• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Daunte Wright Shooting: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Air Fresheners to be the next symbol of white supremacy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, now that the officer is being charged, lets play a game:

Assuming a guilty finding - what would an appropriate punishment be? and why?
Max is 10 years and $20,000 fine.

Factors to consider: Deterrence, Retribution, and Rehabilitation.

If this was an honest mistake, although foolish and unforgivable, would any measure of punishment have prevented the mistake, or prevent others from repeating it?
Rehabilitation seems out as well since the officer will never be permitted to work in law enforcement again, nor be able to legally carry a firearm. Since there is no likelihood of her reoffending that leaves retribution. Make no mistake, any punishment she will face is a condemnation of her actions and to satisfy other's sense of vengeance. What would an appropriate punishment be? Dude, I don't know. Definitely not the max, but not a walk either.

Well she clearly didn't learn in any of those training classes. So as a deterrent to future heroes and to encourage them to pay attention in training, I'd be OK with the max penalty plus loss of pension. In fact, the pension can go to the victim's kid....cuz we gonna be paying anyway.

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only these morons would take the logic one step further and say "hmm, should we really be using traffic enforcement as a dragnet for other crimes and offenses? Seems to inject a hell of a lot of danger into the whole thing..."

Not sure if that was the case here or just that they learned he had a warrant after stopping him for the expired tag on the car. In any case you make a very valid point.
Although even without a mandate to seek out wanted individuals any cop might run into them in the course of traffic stops, short of ending all traffic enforcement I don't see how it is totally unavoidable.

Either way this arrest in MN at least from an observers point of view looked sloppy, uncoordinated, and hence the individual was able to break free and and attempt to flee and the ineptitude spiraled.

Live PD in the past featured a Jefferson County Alabama Sheriff's team whose whole operation was mobile sweeps for stole cars and opportunities to spot individuals with outstanding warrants. But their tactics, and clearly their training, were nothing like what is seen in this MN case. When the AL team made a stop they used two to three SUVs to box in a suspect vehicle and slow roll them to a halt. They were then very deliberate and coordinated about approaching the vehicle, and if they were going to ask someone to exit a car they first had them rotate their body in their seat and actually handcuffed them while they were still seated. These officer were also young and very fit individual men and women who had clearly done a lot of training in apprehensions and physically putting hands on suspects to hold and handle them.

🐯

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Well she clearly didn't learn in any of those training classes. So as a deterrent to future heroes and to encourage them to pay attention in training, I'd be OK with the max penalty plus loss of pension. In fact, the pension can go to the victim's kid....cuz we gonna be paying anyway.

You and I don't agree on anything pertaining to this.

I'd say least amount of penalty with no loss of pension. She's going to get sued to death anyway.

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
You and I don't agree on anything pertaining to this.

I'd say least amount of penalty with no loss of pension. She's going to get sued to death anyway.
Im not sure what her states laws are but regardless of what the idiots carrying a torch to burn this officer want she probably won’t lose her pension. She will do time and use said pension to pay all her lawyer fees and civil penalties and might enjoy some of her earned money in about 20-30 years down the road.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The news also said Biden won.
bd41899f624c7d94f7913b4c659d23aa25172ffdb69f021b5b71e67af5db0c0b.jpg

Rehabilitation seems out as well since the officer will never be permitted to work in law enforcement again, nor be able to legally carry a firearm.
How about a taser?

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL as I suspected the thug was a thug. Let the apologist for him hold a vigil and burn buildings in his honor. But indeed the cop/s were still incompetent and need to be held accountable, I won’t argue that fact.
I had an interesting back and forth with some uber liberal turd on Monday .
George Floyd came up.
My answer to him was that it never should have happened but not for the reason he thought.
When he asked what that was , I told him Floyd's brains should have been getting washed off someone's walls years back when he did an armed home invasion and stuck a pistol in a pregnant woman's stomach .
I literally though the dude was going to stroke out right in front of me.
Not excusing Chauvin in any way , I have a feeling that POS is going to get what he has coming , but damn I'm tired of people elevating these thugs to sainthood.

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I had an interesting back and forth with some uber liberal turd on Monday .
George Floyd came up.
My answer to him was that it never should have happened but not for the reason he thought.
When he asked what that was , I told him Floyd's brains should have been getting washed off someone's walls years back when he did an armed home invasion and stuck a pistol in a pregnant woman's stomach .
I literally though the dude was going to stroke out right in front of me.
Not excusing Chauvin in any way , I have a feeling that POS is going to get what he has coming , but damn I'm tired of people elevating these thugs to sainthood.
Agreed on all points. Interestingly outside of NES I’ve had a few chats with some liberals at my work and they all agreed with me that this stupid kid brought this on himself by acting like an idiot in the first place but none of the conversation/s excused the keystone Cop bullshit, this topic might have been the one thing that was discussed with these people that didn’t make me want to shake some sense into them after.

Kevin_NH

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not sure if that was the case here or just that they learned he had a warrant after stopping him for the expired tag on the car. In any case you make a very valid point.
Although even without a mandate to seek out wanted individuals any cop might run into them in the course of traffic stops, short of ending all traffic enforcement I don't see how it is totally unavoidable.

