Deals and steals

from that review sounds like a 3MOA bolt action, for a $300 - may be ok.
this review shows a bit better groups.

I bought one in 6.5C three years ago to try out the caliber and installed a $20 MCARBO trigger kit. It shot 120 grain cheap Winchester 60 pack ammo surprisingly well. CMP Creedmoor sports 140 grain BTHPs shot the three-round groups shown below. They're all about .7" with the Weaver factory scope at 100 yards. These were the only three groups I shot that day, just checking zero shift with the heavier bullets.

Group 1.jpg Group 3.jpg Group 2.jpg

I also have a .223 that shoots almost as well with 55 grain Creedmoor Sports. I can't recall ever getting a 3" groups with either rifle!

Last edited:
from that review sounds like a 3MOA bolt action, for a $300 - may be ok.
this review shows a bit better groups.
Yup, 3MOA
View: https://youtu.be/6MDswM5FlYU

If you comparing it to other $200 older 1-4x, it was a good choice from that pile of scopes. Today, I'd buy another Primary 1-6x. I've been beating one of those up on a 375 H&H, and it's been fine. Not great, but good glass. I still have a SWFA 1-6x30HD, who's biggest drawback is weight. It's a good scope, but there's been a lot of development on LVPOs since that came out, too.
For $200, yes. All day.
SWFA 1-4x for $200 or Burris RT-6 1-6x for $280 or SIG Tango MSR 1-6x for $280?

Last edited:
Cabela's will be having their usual Savage Axis Black Friday sale next week. This sale ususally includes the Axis XP and a rebate, but this year it includes the Axis II (with adjustable Accutrigger and better scope) and no rebate to worry about. I've picked up two of these over the years, and both are sub MOA with good ammo. Not bad for a $300 rifle!

Calibers carried by Cabela's: 6.5C, .350 Legend, 7mm-08, .25-06, .270, .30-06, .308, and .223.
View attachment 686619
Would love to get one of these in .223, and swap in a .20 Practical or .20 Vartarg barrel. Anybody here ever do that?

That kind of kills it. $350 isn't pocket change... a 3moa .308 scoped bolt gun seems antithetical. You can buy a new production WASR that's 3MOA.

I wonder if other calibers do better out of this. But meh, its a $350 gun I'm not expecting a lot

Last edited:
I have a Savage Axis in 30-06 and it is a great shooter once it was broken in and got a trigger upgrade.

The trigger was horrible so I put in a Timney trigger which was a huge upgrade and I put a better scope on it. The scope it came with is now on a 22.

The Axis II with the adjustable trigger is the way to go IMO. You get a decent adjustable trigger out of the box cheaper than putting in a Timney like I did.

ETA:
Mine shoots the Hornady American Whitetail 30-06 Springfield Ammo 180 Grain Interlock Spire Point very well.

The rifle was picky before the barrel was broken in but now that it is settled in it shoots the mid weight bullets an up well.

Last edited:
$449.99 $325.99

And $128 for a Ka-Bar???? Damn. WTF,O???? Those aren't $128 durable. Wow. Just wow. When did those prices skyrocket??? I know it's been many years, but the last time I looked at one it was $40 or something. LOL

So BPS in the Black Friday mailer I just got, has heritage rough rider for 80$ after rebate (.22 only). Any one with experience? Was thinking of having it under the Xmas tree this year to take the kiddo out. Not for Sale in MA but doesn’t affect me.

So BPS in the Black Friday mailer I just got, has heritage rough rider for 80$ after rebate (.22 only). Any one with experience? Was thinking of having it under the Xmas tree this year to take the kiddo out. Not for Sale in MA but doesn’t affect me.
It's an $80 22LR revolver. They're fun to shoot, but built to the price. I'd buy one if only it was available.

FPC just filed a lawsuit against the handgun roster, FYI

Would love to get one of these in .223, and swap in a .20 Practical or .20 Vartarg barrel. Anybody here ever do that?
Not to those particular calibers, but I've installed others on various 10, 110 and Axis actions. You'll need a barrel or receiver wrench, headspace gauges and the replacement barrel. If you stick with the same Savage barrel profile, it shouldn't need any stock modification.

ETA: Savage 12 - Axis uses a different recoil lug that is attached to the barrel, but is otherwise the same as the 10/110 to deal with. The 12 in that post was the first one I did.

Last edited:
Compete upper WITH BCG and CG. $130 off, I grabbed one a year ago at $299. I will probably grab another one

Definitely worth it. Mine runs like a champ. The single action clicks are worth the price of admission 😂 I think I paid $119 but w/e.

What if they were all the same price?
I'd pick based on reticle and use. I really like the KISS on the PA scope for hunting, if I wanted holdoffs/holdovers I'd go with the Burris. Part of that is familiarity, though - don't think I've ever ranged anything with a reticle, so can't say what works in that application. If we could compare them head to head, I'm sure an obvious winner would emerge. I'd assume that they all would pass the 'good enough' test, though.

Dammit. I snoozed and loozed. I was gonn get tatcical sporks and spoons and chopsticks to put in my adult children's stockings this Christmas at Ka-Bar. I had them in the cart yesterday and left work. Got back today - no more sale. :(

It is a nice gun for wht it is. Really nice at that price point. I think I paid ~$120. Google around about the sight picture on them though. Something about how the barrel is clocked. They all shoot a little high and left I think it is. Or low and right. I forget which position was the direction they shoot and which one was the corrected hold. Either way, once you get used to it, they are plenty accurate. I haven't shot it in a while but I could consistently hit center bull at 40 ft after I put a few rounds through it. You can always but the mag cyl. separately. I think they are like $30 .

For our pink pistols member who may be looking for a familiar feeling VFG. [rofl2]

*No hate boys, just jokes... Oh and don't blame me. Blame a combination of the accelerator cut thread and reddit . [laugh]

K-bar is not a $128.00 knife, but they are trying to get it.
So got drinking and forgot to order the kbar I was looking at.
Are you saying there are better options then kbar for the price ?
I'll probably pick something up as an Xmas present to self . Figured I'd wait till they did the half off sale again unless swayed another direction.

So got drinking and forgot to order the kbar I was looking at.
Are you saying there are better options then kbar for the price ?
I'll probably pick something up as an Xmas present to self . Figured I'd wait till they did the half off sale again unless swayed another direction.
This one might be OK.
I'd prefer the Nimravus, but this is a deal, to keep in theme with this thread:
Amazon product ASIN B004DT4A50View: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DT4A50/

Don't we have a couple knifemakers here on NES? Also, a knife shop at "the mill"?

How about "Made in Sweden"?

For knives in that price range, look at ESEE, Becker, Bark River. Or get an actually high quality knife, for 2-3 times the price, and never look for another survival knife ever again. Fallkniven, TRC, Busse combat, and a few others.
you can just spend 30-40 times your budget and get a Rockstead. Their bargain bin knives run around $1500, but if you cough up $6500, you’ll get a really nice one.

Back
Top Bottom