copper fouling

I seem to be having an issue with copper fouling in my M&P40. After every 200 rounds or so I seem to have copper build up in the bbl. I cleaned the shit out of the bore with hoppes #9 (which I know isn't intended to remove copper). After a very thorough cleaning of the bore I can see build up in the barrel. I took the bbl to the Shooter's Box in Malden and Steve put it in the ultrasonic. After it came out, all it took was a few passes with a brush and it was clean. I went to the range tonight and shot a few hundred rounds and now after a thorough cleaning same thing.

Steve told me to come back if it fouls up again, but I'm not gonna go there and bug him every time this happens.

I thought copper fouling was rare at pistol velocities, no?

I can't afford to go out and buy an ultrasonic set up right now. Anyone know what I can use? I hear 10% ammonia works pretty good. What's better Ammonia or the name brand copper solvents?

I mostly shoot WWB if that matters.

Thanks.

I used to use Sweets 7.62 for copper, but it's not really necessary now that I'm using Butch's Bore Shine for all my cleaning. It is a one-step cleaner that definitely takes care of the copper. You can get it fairly cheaply online (along with alot of other great shooting stuff) at MidSouth Shooters Supply. Here's the link:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0001502941

Good Luck!

I honestly doubt you have any build up to worry about. I shot thousands of rounds thru my M&P .40- WWB and reloads. If I didn't work the barrel well there would be some traces of copper (saw the copper color) after cleaning... nothing I gave too much concern to as it was much at all.

Last edited:
I took the bbl to the Shooter's Box in Malden and Steve put it in the ultrasonic. After it came out, all it took was a few passes with a brush and it was clean. I went to the range tonight and shot a few hundred rounds and now after a thorough cleaning same thing.
Ok, that sounds more like physical-contact fouling rather than rifle-type copper plating. I.e., a rough, newish barrel?

Question: did accuracy go down when it was "fouled" - or did it run about the same? A rough barrel will in essence fill in the rough bits with the material it catches; and all in all copper's not the worst thing to wind up with in there so long as it's not layering on thick. As opposed to a rifle, where it will plate on in layers very badly until it wrecks accuracy and increases pressure. In a rifle, an ultrasonic cleaner will just make the copper plated on look shiny.

I guess it's kind of new? Over time a pistol barrel should smooth out.

Anyhow, if in the mean time, you want a fast copper cleaner that won't attack the barrel (esp. if you're going to be cleaning it all the time), I'd recommend KG-12. Non-ammonia based, not noxious, fast, and copper-specific.

I honestly doubt you have any build up to worry about. I shot thousands of rounds thru my M&P .40- WWB and reloads. If I didn't work the barrel well there would be some traces of copper (saw the copper color) after cleaning... nothing I gave to much concern to as it was much at all.

I run into the same thing with my Sig 229 .40. It is such a minute amount I don't give it a second thought.

This very evening, I just used some M Pro 7 Copper remover after my M Pro Gun Cleaning solution. I paid $8.99 for a 4 oz bottle yesterday at Four Seasons.
I think I have the cleanest barrel in Boston. L.O.L.
Best regards.

Ok, that sounds more like physical-contact fouling rather than rifle-type copper plating. I.e., a rough, newish barrel?

Question: did accuracy go down when it was "fouled" - or did it run about the same? A rough barrel will in essence fill in the rough bits with the material it catches; and all in all copper's not the worst thing to wind up with in there so long as it's not layering on thick. As opposed to a rifle, where it will plate on in layers very badly until it wrecks accuracy and increases pressure. In a rifle, an ultrasonic cleaner will just make the copper plated on look shiny.

I guess it's kind of new? Over time a pistol barrel should smooth out.

Anyhow, if in the mean time, you want a fast copper cleaner that won't attack the barrel (esp. if you're going to be cleaning it all the time), I'd recommend KG-12. Non-ammonia based, not noxious, fast, and copper-specific.

Honestly, not sure about the accuracy. I'm a new shooter and I suck miserably. I'm shooting better than I was, but I'm still having trouble getting consistent groups at 30 ft (shooting low left and some just left although for every 10 shots i might get a good tight group of 4-6 around the "bullseye"). A .40 shouldn't have been my first gun (but I only had $ for one and I wanted something suitable for protection and range).

Not sure how much my accuracy issues are the result of the copper. I think I just need to concentrate harder on the fundamentals and take it slow.

I posted because I wasn't sure what the effect of the copper might be on accuracy but it seems to not be a big deal so I'm not going to worry about it too much. I'll clean the fouling with a good copper solvent once in a while.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Honestly, not sure about the accuracy. I'm a new shooter and I suck miserably. I'm shooting better than I was, but I'm still having trouble getting consistent groups at 30 ft (shooting low left and some just left although for every 10 shots i might get a good tight group of 4-6 around the "bullseye"). A .40 shouldn't have been my first gun (but I only had $ for one and I wanted something suitable for protection and range).

Not sure how much my accuracy issues are the result of the copper. I think I just need to concentrate harder on the fundamentals and take it slow.

Yep, right idea. You can work on all the fundamentals but focus on the trigger pull the most. Easier said than done for sure. Consistent grip... and pull the trigger slowly straight back. I can't tell you how many people I see trying to pull the trigger once a second till the mag is empty while shooting all over the place and missing the target.

Accuracy first... then speed. [wink]

You may want to check out this link for possible self-help with your left groupings. Your going to the left is the same issue I had. I resolved it, for the most part by concentrating on my grip and referring to the degrata hints. I still have to go back and double check my grip almost every time I go to the range. Practise makes perfect, or almost perfect.
Best regards.
http://www.degrata.com/pdf/commonshootingerrors.pdf

Whatever you use, make sure you let it sit on there for about ten minutes then use the bore brush a few times. I like CLP or just regular gun oil. I had the same prob with my M&P 40c and it worked just dandy.

I wouldn't worry about the copper, I rarely clean the barrel on my .38 super, and when I do, I just run a bore snake or a nylon brush down it 2 or 3 times. my barrel has very little fouling and cleans very easily.

cleaning your gun is overrated, wipe it down, oil it up, shoot

If you haven't already, get a trigger job on your M&P. A decent trigger will make improving your trigger press much easier. I've been fighting low left issues myself lately. Ball and dummy drills have been a huge help.

If you haven't already, get a trigger job on your M&P. A decent trigger will make improving your trigger press much easier. I've been fighting low left issues myself lately. Ball and dummy drills have been a huge help.

I did. Brought it to about 5.5 lbs. I'm gonna have to pick up some dummy ammo and try that.

Back
Top Bottom