Crown roast for Christmas?

Thinking crown roast, pork or beef undecided, for Christmas dinner. Feeding 6. Any clues as to what I should be spending?

What sayeth the forum?

Call your local butcher shop. You won't get anything decent, anywhere else. Feeding six shouldn't be too expensive. Don't cheap out...it's Christmas!

Definitely. Ed Stearns Meats is a mile from the plant-quite convenient. My son is getting some unexpected leave to get home for the holidays, so we need to up the ante just a little bit. I know he will be deployed for Christmas next year.

Find a good butcher shop. Your local grocery store won't do.

If you are going to do pork, I suggest looking for Kurobuta or Berkshire pork. The standard breeds have been bred to be too lean. Kurobuta still has fat, and thus flavor. Just be sure not to overcook it. I find beef roasts more forgiving than pork -- with pork you've got to get the temperature just right.

Personally, I like a good standing rib roast. Put some thick-sliced potatoes in the bottom of the pan when there is about 1 hour to go. Make up some horseradish sauce. When you take the roast out of the oven to rest, leave the potatoes in the bottom of the roast pan and put it under the broiler to crisp up the potatoes. You have to watch the potatoes like a hawk when under the broiler as they will burn in a heartbeat if you don't pay attention.

Potatoes cooked in beef fat:
hungry-2.gif

Last edited:
Potatoes cooked in beef fat. That sounds yum yum so I guess I must give it a try.

I don't think my doctor will approve but she's not invited anyway. [smile]

Potatoes cooked in beef fat. That sounds yum yum so I guess I must give it a try.

It's simple to do. Peel an Idaho potato. Cut it in 1/2 lengthwise. Then slice it about 3/8" thick. If there isn't enough fat already in the pan underneath the roast, add some olive oil so the potatoes don't stick. Add them to the pan. Crisp them up as I posted above, and season with salt and pepper.

It's simple to do. Peel an Idaho potato. Cut it in 1/2 lengthwise. Then slice it about 3/8" thick. If there isn't enough fat already in the pan underneath the roast, add some olive oil so the potatoes don't stick. Add them to the pan. Crisp them up as I posted above, and season with salt and pepper.

actually the best thing to do with those pan juices is to make Yorkshire pudding. Tastes great.

Crown roast is great and not that hard to cook, and nothing looks more spectacular. Most butchers, even in a regular grocery store will French it for you (remove the meat and gristle from the tops of the bones). There are lots of recipes and videos online how to do it. A great stuffing (must have apple) is important. Enjoy.

This. Every year I'm here for X-Mas I do a standing rib roast for us and my wife's parents. Her father loves me for it.
That's the great thing about about a standing rib roast - it tastes spectacular, it looks spectacular, but it is actually very easy to cook.

large_homer.drool.jpg

This is good advice. Always learned the hard way. LOL

One better...

We're doing 'surf-n-turf' for xmas eve dinner this year. Which means lobsters and tenderloin steaks. I think I'll get some thick cut bacon to wrap the steaks with. Of course, the beef is Black Angus...

Who needs a drool pan?? [laugh]

Whatever you make, don't forget to let it rest for 15-20 mins before cutting into it. Pull it out and cover it in foil to keep it warm. It makes a world of difference.

Thought everyone knew that... Same thing with a turkey, and pretty much all other roasts and hunks of meat. Even letting a steak rest for 5 minutes will do it a world of good. Also, pull it from the oven when it's 5 degrees (F) lower than your desired done temp. So, if you're going for 135, pull it at 130F. Use a probe thermometer unit, with the probe inside the roast for the entire cook time and the display unit outside the oven. Means you don't need to open the door, jab a thermometer into the nice roast, when you want to check it.

Back
Top Bottom