Dead Bear

I don't know of any bear hunter that doesn't consume the bear they take.

Like any other hunting it's only allowed because the population needs to be controlled. Bad situation for those hunters to be in. Had they not shot the mother they would have been mauled with the cub being right there.

That was a 160lb corn fed Black Bear taken with a Remington 700 25-06 in the field behind my house. Made for great stews, and the loins were great.

bear.jpg

What kind of meat is the bear holding?

When you gonna have some? I'll stop by. Make sure you have some twizzlers too or I'll kick your ass. [wink]

Oh great, here comes another day of "Guys, I've got a stomach bug" because he ate 5 pounds of twizzlers. [rolleyes] [wink]

I've had bear meat once...Pretty tasty, I thought. Wasn't prepared much different than a steak on the grill.

a lot of it depends on what the bear was eating, too. around here they trash the corn fields feeding in them during the late summer / fall. tastes like a cross between pot roast and lamb. you have to cook it thoroughly though, like pork, so it tends to be tough if you try to grill or fry it. much better for stews / crock pot applications.

I don't eat much meat, just fish really, but the bit about what bears eat is kinda...well, gross. They seem to be one of those animals that you never really know what it eats, around here you could be eating something that has subsisted on spoiled hamburger and week old donuts [puke] I know almost any animal will rummage through trash, but there are just certain animals that seem "ditry" like crows, bear, racoon and turkey vultures. I guess if you cook anything long enough you can eat it though. Just don't eat the liver!

Country Pond has a game dinner every year and they had some bear sausage this year that was good. Its like anything else you have to know how to cook it. Even the best beef will be nasty if cooked wrong. I like going there to try different game.

Back
Top Bottom