Deals and steals

so, i was concerned about getting a barrel from that armorally sale and it did not disappoint.
not sure now if i should just to return it right away or still give it a try. may be will give it a try.
dunno what they did to this faxon, it does not have some obvious marks to be used or shot before, like the gas port area has no scratches, but it is difficult to say, and it could have been refinished. but i think it was just stored in shitty conditions.
can't take a decent bore picture but it still has some shit inside that is most likely rust. lands seem to be intact, so, i`m torn really, did not expect something like this.
Unless that is from the proofing load. I see no other way it could be that bad unless it was used already

so, i was concerned about getting a barrel from that armorally sale and it did not disappoint.
not sure now if i should just to return it right away or still give it a try. may be will give it a try.
dunno what they did to this faxon, it does not have some obvious marks to be used or shot before, like the gas port area has no scratches, but it is difficult to say, and it could have been refinished. but i think it was just stored in shitty conditions.
can't take a decent bore picture but it still has some shit inside that is most likely rust. lands seem to be intact, so, i`m torn really, did not expect something like this.
That's bore is just nasty, the machining on the barrel extension looks kind of crude also, I'd return it.
Is it a match series barrel that they claim "are Nitride treated inside and out, locking in the bore, improving barrel life, and keeping the elements at bay"?
What pre-emptively gave you cause for concern about buying from the sale?

That's bore is just nasty, the machining on the barrel extension looks kind of crude also, I'd return it.
Is it a match series barrel that they claim "are Nitride treated inside and out, locking in the bore, improving barrel life, and keeping the elements at bay"?
What pre-emptively gave you cause for concern about buying from the sale?
Dunno, a gut feeling. If they sell a $270 faxon for $200 - something gotta be up with it, and it was.

I cleaned it up, bore looks a bit better. I emailed them for RMA, will see.
May still try it up first. It looks more like new to me, just in shitty condition. it is a 16" 2lbs 6.5CM faxon, a good fit for a lightweight 6.5CM ar10.
kinda hate it now, though.

Attachments

• 0390F803-ABC4-4059-902D-CA7AAC8FEC07.jpeg
    0390F803-ABC4-4059-902D-CA7AAC8FEC07.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 34
  • BC6BE5B1-8F71-477C-BAF8-114BF8B00513.jpeg
    BC6BE5B1-8F71-477C-BAF8-114BF8B00513.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 34
Dunno, a gut feeling. If they sell a $270 faxon for $200 - something gotta be up with it, and it was.

I cleaned it up, bore looks a bit better. I emailed them for RMA, will see.
May still try it up first. It looks more like new to me, just in shitty condition. it is a 16" 2lbs 6.5CM faxon, a good fit for a lightweight 6.5CM ar10.
kinda hate it now, though.
So it's a 'big gunner' series I take it.
I have it's smaller sibling in .223 wylde and just looking in at the end of the extension can see it has much cleaner machining.
Those barrels are stainless, QPQ coated inside/out and with a nickel teflon coated extension.
What the hell is there to rust? Seems like it would have to be external contamination and made on a monday or something...

So it's a 'big gunner' series I take it.
I have it's smaller sibling in .223 wylde and just looking in at the end of the extension can see it has much cleaner machining.
Those barrels are stainless, QPQ coated inside/out and with a nickel teflon coated extension.
What the hell is there to rust? Seems like it would have to be external contamination and made on a monday or something...
dunno, i was quite surprised too, and it seems to be a legit big gunner faxon based on the markings, i checked it. odd stuff.

but speaking of rust - stainless steel rusts just fine, if conditions are set for it.

Last edited:
Dam that sucks.
The BA barrel I got was in a sealed bag, after reading that I took a good look at mine & it's fine.
It looks like yours was test fired with some cheap steel cased ammo & wasn't cleaned

the absence of a removable toolhead design, well, at a price comparable to dillon - nope.

$239 (plus powder measure and a set of dies - maybe $120?) versus the pistol-only SDB at $585? It quick-changes each station instead of the whole toolhead.

I will say I never liked teh SDB. It was just too small in the arbor. The 550 was the best press I ever used. Manual advancing was nice to have. Alas, I don't bother reloading anymore.

Is their 1-4x worth it for 200 bucks? It's a pretty old design and LPVO's get upgraded pretty often with higher ranges, lower distortion, better illumination.
If you comparing it to other $200 older 1-4x, it was a good choice from that pile of scopes. Today, I'd buy another Primary 1-6x. I've been beating one of those up on a 375 H&H, and it's been fine. Not great, but good glass. I still have a SWFA 1-6x30HD, who's biggest drawback is weight. It's a good scope, but there's been a lot of development on LVPOs since that came out, too.

50% off (Most) KA-BAR Products

Our popular 50% off sale is back and better than ever. After a three-year hiatus due to limited inventory, we are thrilled to offer 50% off of most KA-BAR products only at KA-BAR.com.

