Crow & Squirrel Hunting

Was not really planning on having my son "hunt" but just come along with dad for a good walk in the woods and hope to score a couple of squirrel and/or crows. I have had squirrel and it was pretty yummy. I guess I will steer clear for the crow. May use for Coyote bait though! [smile]

Andrew Zimmern just had a cooking show where he was crow hunting from a blind somewhere down south. Afterwards, they cooked up the crows! He said they tasted pretty good!

Andrew Zimmern just had a cooking show where he was crow hunting from a blind somewhere down south. Afterwards, they cooked up the crows! He said they tasted pretty good!

What he thinks tastes good shouldn't be used as a guide for what will actually taste good.

What he thinks tastes good shouldn't be used as a guide for what will actually taste good.

What atmay said. Think of the other crap he says tastes good. Damn near everything but that weird spikey fruit.the term eating crow exists for a reason.

784469bc-d49a-11de-95d1-001cc4c03286.preview-300.jpg
squirrel-moose-.jpg

There's a show on the sportsmans channel called Dead Meat. It's about a checf who hunts, and goes around the country killing and cooking/eating stuff that people normally wouldn't eat. One of the episodes was about crow. According to him (and everybody else on the show) it's a little on the tough side, but actually pretty tasty.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point was, after shooting maybe 20 crows in my life....I never once thought about trying to eat one! Next time....I might try one to see.

My point was, after shooting maybe 20 crows in my life....I never once thought about trying to eat one! Next time....I might try one to see.

Let us know how someone who isn't either a chef with a penchant for weird food or someone near starving thinks it tastes.

I'll try anything. I would give crow a try, why not? It's funny, I used to shoot squirrels for fun when I was younger, then I grew up and decided not to kill anything I won't eat. Now that I want to try red squirrel, I never see any of them in the woods! [laugh]

Here in Maine we have crow seasons so you can only hunt them at certain times. However if you use a good call and have a good hide it is a blast. Squirrels on the other hand have no closed season ( the little red tree rats we have up here ) so you can shoot all you want when you want. These require much more proficiency with a 22 or 17. Shotgun they are pretty easy. I live WAY out ion the boonies and get them in waves and use primarily a 22 at my house. When I go out hunting them I like the 17hmr much more range..

Let us know how someone who isn't either a chef with a penchant for weird food or someone near starving thinks it tastes.

The French likes their squabs...which is basically a pigeon. You know the "rat with wings"! How bad can crow be compared to that?

But I know what you mean. Was in Peru and had Cuy (guinea pig). Was not horrible, but pretty greasy--not something you would eat deliberately more than once or twice on a dare. Now I hear it is sweeping the US as a gourmet fad.

Crow tastes pretty good. Only the breasts are really worth anything so it takes a few of the critters to make a decent meal. If you haven't tried it yet, go blast a few and google a recipe!

Back
Top Bottom