Crimping problem

Patriot

NES Member
My issue seems to be that the .38 Spl Dillon crimp die puts on a step style crimp rather than a true roll crimp that forces the end of the case into the boolit. That style of crimp covers both of the crimp grooves before you get a solid crimp. I was wondering if someone is familiar with crimp dies that don't have that step style crimp.

I'm using a boolit that has two crimp positions on it so that it can be used in both .357 and .38 and with the Dillon die it's unusable with the .38.

Last edited:
No info on the crimp but it's good to hear you are up and about. Would you like a primer delivery in the AM?

It sound like you have a taper crimp instead of a roll crimp. It is more normally used on loads for an auto pistol. Now that I have carefully read the OP my RCBS dies do a nice roll crimp.

Last edited:
No info on the crimp but it's good to hear you are up and about. Would you like a primer delivery in the AM?

Hi John,

If you are going to be in the area. If not, then don't make the trip just for that. I will try to hook up with you
next week sometime.

Thanks

It sound like you have a taper crimp instead of a roll crimp. It is more normally used on loads for an auto pistol. Now that I have carefully read the OP my RCBS dies do a nice roll crimp.

It's a roll crimp but Dillon dies have a step on them so if I try to crimp low on the boolit, the step interferes with the crimping and actually seats the boolit deeper (which drive me crazy!).

The Lee seating dies make a decent roll crimp (I use them in the class).

Thanks EC, that's what I was looking for. I will purchase one of them for it.

I am headed to Santurri's shop to drop off a pistol and can drop by Bass Pro for the die if you want. Give me a call by 9AM and let me know.

Back
Top Bottom