• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dallas PO enters wrong apartment, kills occupant

Get off at the wrong floor?

Ya good point, when I was envisioning the area while reading the story I was picturing more of a row of townhouse type apts with separate outside entrances in my head, not the hotel-esque type apt buildings.

Good. That should be MANDATORY after any and all officer involved shootings. That and body cameras should also be mandatory. It's for the protection of us as well as the officer.

Body cam when she was off duty? You gotta know if I was a cop that thing would get turned off the moment I clocked out.

I'm sure they see it as an invasion of their privacy. Do we have any LEO on the board who wear one, and can comment on their effectiveness and their effects on how you do your job?

Body cam when she was off duty? You gotta know if I was a cop that thing would get turned off the moment I clocked out.

I'm sure they see it as an invasion of their privacy. Do we have any LEO on the board who wear one, and can comment on their effectiveness and their effects on how you do your job?

I'm going with TPBM didn't realize the officer was off duty OR was speaking in terms of ON duty po po.

No reasonable person would ask off duty police to wear a body cam (unless female, not guilty and body cam in selfie mode).

Betting her excuse will be "It was a long shift and I was insanely tired your honor. Didn't even know it wasn't my apartment."

Qualified immunity.

bgqyc.jpg

The first paragraph said she was in uniform coming home from the end of her shift. The body cam should be part of the uniform, meaning she would have had it on her person. As long as the officer is in uniform, they represent the force. As long as they represent the force, that cam should be on and rolling. Don't want to have the cam rolling while you're off the clock, then change out of uniform at work. Lots of people do.

..............and something else is pretty clear from this. She didn't even take a half a second to assess the situation. Wrong apartment so the decor wouldn't match, her keys wouldn't have worked in the lock, wrong number on the door, wrong number on the floor, and probably a half dozen other queues.. I'm convinced some kind of controlled substance was involved. Had to be. No one is that dense when sober. Even the mentally handicapped gentleman who bags my groceries knows when he's in the wrong isle. Think of all the queues she had to ignore...

I imagine there's some kind of rule against being intoxicated while in uniform also. Should be one if there isn't. Not because it matters to ME, but as a "boss" I wouldn't want my "employees" representing my "business" while intoxicated. Hell, I used to work for Lahey Clinic and they actually have a policy against smoking during working hours. Even in your car. On your lunch break. Or down the street at the mall walking around. Because "uniform".

Even if she was high or drunk or both, how'd she get in? Either the guy leaves his apt unlocked or he opened it for her from the inside. If she keeps her door locked when shes not home, she would of tried her key which wouldnt of turned his lock. They would both have to of been in the habit of leaving their doors unlocked for her to just walk in. Unless she tried her key, it didnt work, she knocked (assuming someone else lives there with her), he opened the door and she panicked and shot him. Something doesnt sound right.

Ive worked in property maintenance for a while and I have gone to the wrong apt a couple of times (while sober, lol), it happens. A lot of buildings are more or less identical as far as the finishes on the inside so youre kind of on autopilot on the way there. There have also been a couple of instances over the years where one tenants key fit anothers lock. Unlikely but I have seen it happen.

Only other scenario I can come up with is he went all "WHATTHAFUKUDOININMUHAPARTMENT!!1!" which has happened more than once but I work a lot in low income places where this reaction is more likely to happen. Im assuming cops dont typically live in shithole ghetto apts. Anyway, he gets combative either verbally or physically or both, she panics and pops him.

None of these explain how she got in unless they were both leaving their doors open. If she locks her door and he doesnt, her key wouldnt of worked. If she tried the knob anyway and it opened it would of put her on guard ("WTF is my door unlocked?!") and she shouldve realized it wasnt her place i would think.

Weird.

