• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deals and steals

I've thought about upgrading my Joe - Version 1.0. But honestly, it works just fine. I dislike the new ash-catcher. The upgraded daisy wheel is nifty. Otherwise, it's the same damned thing

Jeez….I hope a bunch of you pounced on that $698 price - as it is now $998

I definitely would have snapped up a KJII at that price

Discounted to $1199 right now. ROFL!!!!

I'm pretty sure a lot of places were dumping II's at a similar price in the last year or so. Remember the 3.0 has been out for a while now. Why they are even MAKING 2.0's is beyond me. I guess they had parts left over.

I've thought about upgrading my Joe - Version 1.0. But honestly, it works just fine. I dislike the new ash-catcher. The upgraded daisy wheel is nifty. Otherwise, it's the same damned thing

Discounted to $1199 right now. ROFL!!!!

I'm pretty sure a lot of places were dumping II's at a similar price in the last year or so. Remember the 3.0 has been out for a while now. Why they are even MAKING 2.0's is beyond me. I guess they had parts left over.
I was asking the same question recently; the 3 is taller than the 2. It looks like they're maintaining all three generations to offer different price points based on feature sets.

Yeah. The whole dual-level cooking on something as "small" as the original Joe is just excessive. You're lucky to get 2 11# pork butts on there. I have to trim a whole packer brisket to fit it. It's JUST barely enough. I guess if you were making Tofu burgers and roasted veggies and crap that two stage stuff would work.

Same with the whole Votexerator thing they have. Some guys go overboard and double-plate the thing. C'mon. One diffuser plate is plenty. Sheesh. If you want smoke and no heat, save your $ and buy a cheap cabinet smoker.

As I said, the biggest thing I wish I had is the new daisy wheel. And it isn't like mine is terrible. It just SHUTS when you open it. So you have to be aware or you'll snuff out that fire at the wrong time.

After changing a gasket a couple of times, I've gotten the hang of it so the uber-gasketing and such is just not necessary to me. I don't run the thing at 700 degrees to sear steaks ever.

Yeah. The whole dual-level cooking on something as "small" as the original Joe is just excessive. You're lucky to get 2 11# pork butts on there. I have to trim a whole packer brisket to fit it. It's JUST barely enough. I guess if you were making Tofu burgers and roasted veggies and crap that two stage stuff would work.

Same with the whole Votexerator thing they have. Some guys go overboard and double-plate the thing. C'mon. One diffuser plate is plenty. Sheesh. If you want smoke and no heat, save your $ and buy a cheap cabinet smoker.

As I said, the biggest thing I wish I had is the new daisy wheel. And it isn't like mine is terrible. It just SHUTS when you open it. So you have to be aware or you'll snuff out that fire at the wrong time.

After changing a gasket a couple of times, I've gotten the hang of it so the uber-gasketing and such is just not necessary to me. I don't run the thing at 700 degrees to sear steaks ever.
"I don't use the features of the product so nobody needs the features!"
"I never use more than 3 bullets while hunting so nobody needs more than 3 rounds in a magazine!"

I thought toolcraft was pretty much the standard? Don't they make the for a lot of name brands and the government?
as usual with BCGs it would be somewhat beneficial to have it made by a same manufacturer who made the barrel. like aero on aero, etc.
it should be just fine as is also, ar15 bolts are pretty generic size wise and do not deviate as much as ar10s.

I thought toolcraft was pretty much the standard? Don't they make the for a lot of name brands and the government?

as usual with BCGs it would be somewhat beneficial to have it made by a same manufacturer who made the barrel. like aero on aero, etc.
it should be just fine as is also, ar15 bolts are pretty generic size wise and do not deviate as much as ar10s.

I haven't bought one in awhile but the Aero Nickel Boron M5 BCGs are identical to the Toolcraft version of the same, right down to the exact profile and the firing pin diameter (which is larger in the NB version)..

However the Aero phosphate and nitride M5 BCGs have, and are advertised as having, a reduced diameter .070 pin. And their profiles are different from the other Toolcraft versions I've seen.

Everything headspaces and works just fine regardless.

So in short. It appears Aero makes their own sometimes or has a very customized one manufactured, uses a Toolcraft at least for other versions that may or may not have an Aero logo on it.

I haven't bought one in awhile but the Aero Nickel Boron M5 BCGs are identical to the Toolcraft version of the same, right down to the exact profile and the firing pin diameter (which is larger in the NB version)..

However the Aero phosphate and nitride M5 BCGs have, and are advertised as having, a reduced diameter .070 pin. And their profiles are different from the other Toolcraft versions I've seen.

Everything headspaces and works just fine regardless.

So in short. It appears Aero makes their own sometimes or has a very customized one manufactured, uses a Toolcraft at least for other versions that may or may not have an Aero logo on it.
nothing in M5 is guaranteed to be perfect until tested, pretty much.

nothing in M5 is guaranteed to be perfect until tested, pretty much.

I always do a detailed visual, headspace, function, check but to date, as far as compatability with Aero M5,
Toolcraft & Spikes BCGs appear to be GTG, as are Criterion barrels. Probably Spikes barrels too, since BCG works.

