Coyote Season Massachusetts

MassPete

NES Member
Just a reminder that hunting season isn't over for yotes until till March 8th. High powered Rifles are legal to use until 1/2 hour after sunset. Then no caliber larger than .22 till midnight. (Only in Mass) They want you to wound the coyote at night so it suffers... :(

So I can take my LR 308 out in the woods and blow their brains out? With a hunting license off course...

So I can take my LR 308 out in the woods and blow their brains out? With a hunting license off course...
Technically yes. But if your truly in the woods you'll never see a yote beyond 50 yards anyway and you'd be better off with a shotgun (shot no larger than ff on yotes and no buckshot or slugs outside of shotgun deer season). Just my 2 cents.
Save the 308 for powerline and farm fields.

Fwiw in zones 1-9 when grey squirrel is open you could use your 308. Rifles and handguns of any cal are ok on squirrel in the Western zones except wma land stocked with pheasant during the pheasant season. Season closed yesterday though.

Last edited:
So .50bmg is legal for squirrel hunting?
yes.....in zones 1-9

From the abstract on squirrel hunting regs:

Rifles and handguns of any caliber permitted in Zones 1–9, prohibited in Zones 10–14.

yes.....in zones 1-9

From the abstract on squirrel hunting regs:

Rifles and handguns of any caliber permitted in Zones 1–9, prohibited in Zones 10–14.

I know a guy who went deer hunting with a .50BMG, but squirrel? There'd be nothing left....

It's about time they clarified that !
I asked a game warden a couple of years ago and they told me nope, strictly .22 or shotgun with the FF shot at max. Period.
I'm not wild about shooting something the size of a coyote with a .22 .
Your going to have a lot more wounding than killing.

My brother killed a yote in his yard, with a Marlin, model 60, .22. Damn thing had one of his chickens in it's mouth. I was surprised to see how large the yote was. Much larger than the ones I've come across, living just 5 miles away.

My brother killed a yote in his yard, with a Marlin, model 60, .22. Damn thing had one of his chickens in it's mouth. I was surprised to see how large the yote was. Much larger than the ones I've come across, living just 5 miles away.

They have been getting bigger and expanding both their range and population numbers over the years since mating with wolves.

Bob

Coywolves are Taking Over Eastern North America
Coywolves are not ‘shy wolves’—they are coyote-wolf hybrids (with some dog mixed in) and now number in the millions

image: https://thumbs-prod.si-cdn.com/g3bb...oyote-face-snow_-_virginia_-_forestwander.jpg

coyote-face-snow_-_virginia_-_forestwander.jpg

(www.ForestWander.com via Wikimedia Commons (CC-BY-3.0))
By Marissa Fessenden
SMITHSONIAN.COM
NOVEMBER 3, 2015
even cities. What they may not know is that eastern coyotes aren’t true coyotes at all. They might better be known as hybrids, or coywolves.

Coywolves only emerged over the last century or so and have since spread successfully over much of eastern North America, reports Zachary Davies Boren for The Independent.

Read more: Coywolves are Taking Over Eastern North America | Smart News | Smithsonian
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! Give the gift of Smithsonian
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

My dad told me they had what they called coydogs in the 70s when he started hunting the berkshires. Said some big bastards were shot nearly 80 pounds. However they could not reproduce as the coydog was sterile and phased out by the 80s. I did not see coyotes come back in til the early 90s.
But these were smaller regular coyotes.

Hence, the 80s was a great time for the deer herd very few coyotes around. Unlike now

Ive seen and shot many regular coyotes and on occasion a big one in my area of North Central. Wouldnt be surprised if there are some mixed hybrids out there. But I would thjnk they would be sterile as well

Last edited:
My dad told me they had what they called coydogs in the 70s when he started hunting the berkshires. Said some big bastards were shot nearly 80 pounds. However they could not reproduce as the coydog was sterile and phased out by the 80s. I did not see coyotes come back in til the early 90s.
But these were smaller regular coyotes.

Hence, the 80s was a great time for the deer herd very few coyotes around. Unlike now

Ive seen and shot many regular coyotes and on occasion a big one in my area of North Central. Wouldnt be surprised if there are some mixed hybrids out there. But I would thjnk they would be sterile as well
Coydogs are not sterile. They can reproduce......the fact is that coyotes and dogs have different breeding cycles that reduce the chances of them getting pregnant. That's what they tough me in the textbooks when I was taking wildlife management classes at UMass for my forestry degree anyway.

Coydogs are not sterile. They can reproduce......the fact is that coyotes and dogs have different breeding cycles that reduce the chances of them getting pregnant. That's what they tough me in the textbooks when I was taking wildlife management classes at UMass for my forestry degree anyway.

Thats likely more like it.... there are plenty of coyotes out there now an no doubt they will breed with dogs and we will see these hybrids

There's a ton of Coyotes and Coywolves in Framingham. (2) dens within 1/4 mile of my house.
I have seen quite a few personally. Good size ones too.

I know a guy who went deer hunting with a .50BMG, but squirrel? There'd be nothing left....

There's a video floating around that shows a guy shooting at a deer with a 50BMG...killed the deer outright except he never hit it. The round passed close enough to the deer's head that the shockwave of the bullet killed the deer.

Edit: found it...

They have been getting bigger and expanding both their range and population numbers over the years since mating with wolves.

Bob

Coywolves are Taking Over Eastern North America
Coywolves are not ‘shy wolves’—they are coyote-wolf hybrids (with some dog mixed in) and now number in the millions

image: https://thumbs-prod.si-cdn.com/g3bb...oyote-face-snow_-_virginia_-_forestwander.jpg

coyote-face-snow_-_virginia_-_forestwander.jpg

(www.ForestWander.com via Wikimedia Commons (CC-BY-3.0))
By Marissa Fessenden
SMITHSONIAN.COM
NOVEMBER 3, 2015
even cities. What they may not know is that eastern coyotes aren’t true coyotes at all. They might better be known as hybrids, or coywolves.

Coywolves only emerged over the last century or so and have since spread successfully over much of eastern North America, reports Zachary Davies Boren for The Independent.

Read more: Coywolves are Taking Over Eastern North America | Smart News | Smithsonian
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! Give the gift of Smithsonian
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

They're not coywolves exactly. A coywolf is a direct coyote-wolf interbred animal. What we have here now are Eastern Coyote, which are a hybridized animal that has some wolf DNA as well as some dog DNA. They're now their own species. There are no wolves in New England so a coywolf is improbable. They are bigger than western coyote though.

Thats likely more like it.... there are plenty of coyotes out there now an no doubt they will breed with dogs and we will see these hybrids

Oh boy, coy-doodles, shiht-coy, and labra-coys!

On the serious side, what is good camouflage for New England woods in the Winter when there is no snow? Are there any sales anywhere (other than Dick's)?

Back
Top Bottom