• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Customs and border patrol in Kittery?

I think Caffiene almost nailed it. I used to work in the outlets and that place is crawling with Canadian tourists trying to avoid the Canadian sales taxes.

Since a ship or boat can enter the U.S. and sail up the Hudson River, the border extends 100 miles east and west of the Hudson River. I would guess that's why the boder extends 100 miles from the shores of the great lakes.

I know nothing about a port of entry accessible by aircraft only like Dallas, Kansas City, etc.

If that is the case it should also extend up the Mississippi and continue on along the McClellan–Kerr Arkansas River Navigation System to the Port of Catoosa in Oklahoma as it is a Seaport, they even have a Coast Guard station there.

Even Casper, WY has an international airport. Wyoming is the last place I would expect to find border patrol.

http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/wy

An international airport only means that you can clear customs there. Sometimes it requires a wait while a CBP person is summoned from nearby.

A few years ago, I flew a Vans RV-10 from Bremerton Oregon to Bridgeport, CT. My first stop was Glacier Park International Airport. Its a little regional airport that is served by a couple of airlines with flights from Canada. It sits on the western edge of a vast wilderness. I'd like to see them humping around in there, no roads or houses for 100 miles.

Don

I was stopped on the highway at a checkpoint in the white mountains about 2 years ago with my brother. I'd say not far from Franconia area. They were checking the south bound side. Thought that was fairly far from the border.

They have check points in that area quite often. Usually border patrol, along with state police.

Sorry man, got my alphabet soup all stirred up. They looked pretty much like the guy in the pic.

No worries. The soup is pretty ridiculous and is tough to keep track of even as an employee. Being on the outside looking in, I'd imagine it would be near impossible to decipher. There used to be two agencies, U.S. Customs (under the Treasury Department) and U.S. Border Patrol (under the Justice Department). After 9/11 the .gov decided that they should be combined in order to better promote government efficiency and information sharing. So they created DHS, then created CBP, then split CBP into 16 different offices (OC, CC, HRM, OBP, OT, IA, OCA, OFO, OPA, OA, OIT, OTD, INA, OAM, OI, and OTIA)....because that makes things much less complicated, obviously. The folks that do Customs work (OFO) and the folks that do Border Patrol work (OBP) are still separate entities, so the goal of combining them was a total success.

There is an office in Portsmouth where all the ships come in. 5 min drive from Kittery. Prolly why they were there.

-edit-

Last edited:
My brother in law is and HSI agent and he said you wouldn't believe the amount of counterfeit stuff they catch coming in.

Policy from the 1950's

It's tied to one of the Immigration laws a while back, too lazy to look it up, but the 100 mile zone is normally tied to physical borders, airports are another animal. It's a law, maybe codified in regulation, not a 'policy'.

edit because I can't seem to get it all down at one time:

The 'tacticool' vest is the current issue vest, which I actually endorse. With the heat of the southern border, a lot of guys weren't wearing the soft armor under their uniforms and I'll admit is looks like crap wearing soft armor over your uniform even though I did it. It also takes a lot of weight off your hips. For those of us without 'supervisor bellies', I don't have room to put any more gear on my belt (Taser mainly), and you can mount it to the vest.

Last edited:
*Snip*
And given the number of good places to get lunch in Kittery......

Warren's Lobster House

100mileborderzone.jpg

Does this mean Rutland is the only Haven from the Border Patrol if I want to stay in New England?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom