Mass hunter found dead

Sparkey

NES Member
Sad story wonder if more to this or if he was just lost. I have never hunted out in Goshen but for the most part Mass doesn't have big woods. Not like Maine or Adirondacks. He was able to make a call out wonder why they couldn’t find him quicker or him find his way out.
One thing I notice with Mass shotgun hunters is a lot of them will jump in the woods with nothing but a shotgun.
I always have a pack with enough stuff that I could spend a night if needed not comfortably but I would survive.

I always have a pack with enough stuff that I could spend a night if needed not comfortably but I would survive.

Sad for sure. Knowing how to make a simple debris shelter could have saved his life.

I ALWAYS have a knife, Flashlight, lighter, whistle, and meds on my person. More in my pack.

I have come close to spending the night but the call for more sammiches keep me going.😆😆

Sad story wonder if more to this or if he was just lost. I have never hunted out in Goshen but for the most part Mass doesn't have big woods. Not like Maine or Adirondacks. He was able to make a call out wonder why they couldn’t find him quicker or him find his way out.
One thing I notice with Mass shotgun hunters is a lot of them will jump in the woods with nothing but a shotgun.
According to the SAT view I can't find anywhere that is over 1 mile from a road
But a medical issue can make that mile hard/impossible

Last edited:
Accord to the SAT view I can't find anywhere that is over 1 mile from a road
But I medical issue can make that mile hard/impossible
The report doesn't say much, but it indicates he called to say he was lost. I would have thought medical issue as well, but doubtful he would call and then have a medical issue.

Wednesday was warm and wet but got real windy and cold fairly quickly I believe, so being only dressed for the warm weather might have caused the problem.

RIP. Shouldn't have happened, if it wasn't a sudden medical event. He had a cell phone. My old low-feature iPhone includes both a GPS map of where you're standing and a compass. Before I carried a phone I always took a compass reading entering the woods and walked out on the reciprocal heading, even if it wasn't perfect.

the means and knowledge to at least start a fire could be a life saver. If you learn nothing about the outdoors, learn how to make a fire and carry even a magnesium firestarter on a keychain.
None of us know diddly about the circumstances in this case. The Monday morning quaterbacking is in bad taste and disrespectful. Knock it off

Parts of chesterfield are very rugged. in the past a hunter died in one of the swamps. (I am in the next town over with somewhat similar terrain. ) it is one of those areas where you may be within a mile of a road but good luck getting to that road if you are healthy. Very hilly and rocky and some large swamps. (and yes some steep ravines )

We had a pretty vicious storm come through here the afternoon/night he went missing. Very heavy rains and wind, cold temps. Not ideal for an overnight if you weren't prepared. No real way to get in from the rain and no way to start a fire.

We had a pretty vicious storm come through here the afternoon/night he went missing. Very heavy rains and wind, cold temps. Not ideal for an overnight if you weren't prepared. No real way to get in from the rain and no way to start a fire.
Yeah, if you're lost and not prepared for that it's pretty much a death march.

I got lost one time grouse hunting in some very thick woods. It was getting dark and I was planning on spending the night in the woods with nothing but my 12ga, sweatshirt, pants, and a hunting vest. After about 3 hours of walking I was able to find a road and was almost 3 miles from my truck. It got down to 25 degrees that night I would have had to keep moving or I probably would have perished. Now if I am planning on going deep in to the woods I always have a pack with what I need to get through a night or two is something happened.

Yeah, if you're lost and not prepared for that it's pretty much a death march.
It's sort of what I theorized above. If you've been walking in warm temps all day long, you will shed clothes (or not bring them). Then, the weather shifted very quickly with heavy winds. If you weren't clothed for the cold, I assume exposure can consume you rapidly (especially when it is wet).

Sad story.

Not quarterbacking at all. Just saying... If you don't know how to start a fire, learn. It coul

I carry a pack with a small survival kit that I picked up from Amazon when I am out in the big woods. This is the kit I have I’ve added a lot of things to it quick clot, TQ, Israeli bandage and some essential medicines, water filter and purification tablets/and an MRE.

I also keep one in the car equipped the same way. You never know.