Either way this arrest in MN at least from an observers point of view looked sloppy, uncoordinated, and hence the individual was able to break free and and attempt to flee and the ineptitude spiraled.
The car was a recent gift from family and apparently never re-registered in his name, so they only learned about the outstanding warrants when they ran his ID well into the traffic stop.

The bodycam footage of the officers attempting to take him into custody is... unimpressive.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
30 years ago this would have been local news only.
I miss those days.
That was the case in Framingham when a negligent discharge took out Eurie Stamps ... and he did not have baggage like a long criminal record; felony warrants; etc. Just a grandfather who happened to be related to a person of interest.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My understanding is that court records were released and published today that show that Daunte was pulled over for expired registration

Once pulled over they realized he had an outstanding warrant for assault/robbery, that his bail had been revoked and conditions of his bail included orders that he was banned from possession of firearms/ammo previously mentioned and the officers KNEW he was facing additional charges for possession.....ie they had reason to believe he had a firearm AND demonstrated disreguard for law.

Police that were involved apparently included a white male officer, a black male officer and white female officer.

All three officers knew who they were dealing with, what his history was and that he may be armed

He didnt deserve to be shot........but at same time he and he alone is responsible for his own actions that led to the circumstances he put himself in.

The charge of second degree manslauter as defined by the state do not fit in any way shape or form the actions that were captured on camera..

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
My understanding is that court records were released and published today that show that Daunte was pulled over for expired registration

Once pulled over they realized he had an outstanding warrant for assault/robbery, that his bail had been revoked and conditions of his bail included orders that he was banned from possession of firearms/ammo previously mentioned and the officers KNEW he was facing additional charges for possession.....ie they had reason to believe he had a firearm AND demonstrated disreguard for law.

Police that were involved apparently included a white male officer, a black male officer and white female officer.

All three officers knew who they were dealing with, what his history was and that he may be armed

He didnt deserve to be shot........but at same time he and he alone is responsible for his own actions that led to the circumstances he put himself in.

The charge of second degree manslauter as defined by the state do not fit in any way shape or form the actions that were captured on camera..
Great post. One thing I want to add and I’m not 100% sure but I thought I read that Potter ( Female shooter ) was training one or both of the Officers? Monday morning QB’ing this they should have shut the car door, also the hands on Cop had the handcuffs out to cuff this kid but then hung them on his duty belt? The only reason I can see him doing this is to get a better hold of the wrist and push the kids sleeves up maybe, placing handcuffs on a person with a coat with long sleeves is not the easiest application, this is when the kid “Slipped away” from the half ass grip the supporting officer had. Brutal Fail all around.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This seems like straight forward manslaughter due to sloppy execution of the arrest and it going sideways.

Clearly these officers are woefully under trained/tested under duress. She faced a stresser and folded like a lawnchair.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

What if she thought he was a deer?

(2) by shooting another with a firearm or other dangerous weapon as a result of negligently believing the other to be a deer or other animal;

But being serious, you don’t think mistaking a gun for a taser and shooting someone with said gun is culpable negligence?

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another;

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What if she thought he was a deer?

(2) by shooting another with a firearm or other dangerous weapon as a result of negligently believing the other to be a deer or other animal;

But being serious, you don’t think mistaking a gun for a taser and shooting someone with said gun is culpable negligence?

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another;

I wasnt there, I didnt stay at a holiday inn last night and its tough to take your post seriously

The facts as we know them are based on camera and court records/reported sequence of events

The deceased was not a law abiding citizen......far far from it......he was facing charges of armed attempted robbery, his bail had been revoked for violation of firearms ban provision and he skipped court......

when they approached the car they KNEW he had a gun.....question was whether or not it was in the car

He has now resisted lawful/legitimate arrest and re-entered a vehicle where popo had every reason to believe he had a gun

He didnt deserve to die....but he put himself into a really bad situation where HE forced police to choose between a number of terribad decisions they had to make.

Whether he had a gun in car or not....he now had a 3000 pound weapon......the car

He and he alone through a series of terribad decisions to break law and harm other people over many many months, put himself in a bad situation that led to his death

I can neither justify or condemn her response......but there's no disputing that he was armed with a vehicle and had a demonstrated history/ability to use weapons against others....even if the shoot was wrong.....he certainly provoked the kharma fairy.....and she's a fickle bitch.....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

commodon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The car was a recent gift from family and apparently never re-registered in his name, so they only learned about the outstanding warrants when they ran his ID well into the traffic stop.

The bodycam footage of the officers attempting to take him into custody is... unimpressive.

Agreed!

What bothered me was the female officer saying aloud "He has a warrant" in earshot of the suspect. This is why you use code words to your partner. Additionally the male officer, understandably he is in training, was sloppy and failed to apply proper measures of control upon the suspect.

IMO when all is said and done, this video should serve a purpose of what not to do, or at least how it can be done better.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious question: would the lady cop have been better off saying she knew she had a gun and meant to shoot him? She could argue self defense. As it stands now, she's definitely going to jail.

Top Bottom