Last edited:
Wow. If this was any of us we’d have been arrested immediately. Not placed on administrative leave pending an investigation. Curious as to how this could possibly remotely be job connected for the leave/investigation? How in the world is she not in jail?
The state where I grew up has a long history of capital punishment. If I ever entered someone's home by mistake and killed them, all I could expect would be about an 18 year long stay on death row at the Holman Correctional Center (Alabama's super max). My final stop would be Holman's execution chamber and a 2,000 volt surge from "Yellow Mama" (Alabama's notorious yellow-painted electric chair). I guess this is another case where a badge-carrier gets away with cold blooded .murder.

Officer who walked into wrong apartment and killed man faces arrest:

An arrest warrant will soon be issued for a Dallas police officer who shot and killed a man upon returning home from her shift and entering an apartment she apparently thought was her own, police said Friday.

The Dallas Police Department has since ceased handling the incident under its "normal officer-involved shooting protocol" and has invited the Texas Rangers to conduct an independent investigation. A blood sample was also taken from the officer to test for drugs and alcohol, Hall said.

Officer who walked into wrong apartment and killed man faces arrest: Authorities

Even if she was high or drunk or both, how'd she get in? Either the guy leaves his apt unlocked or he opened it for her from the inside. If she keeps her door locked when shes not home, she would of tried her key which wouldnt of turned his lock. They would both have to of been in the habit of leaving their doors unlocked for her to just walk in. Unless she tried her key, it didnt work, she knocked (assuming someone else lives there with her), he opened the door and she panicked and shot him. Something doesnt sound right.

Ive worked in property maintenance for a while and I have gone to the wrong apt a couple of times (while sober, lol), it happens. A lot of buildings are more or less identical as far as the finishes on the inside so youre kind of on autopilot on the way there. There have also been a couple of instances over the years where one tenants key fit anothers lock. Unlikely but I have seen it happen.

Only other scenario I can come up with is he went all "WHATTHAFUKUDOININMUHAPARTMENT!!1!" which has happened more than once but I work a lot in low income places where this reaction is more likely to happen. Im assuming cops dont typically live in shithole ghetto apts. Anyway, he gets combative either verbally or physically or both, she panics and pops him.

None of these explain how she got in unless they were both leaving their doors open. If she locks her door and he doesnt, her key wouldnt of worked. If she tried the knob anyway and it opened it would of put her on guard ("WTF is my door unlocked?!") and she shouldve realized it wasnt her place i would think.

Weird.

Or it was locked, and she was trying to get in, he heard someone messing with the door and opened it.

Or she’s lying about going to the wrong apartment and something else is going on.

..............and something else is pretty clear from this. She didn't even take a half a second to assess the situation. Wrong apartment so the decor wouldn't match, her keys wouldn't have worked in the lock, wrong number on the door, wrong number on the floor, and probably a half dozen other queues.. I'm convinced some kind of controlled substance was involved. Had to be. No one is that dense when sober. Even the mentally handicapped gentleman who bags my groceries knows when he's in the wrong isle. Think of all the queues she had to ignore...

Here's the way Vulcan-level situational awareness prevents such problems at work:
  • Dope-de-dope-de-dope, gotta go wet the bush...
  • A tampon dispenser in the Men's Room? This "Valuing Differences" stuff is really getting out of hand.
  • Where are the urinals - they were here just yesterd...
  • OMG it's the Women's Room!!!!
In my defense, the order of the restroom doors was different at different stairwell cores, and I'd gone to a different cross-corridor than usual, probably to hit the vending machines afterwards...

Ive worked in property maintenance for a while and I have gone to the wrong apt a couple of times (while sober, lol), it happens. A lot of buildings are more or less identical as far as the finishes on the inside so youre kind of on autopilot on the way there.

Summer of '81.
The Bride was lodged at the Marlboro Holiday Out for her apartment hunting trip.

Mid-evening, there's a lot of scratching and rattling at the door lock.
Looks through the peephole as some drunken guy starts pounding on the door.
Calls the desk, "someone is trying to break into my room!".
"Oh, that must be Mr. Jones - he just walked by. We'll go point him at his room".

Yeesh.

