new barrel... copper or rust?

I recently purchased a new Browning BLR 81 Takedown in .308. Haven't fired it yet. Ran a bore snake through it a couple of times. When I shine a light down the bore and sight down the bore the bore has a SPOTLESS mirror shine to it. HOWEVER, when looking at the rifling near the muzzle (first inch or so) with ambient light I can see thin brownish-orangish-reddish streaks on the lands (not the grooves). The steaks on some lands are more pronounced than others. Could this be copper from factory test-firing? Or is it rust? Should I be concerned? Thanks for your expertise!

I had the same problem with a S&W M&P 9mm that I just bought. I decided to run a bore brush though the barrel before I shot it for the first time. I then examined the bore and found it to be badly corroded. Closer examination revealed that the lands were badly fouled, but the grooves were clean. This gave me the idea that the fouling was jacket material not corrosion. I scrubbed the barrel and soaked it off and on for two hours and got most of the fouling out, but not all. I would love to know what kind of s**t they are test firing in their guns.

It's the rough barrels on factory guns. Two or three shots is enough to copper them up.

B

It has been my experience that S&W builds pretty good barrels. But, now that you mention it, this is one of the roughest barrels I have ever seen. The funny thing is that it is very accurate.

Yes, you can have rough (copper mine) barrels that are very accurate. I bought a Winchester varmint rifle years ago that was really accurate, but I got copper wash out of it from the factory proof rounds. The issue with copper is when does it build up enough affect accuracy, and that really depends on the application. Some of that roughness can also be attributable to the so called breaking in a barrel issue.

Also I can't imagine that a lot of manufactures lap their barrels. Typically that is something that you see with custom aftermarket barrels but then again it depends. Some are rougher than others. I think one of the reasons that SSS Final Finish product is so popular is that it takes care of those rough spots that accumulate copper as well as other combustion fouling.

B

Thanks

Thanks for your replies. Saved me a trip to the gunsmith. Now I'm wondering... Should I bother with trying to clean out all the copper or just go ahead and try out the gun?

Thanks for your replies. Saved me a trip to the gunsmith. Now I'm wondering... Should I bother with trying to clean out all the copper or just go ahead and try out the gun?

I would scrub out the copper fouling. The barrel will never break in properly if you don't get the fouling out.

Back
Top Bottom