• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

could use some advice new shooter

hi i have a model 1100 12 ga with a smooth bore barrel. i was hoping to use this as a slug gun. was wondering what kind of accuracy i would get from this? would a rifled barrel be better, and if so maybe a good place to find one on a limited budget? it also has the ball bearing sights which i would like to have more visibility in lower light any kind of advice on this would be very helpful. thanks

Last edited:
Welcome....

If you have the smooth bore stick with rifled slugs, first off they are way cheaper and are meant to be used with smoothbore. If your just deer hunting in MA, most spots you won't have over a 50-75 yard shot with the thickness of the woods anyway. I would stick with a more open choke when shooting slugs, like improved cylinder. They make several different types of fiberoptic sights that screw right on to the vent rib nowadays...try one of those. If your just using the gun for deer, I suggest a red dot type scope, those are very nice, quick on target, and good for shooting in low light.

If you do go for the rifled barrel, get one with the cantiliver scope mount on it, it makes putting a scope on easier and more accurate.

Sabot type slugs are meant for rifled barrels.....I really wouldn't bother switching barrels, unless you find shots are really far like over 100 yards, or your accuracy is really unacceptable, like you can't hold a group at 50 yards. If your shooting over 100 yards, you'll need a scope with some type of magnification on the gun anyway to make ethical shots.

Last edited:
Thanks mark ill give it a shot. i was looking at the red dot sights the other day and saw the B-line mounts for that gun as well

Back
Top Bottom