When: Tuesday, November 15 at 12am EST to Wednesday, November 16, 2022, at 11:59pm EST
Where: KA-BAR.com

We are running this sale early to ensure items arrive in advance of the holiday season. Please note this discount does not apply to orders placed before November 15 or after November 16. Exclusions apply and are listed below.

Don’t wait around for Black Friday and Cyber Monday for deals – it doesn’t get better than this!

We will have special Customer Service hours during this promotion on both Tuesday the 15th & Wednesday the 16th from 8:00am EST - 6:30pm EST.

*50% off most products, online at kabar.com only. Discount applied at checkout.
KA-BARgains Sale begins at 12:00AM Tuesday, November 15 and runs until 11:59PM Wednesday, November 16.

This sale excludes the following items: #1120, #1211S, #1216S, #1217EWS, #1217HC, #1217I, #1217S, #1220S, #1225S, #1226, #1226S, #1232, #1232S, #1233S, #1234, #1234S, #1235, #1235S, #1236S, #1245S, #1248, #1250S, #1251S, #1256S, #1271S, #1317S, #1333, #1431, #1437, #1480S, #1482S, #1727-XL, #2225S, #3050S, #3052S, #4062KG, #4062ZG, #4072ZG, #5011S, #5016S, #5300, #5705, #6412, #6417, #6417DH, #6420, #6421, #8017, #9406, #9912, #9926, #9929, #9929BAND-1, #BK10S, #BK11HNDL, #BK11S, #BK15S, #BK16HNDL, #BK22S, #BK23BP, #BK2S, #BK2VZ, #BK3S, #BK4S, #BK62HNDL, #BK77BLKHNDL, #BK77HNDL, #BK7S, #BK9S, #EK13, #KBHAT1 and Military Appreciation Gifts.

All offers are limited to stock on hand, and no rain checks are available. Not valid on prior purchases, taxes or shipping and processing charges. KA-BAR has the right to end or modify the promotion at any time. Other restrictions may apply. Offers only apply to shipping addresses in the United States unless otherwise noted.
Gotta repost this when it starts cause I’m gonna forget. Please and thank you.
@NH_Realtor

Cabela's will be having their usual Savage Axis Black Friday sale next week. This sale ususally includes the Axis XP and a rebate, but this year it includes the Axis II (with adjustable Accutrigger and better scope) and no rebate to worry about. I've picked up two of these over the years, and both are sub MOA with good ammo. Not bad for a $300 rifle!

Calibers carried by Cabela's: 6.5C, .350 Legend, 7mm-08, .25-06, .270, .30-06, .308, and .223.
Savage.png

Is their 1-4x worth it for 200 bucks? It's a pretty old design and LPVO's get upgraded pretty often with higher ranges, lower distortion, better illumination.

I have one and it’s an excellent optic. I like the ability to dial elevation and windage. For $200 it is a phenomenal 1-4x24 optic. i would take it over a viper PST 1-6x any day and it’s less than half the price. The SWFA illumination is not daylight bright but that isn’t an issue for my purposes.

regarding LPVO in general, the trend over past 5 years has been for unnecessary BS disguised as an upgrade. The outcome has been retarded heavy scopes w absurd FFP reticles that are invisible on 1x and thick at 6x. An LPVO should be lightweight, second focal plane and have minimal distortion on 1x setting. Beyond this is just doodads. a good example is the viper PST 1-4x24. Other than the razor line, That was vortex’s last decent LPVO. There’s a reason the old viper PST is still desirable. Same with the Steiner P4Xi. Simple, lightweight, good glass…a recipe that always works for LPVO.

Last edited:

For $200 it’s better than some, but mine had major fish eye under 1.5x so I sold it.

I love the SWFA fixed 10x scopes for range rifles. I might try a 6x this sale. Nevermind, the MRAD version isn’t available in 6x.

Last edited:
Cabela's will be having their usual Savage Axis Black Friday sale next week. This sale ususally includes the Axis XP and a rebate, but this year it includes the Axis II (with adjustable Accutrigger and better scope) and no rebate to worry about. I've picked up two of these over the years, and both are sub MOA with good ammo. Not bad for a $300 rifle!

Calibers carried by Cabela's: 6.5C, .350 Legend, 7mm-08, .25-06, .270, .30-06, .308, and .223.
View attachment 686619

Wow so it comes with the scope and gun for $349?

$300 if you have their CC. I hate Cabelas so much ... but I might grab one.
from that review sounds like a 3MOA bolt action, for a $300 - may be ok.
this review shows a bit better groups.

from that review sounds like a 3MOA bolt action, for a $300 - may be ok.
this review shows a bit better groups.
3 MOA? [puke]

Back
Top Bottom