Is mixing coated and jacketed bullets a problem?

milktree

NES Member
I was just looking at one of the coated bullet manufacturer's website, and noticed the following two warnings:

#2 - You have chemically REMOVED ALL types of fouling from your barrel PRIOR to using (our) BULLETS products.
#3 - (not relevant)
#4 - You are NOT shooting metal jacketed bullets with our bullets in the same barrel during a shooting session.

I haven't seen that kind of a warning from any other plated or jacketed bullet manufacturer, are these guys just extra super duper cautious, or are there different kinds of coatings, some of which are special princesses, and others are "just shoot the f***ers"?

I've heard/read that shooting jacketed bullets after shooting lead can cause pressure issues but I've never had any problems. I think the barrel would need to be SEVERELY fouled with lead for it to become a problem?...

I shoot gas checked coated and jacketed bullets in my 1903A3 in the same session without any problems so far. Same with 9mm, 357, and 44 mag. I never shoot bare lead bullets so maybe that's why I haven't run into issues?

I think they're being extra cautious but what do I know?...

Could be fear of copper or jacket fouling in the barrel contributing to coated not grouping.
Or copper fouling peeling the coating off and leading.
I switch back and forth, never had an issue.
On that note, I'm not pushing them very fast either.

Sounds like BS to cover complaints from customers buying their potentialy low quality product.

With quality coated lead bullets, there is absolutely zero leading.

A quick search found a poorly designed website that does not off a secure online checkout. While it may be a little troubling finding venders to ship to MA, there are several top quality coated bullet manufacturers who do

A quick search found a poorly designed website that does not off a secure online checkout.

Ha! Yea, I noticed that too. That plus the lack of any real data on the product, or even easy to find prices, made me not want to give them money anyway.

I've heard/read that shooting jacketed bullets after shooting lead can cause pressure issues but I've never had any problems. I think the barrel would need to be SEVERELY fouled with lead for it to become a problem?...

Some guys like to run a few jacketed through at the end of a session feeling it helps clean the lead out.

With quality coated lead bullets, there is absolutely zero leading.

Just scrubbed a 9mm barrel Sunday that had maybe 3k through it at around 1100 fps with a "hot " powder and there was not the slightest trace of blue coating on the patches. None.

Some bench rifle guys do say after cleaning a barrel you need to run several shots through it to re-coat it with moly before shooting for group, but I never could shoot well enough to tell the difference.

FWIW, the coated bullets that I've recovered, maintain their coating even in the rifling grooves. I doubt much of the coating gets left in the barrel, but this isn't exactly scientific proof.
Personally, I think it's mostly CYA script.

Back
Top Bottom