Here's the way Vulcan-level situational awareness prevents such problems at work:
  • Dope-de-dope-de-dope, gotta go wet the bush...
  • A tampon dispenser in the Men's Room? This "Valuing Differences" stuff is really getting out of hand.
  • Where are the urinals - they were here just yesterd...
  • OMG it's the Women's Room!!!!
In my defense, the order of the restroom doors was different at different stairwell cores, and I'd gone to a different cross-corridor than usual, probably to hit the vending machines afterwards...

Summer of '81.
The Bride was lodged at the Marlboro Holiday Out for her apartment hunting trip.

Mid-evening, there's a lot of scratching and rattling at the door lock.
Looks through the peephole as some drunken guy starts pounding on the door.
Calls the desk, "someone is trying to break into my room!".
"Oh, that must be Mr. Jones - he just walked by. We'll go point him at his room".

Yeesh.
Ive done it more than once over the years. Opened the door once and made eye contact with a dude sitting on the couch watching tv. Luckily I had a repore with him so I kinda said "whoops wrong apt" and he laughed and said yep and that was it. A couple other times no one was home (or at least not in sight of the door) and I just backed out and left. Coworkers have had more confrontational experiences with idiots.

The dude who "caught" me happened to be in the apt below the one I was working in. I had run down to the truck and on the way back opened the door at the top of the second floor stairs instead of the third floor. Just a dumb mistake because I was rushing and had my mind on something else.

Point of all the boring apartment maintenance stories is if I immediately recognized I was in the wrong apartment more or less as soon as I had the door open or barely one step inside when its not even where I live, how does someone who's expecting to see familiar surroundings not immediately see that somethings not right? Pitch black in the dead of the night maybe?

Somethings not adding up, but its still early, journalism isnt what it used to be and Im sure the PD is being extra tight lipped since its one of their own. Could be she was messing around with him, something happened and this is just a bs story to try to explain why she was there and why she shot him.

heavily drugged,

OR door is open/ajar, she pulls out gun to investigate, sees big black guy inside and panics.

Or it was locked, and she was trying to get in, he heard someone messing with the door and opened it.

Or she’s lying about going to the wrong apartment and something else is going on.
If he left his door knob unlocked, her key of the same brand would go into the lock and appear to "open" the lock if she used the key to turn the knob. Does not apply to a dead bolt or explain her not realizing she was in the wrong apt. Maybe the guy heard the key and came at her, but I suspect something else is going on for sure.

Article says a blood sample was taken to eval her for intoxication.

What a shame. Young man immigrated from the Caribbean, graduated college, and was working at PriceWaterhouseCoopers. Two careers and one life ended, all of it preventable.

.....by training that didn't emphasize shoot first, ask questions later.

Hard to imagine the victim attacked a police officer in uniform.

I wonder how many shots were fired.

Keys - she probably freaked out when saw the door was unlocked? She didnt even try the keys... opened with unholstered gun ready to go.

Numbers on doors - many buildings have the same numbers on every floor. If you are on the wrong floor you might get the wrong apartment.
I had a beach apartment that was this way.

Floor number - if you are distracted it is easy to get off on the wrong floor. We have all done at least once.

Not defending her. She was probably wasted and should go to jail.

Last edited:
I saw something out there that suggests she used to date this guy at one time but I can't find anything close to reliable to corroborate it yet. Other than mention it, at this point I won't speculate unless more reliable information becomes available

Keys - she probably freaked out when saw the door was unlocked? She didnt even try the keys... opened with upholstered gun ready to go.

Numbers on doors - many buildings have the same numbers on every floor. If you are on the wrong floor you might get the wrong apartment.
I had a beach apartment that was this way.

Floor number - if you are distracted it is easy to get off on the wrong floor. We have all done at least once.

Not defending her. She was probably wasted and should go to jail.

I can see such mistakes being made by a property manager who visits the property once every few months.... But someone who LIVES there.... come on man, give me a break. I can practically drive down my street, park my truck and walk into my house blindfolded. It's not something you #$%$ up.

Back
Top Bottom