• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Couldn't decide between Mini-14 and AR15

Any one know where someone can rent and shoot both? I'm in the market for a mini 14 or an Ar15 Other
buy both like the OP did 14 years ago.... or try to contact OP and see if one or the other is collecting dust

Lol, reminds me I need to pull my mini out and shoot it. Been so focused on the AR crap going on I forgot it was in there. It's a fun gun, and now that I'm in FreeMerica I don't have to worry about the folding stock:D

A lot of how a mini versus AR will feel is related to setup and furniture. My mini 14 LE recoils a little sharper than any AR I own but it weighs less and lacks a muzzle device.

Both are worth owning but mini's are not an ultra customizable platform comparatively.

If I lived in MA and didn't want to spend big $$ on a pre ban AR a mini is the stupid simple solution. In a free state an AR is a better place to start.

A lot of how a mini versus AR will feel is related to setup and furniture. My mini 14 LE recoils a little sharper than any AR I own but it weighs less and lacks a muzzle device.

Both are worth owning but mini's are not an ultra customizable platform comparatively.

If I lived in MA and didn't want to spend big $$ on a pre ban AR a mini is the stupid simple solution. In a free state an AR is a better place to start.
Jill's is a bone-stock stainless Mini 14 ranch rifle with black synthetic stock. Strictly for home defense, for which it excels. Very reliable. I tested it with a variety of ammo, military and commercial. Never had a jam, FTF, or FTE. It digested ever thing from ultra-high-velocity 40 grain hollow points to 64 grain deer loads without a hitch. Best accuracy, IMHO, is with Federal M193 55 grain ball.

Wow, holy thread resurrection!

Over the years I parted with both the Bushmaster A2 HBAR and the Mini-14. What I have now is a Ruger SR556 (piston rifle) and
a Springfield M1A.

For posterity, here's the original two rifles :)

IMG_2395.JPG

Jill's is a bone-stock stainless Mini 14 ranch rifle with black synthetic stock. Strictly for home defense, for which it excels. Very reliable. I tested it with a variety of ammo, military and commercial. Never had a jam, FTF, or FTE. It digested ever thing from ultra-high-velocity 40 grain hollow points to 64 grain deer loads without a hitch. Best accuracy, IMHO, is with Federal M193 55 grain ball.

Yep once you got a good one they definitely are reliable, not like the hype.

I think mine is called a ranch rifle too, LE version is the stainless 16 inch barrel without a muzzle device, basically the shortest version available. Plenty accurate for iron sights off your shoulder..

Have a mini 30 as well, nice thing about those is they do make nice little deer rifles, not that I hunt.

Out of the box, mine was fairly reliable other than destroying brass and flinging it into the next town over. All my troubles have been related to two things: customization and magazines.

I had a little bit of trouble before I got the adjustable gas block tuned right, but no issues related to the gun itself after. I've had some trouble with the fit of the Hogue stock. It was just a c-hair too thick to allow a good lockup of the trigger guard, causing it to pop loose when firing and jamming everything up. I haven't had that problem since I did a little bit of filing work.

The last issue is that the OEM 10-round mags suck a fat one. I don't know what it is about these things, but they're just awful. I've never had a problem with any 5-rounders.

Out of the box, mine was fairly reliable other than destroying brass and flinging it into the next town over. All my troubles have been related to two things: customization and magazines.

I had a little bit of trouble before I got the adjustable gas block tuned right, but no issues related to the gun itself after. I've had some trouble with the fit of the Hogue stock. It was just a c-hair too thick to allow a good lockup of the trigger guard, causing it to pop loose when firing and jamming everything up. I haven't had that problem since I did a little bit of filing work.

The last issue is that the OEM 10-round mags suck a fat one. I don't know what it is about these things, but they're just awful. I've never had a problem with any 5-rounders.

I used to think my mini 14 ran great on 20s but that something was wrong with the 30s.

Eventually it ran great on the 30s. I believe it was something about the spring on the 30s, after they sat around loaded for awhile they started feeding right.

Back
Top Bottom