have several cable holes in the back so they won’t over pressure in case of a fire.

View attachment 544671
I feel triggered who keeps ammo in the box and not a giant plano with other ammo

I feel triggered who keeps ammo in the box and not a giant plano with other ammo
Keeps my workload down, I don’t have to label anything. I keep an inventory of some 20 different calibers and it is just easier to identify them if I keep them in their original boxes. Just open up a cabinet and grab what I want for today’s range session.

View attachment 544671😍
What a beautiful sight

Back
Top Bottom