I do have a dual ejector Toolcraft BCG that didn't run right but otherwise seemed OK. It could have been a weight difference requiring I remove say an extra power spring or tune gas, but at the time I just removed it and has been in a bin ever since. Sounds wierd to mess with such but both DD & Barret use a dual ejector BCG in their 7.62 rifles so I figured there is something to it and wanted to try one in a carbine sort of rifle that gets cycled a lot. Some day I may revisit it - those are a PITA to headspace, 2x ejectors to remove, had to custom drill my jig to punch out the pin (actually don't remember if it was 1x or 2x anymore, but was not usual pin orientation).

I've learned that the hard way after going all Aero/BA with a "high-end" criterion barrel that was the issue...

I've got a couple Criterions and they headspace and operate fine with Aero and Spikes BCGs. Only the Go goes, just what you want. Sure you gotta check but my experience is all those use same spec.

"I don't use the features of the product so nobody needs the features!"
"I never use more than 3 bullets while hunting so nobody needs more than 3 rounds in a magazine!"

Hey - knock yourself out. My point is that the half-circles are so damned small that you're cooking for 2-3 people with this zone cooking. I think most folks buy a KJ for a big cook.

Sure, it may SEEM like a good idea. I'm betting 95% of users never use it, or use it 1-2x and realize it's just not their thing. So for 95% of users, they can go the cheaper route. We wouldn't want everyone to HAVE to buy a case of bullets to go to the range once, right? ;)

My reasonable experience in the KJ specifically and life in general is we convince ourselves we need to spend double the $ on a few dollars of additional benefit and end up never using it. If you wanna spend $2,000, go for it. (3.0 is two THOUSAND dollars. Versus $800 for the 1st gen.)

Ya mine was really an issue with the gas port not really how BCG and barrel fit.

Haven't noted that yet either. Actually I always end up turning the gas down via adjustable block if I'm really trying to assemble the best I can, they work better dialed down usually - at least if it's mid length gas in a carbine. Doesn't seem to be needed in a 20+ inch barrel, maybe one of those could end up under gassed.

Haven't noted that yet either. Actually I always end up turning the gas down via adjustable block if I'm really trying to assemble the best I can, they work better dialed down usually - at least if it's mid length gas in a carbine. Doesn't seem to be needed in a 20+ inch barrel, maybe one of those could end up under gassed.
20in rifle length. Adjustable gas block wasn't enough to get it to cycle.

20in rifle length. Adjustable gas block wasn't enough to get it to cycle.

Gas too low, drilled port up? If so did it work?

If it was gas low, an AGB isn't gonna help, all those do is limit it.

If so, yeah I could see that. My 20 inch 7.62/.308 - certain match 7.62 ammo I've witnessed kinda flops out. My take is rifle length gas, a nearly worst case scenario on heavier ammo with the less powered of the two flavors => weak ejection. But with that said I don't think it's ever failed, just cycles slow. That's with a carbine tube and stock Aero spring - I bet it'd fail with a high power like a sprinco orange.

My 20 inch 7.62/.308 - certain match 7.62 ammo I've witnessed kinda flops out.
my last build on the 20" BA barrel cycles fine now on all ammo with a non-adjustable gas block, but, i would say it is mostly futile exercise to make sure it cycles great on BOTH underpowered, like, a 149gr 7.62 ammo and overly hot 175gr or 185gr .308 loads.
you`ve got to make it work well on your target designated ammo, as it is not an AR15 that generally can just eat anything you throw into it.

my last build on the 20" BA barrel cycles fine now on all ammo with a non-adjustable gas block, but, i would say it is mostly futile exercise to make sure it cycles great on BOTH underpowered, like, a 149gr 7.62 ammo and overly hot 175gr or 185gr .308 loads.
you`ve got to make it work well on your target designated ammo, as it is not an AR15 that generally can just eat anything you throw into it.

Yeah agreed, I see it that way, suspect that's why so many people have problems with these (the range of ammo). But if they just give you enough gas to cycle whatever, an adjustable block solves the rest of the trouble - of course I doubt say S&W, or even Aero, would want to support a commercial rifle with an AGB - people not understanding and breaking it, tuning it wrong, clogging it over time etc etc

I've got an Aero barrel on that 20 inch which was some sorta temporarily available thing at the time, a 5R. It will run anything, actually it isn't even shabby accuracy wise on mil spec - defies logic, that barrel is touched by God or something.

I've got an Aero barrel on that 20 inch which was some sorta temporarily available thing at the time, a 5R. It will run anything, actually it isn't even shabby accuracy wise on mil spec - defies logic, that barrel is touched by God or something.
some shit just works for no reason. :)

i have an 18" wilson arms 7.62 barrel still that has rather shitty accuracy but runs everything, fluted and reasonably light - i think i may end up shortening it down with a grinder :) - just cut it down down to 16" and make a spare upper. have no tools to crown it properly, but, it may not matter that much. a shitty barrel, i would hate to pay somebody to shorten it, as it is not worth its weight anyway.

Back
Top Bottom