Coonan 1911 357 mag double charge...PICS

DW357

NES Member
*No, not my Coonan [laugh]*

I saw these photos on a Coonan owners Facebook page and thought some of you guys/fellow reloaders might be interested in seeing them. One of the guys who works at Coonan posted them and said this is why reloads will void the warranty...

He said there was no deformation of the slide or frame. Blew out the extractor, trashed a mag and one of the grip panels. Also said that the most specific info he ever gets from someone, when they actually admit fault, is "it was probably a double"...

If you're using a true magnum powder like 2400 or H110, there's no way you'll double charge the case. Curious what he was using for powder.

Download-File

Download-File

Last edited:
If that was a full double charge, that pistol held up VERY well.

Yeah I was thinking the same. He was damn lucky if all he had to replace was the extractor, barrel, mag, and grips. The guy from Coonan said that they get contacted 2-3 times a year from people blowing up their Coonan's...

"it was probably a double"...

If you're using a true magnum powder like 2400 or H110, there's no way you'll double charge the case. Curious what he was using for powder.

This^
Even a compressed load of Blue Dot wouldn't be equal to a double charge.
16 grains completely fills a .357 case the case to the top, while a typical charge runs 11-13 grains

This^
Even a compressed load of Blue Dot wouldn't be equal to a double charge.
16 grains completely fills a .357 case the case to the top, while a typical charge runs 11-13 grains

Yep. Wouldn't surprise me if he was using Titegroup. But we'll never know.

*No, not my Coonan [laugh]...........................

You know, I thought it was going to be yours.

It would be interesting to know what powder.

That held up nicely. Aren't 1911's designed to blow out through the magazine well similar to AR-15's? I thought I'd read that before.

I saw a .44 magnum that was "loaded hot" blow the cylinder in half with both pieces going through the left and right drywall and the back strap going through the ceiling at my clubs indoor range. Amazingly nothing happened to the shooter. He was using his buddies Hot reloads "He likes to load them hot" he said.

When using 296 or 110 and not filling the case to at least 90% under the bullet, you can get an explosion rather than a controlled burn. Jack.

That's what I've heard.

I use a Hornady LNL AP and it would take some serious oversight to make a double charge (assuming I was using a powder that doesn't fill the case).

Will A Coonan cycle on 38Sp, 38sp +p?

Edit... Some.. But needs the weaker springs.

It needs a good +p to cycle the lighter spring. For easiness, I make lighter 357 mag loads that wil cycle the 22lb spring. 7.5 gr of Power Pistol under a 158 gr plated bullet works well. Whereas my real magnum load is 14.7 gr of 2400 under a 158 gr JHP.

New barrel, new grips, and a new pair of underwear.
I would be very grateful to still be able to count to ten and a hell of a lot more careful in the future.
I probably take way more time than I have to loading because my wife and kid shoot them as well.

Andrew bring yours to shoot a match!

[laugh] That would be crazy, especially for the indoor stages! The muzzle blast would be deafening and blinding lol. Though steel challenge would be interesting. I'd have to buy more mags as I only have 2 and they're like $60 each...

Found another person blowing up their coonan. This was posted by a member on the coonan owners FB group. Yikes. This guy learned an expensive lesson, don’t buy reloads. Especially from a gun show....

I’m no metallurgist but that barrel sure as hell seems cast and not forged?? Pretty porous looking?
65D7D355-B12B-46CC-B6ED-2D3531DC0503.png
803DEDA0-4F16-49C9-ADB1-0E81EE2FDF5C.jpeg
09A795EB-0B8A-409E-80E0-39EB3B3AB6A8.jpeg
6D8D6067-CDBE-4B1B-B481-E2A4FBC551F3.jpeg

So much fail. Paid $80 for 200 reloads when he could have saved money and bought new 357 ammo for cheaper. All while shooting this through a $1500 gun with no customer support at the moment....
DEAEDA91-CAEF-44F4-A032-5DD96CB09FF8.jpeg
FE86079F-67C7-4175-8A25-57D9CDF21513.jpeg
487DF706-978D-4F27-8FB9-3B7E8919C412.jpeg

Some of the comments by fellow members are laughable. Caused by an air gap?o_O Am I missing something??
4A9B0BA7-DC59-4A72-A881-FBF587C77393.png

Last edited:
Some of the comments by fellow members are laughable. Caused by an air gap?o_O Am I missing something

It's ridiculous, of course, but I think I know where he got the idea. With black powder one loads flush or compressed. This is my understanding (which might be wrong). Black powder is super fast-burning compared to smokeless powder. When you load flush, the charge ignites from the rear and burns forward very quickly, creating gas as it goes. Eventually it starts to move the bullet and remaining powder down the barrel as it burns. That's why an overcharge with black powder is just inefficient, not dangerous. If you have an air gap, however, the flash can travel over the entire charge and ignite it all at once, which is bad because there's no time to bleed off pressure by moving the bullet and remaining powder charge down the barrel. Boom.

It's ridiculous, of course, but I think I know where he got the idea. With black powder one loads flush or compressed. This is my understanding (which might be wrong). Black powder is super fast-burning compared to smokeless powder. When you load flush, the charge ignites from the rear and burns forward very quickly, creating gas as it goes. Eventually it starts to move the bullet and remaining powder down the barrel as it burns. That's why an overcharge with black powder is just inefficient, not dangerous. If you have an air gap, however, the flash can travel over the entire charge and ignite it all at once, which is bad because there's no time to bleed off pressure by moving the bullet and remaining powder charge down the barrel. Boom.
Ahhh I did not know that - makes sense. I know next to nothing about black powder lol.

$80/200. How stupid do you have to be???? Golden Sabers would run $4 more for the 200. Factory, nickel cased Golden Sabers. Wow. (Practice ammo from TSA would run about $76 SHIPPED!)

Back
Top Bottom