Amazon product ASIN B07BC66HQ1View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BC66HQ1/?coliid=I36F2ZYVMOV5IK&colid=314YDKC81FI3E&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Does anyone carry a compass or GPS anymore? Jack.

I got lost one time grouse hunting in some very thick woods. It was getting dark and I was planning on spending the night in the woods with nothing but my 12ga, sweatshirt, pants, and a hunting vest. After about 3 hours of walking I was able to find a road and was almost 3 miles from my truck. It got down to 25 degrees that night I would have had to keep moving or I probably would have perished. Now if I am planning on going deep in to the woods I always have a pack with what I need to get through a night or two is something happened.
I'd have to guess a lot of people don't really understand how
TrailsAtDaytime <> TrailsAtNight
and not because some magic fairy comes along and reroutes things, but because the visual cues are absent and you simply cannot recognize things. And that's even me, who's trail crew - I BUILT the damned things - in these places.

Last fall my wife and friend took a wrong path while hiking in Templeton. Right before sundown. When she returned home she mentioned how she was starting to freak out... So for Xmas, I put together a bunch of stuff for her... a bivvy, tarp, flashlight, firestarters, paracord, etc.. basic survival gear, light to pack, and cheap. ... also got her a Garmin GPS Emergency thingy in case she ever lost cell service.

better to have an not need, than to need and not have.

I picked up a father and young son maybe 12-13 one night in the Adirondacks on a log road in the middle of a nasty snow squall. They were lucky they hit the log road and I just happened to be driving out. They had jumped a deer at last light and started chasing it and got turned around. They had no clue which way the truck was ended up being about 4 miles from the way they were headed.

Years ago I got turned around in heavy cover one cold grey afternoon and since then I've been carrying a Silva compass, sometimes a topo map, and now a phone that has a map and compass built in. Not going to depend on just the phone. The compass never has a dead battery. A Zippo lighter will work in a monsoon. I keep it in a BandAid box taped shut so it doesn't stink up the pack. The compass only works if you know which way you started in, so it's important to take a few quick readings as you go.

None of us know diddly about the circumstances in this case. The Monday morning quaterbacking is in bad taste and disrespectful. Knock it off

It is unfortunate that you feel that way. None of this is meant as disrespect or “Monday morning quarterbacking“. We are sharing simple preps and ideas that we use help keep others from the same fate.

Another story fly fishing a giant saltwater pond in RI at night with my old time fishing buddy who had fished the pond for years.
It was very foggy and dark no moon we had worked our way about 800 yards out along the channel from parking area fishing was slow and here comes another guy wading behind us. We do the usual BS about you catch anything etc guy says no he is done for the night and head out.
My old time buddy says you are going the wrong way to the guy he says no truck is that way my buddy says no it’s other way been fishing here 40 years guy says no your wrong ok buddy have a good night.
Just then truck pulls into parking area and you could just see the head lights. Should have seen that dudes face when he realized he was going the wrong way and would have waded into the channel.

According to the SAT view I can't find anywhere that is over 1 mile from a road
But a medical issue can make that mile hard/impossible

I haven't read the story but I do know how easy it can be to get lost in an unfamiliar section of wood. I was hunting in NH with a friend of mine many years ago in some woods along Rt 106 in Laconia. I was not familiar with that section of woods and ended up getting turned around and damned lost. I was most definitely within a mile of Rt 106 but for about two hours I could not find my way out. I had nothing but my shotgun as we had just walked out the back of the shop where my buddy was working and intended to got out and come right back a couple of hours later. I was getting cold as it got dark but finally came to a cul de sac with some kids playing in it and they pointed me the way to Rt 16 and I was shocked how far away from the shop I had gotten. Even though I thought I had changed course a few times I had basically just walked parallel to Rt 106 the whole time. My friend could not understand how I had gotten so lost. That's the last time I went into the woods without a pack.

An older gentleman died of a heart attack while bow hunting pretty much right in my backyard years ago. Guess it was a massive one that took him in his tree stand and that was it.

His son knew where he hunted and was the one that found him when he went over due.

I seem to recall a couple of their similar stories. Guys in poor health over do it humping into the woods and god takes them.

Back
Top Bottom