• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crossbows?

paul73

NES Member
Hi, i admit i know nothing at all about the topic. I just clicked at the ad email that came this morning and was amazed by prices i saw.
could anybody explain - that tenpoint $4k model on the left, looks to be same as the wicked ridge $665 model in the middle size and construction wise - what is the deal there?
what are those $4k and $3k things? are they made out of unobtanium or something?

1614265269336.png

Bulky, slow-firing, expensive and not legal for hunting during archery season in some areas. Pricy range toy. I tried one and ended up purchasing a compact PSE compound bow instead. Much better for hunting in thickly wooded areas.

these things will group 3" at 100 yds wait till you see the next generation, also 10 point has a great warrenty

2 yrs ago i spent $1700 on my ravin r10set up, including arrows, broadheads, and a target. i am usually pretty tight when it comes to weapons, but i had a windfall, so i splurged ( for me anyways). the ease of cranking the bow is what drew me to ravin ( had a stroke and got my permit accepted). then i shot it, and was dumbfounded just how accurate it was. damaged the stock rest before last season and replaced the rest with the one from firenock. pricey, but made the bow even more accurate. last fall i was lucky enough to harvest two deer, 15 minutes apart, 30 and 65yards. modern crossbows are like cheating.

Last edited:
I hunt with an Excalibur recurve. The Ben if it to a recurve is there isn’t a press required to break it down and with a string changer you can change your string in the field if you need to. I keep a spare string and the string changer in the truck.
In a dozen years of hunting with it I had to chang the string in the field once. If it had wheels I would have been out of commission until I could get and archery shop to repair it.

Has to the price, there are BMWs and Hondas. Both will do the job.

Bob

You'll need a materials engineer to answer your question. I'm betting on quality of materials in the high end one being WAY more precise than the $600 one.

Will a Bushmaster do 90% of what a Noveske (or whatever uber-Ferrari rifle) can do? Yup. If that 10% matters to you, you pay the difference.

You'll need a materials engineer to answer your question. I'm betting on quality of materials in the high end one being WAY more precise than the $600 one.

Will a Bushmaster do 90% of what a Noveske (or whatever uber-Ferrari rifle) can do? Yup. If that 10% matters to you, you pay the difference.
Buy a Barnett for $500. You will understand that you get what you pay for when you sit out the season waiting for warrantee work to be done

Buy a Barnett for $500. You will understand that you get what you pay for when you sit out the season waiting for warrantee work to be done
i do not want to buy anything, only curious.
so, on the midway site - that wicked ridge is a third most popular one. is it a bad model?

i do not want to buy anything, only curious.
so, on the midway site - that wicked ridge is a third most popular one. is it a bad model?
No idea, I just regret buying a Barnett. Lost a whole season waiting for repair. I HAVE taken 2 deer with it though.

Back
Top Bottom