cool i thought - russian 12 ga. penetrator slugs

I haven’t watched the video yet, but my initial thoughts based on research on this type of fluted design in pistol bullets:

I bet this would provide a little benefit in wound channel and penetration vs a slug. However, it would not provide the same kind of fluid transfer wounding as seen in the LeHigh solid copper rounds that look similar. This type of fluting for fluid transfer performs better with higher velocity.

It has promise for being slightly better than normal slugs though.

Last edited:
I haven’t watched the video yet, but my initial thoughts based on research on this type of fluted design in pistol bullets:

I bet this would provide a little benefit in wound channel and penetration vs a slug. However, it would not provide the same kind of fluid transfer wounding as seen in the LeHigh solid copper rounds that look similar. This type of fluting for fluid transfer performs better with higher velocity.

It has promise for being slightly better than normal slugs though.
Might be a good idea to watch the video before commenting on it.

I’ll get to it when I get to it. It’s a half hour and the guy is slow on his delivery. My post was based on research into fluid transfer design performance and is quite applicable as an initial assessment/prediction until I do watch it. But if you’d like to fill in with the video’s findings, please do.

Last edited:
I’ll get to it when I get to it. It’s a half hour and the guy is slow on his delivery. My post was based on research into fluid transfer design performance and is quite applicable as an initial assessment/prediction until I do watch it. But if you’d like to fill in with the video’s findings, please do.
Speed it up to 2x and its only 15 minutes..

I did underestimate the velocity they’d be launching it at. But most of that video doesn’t provide any comparative value. How do other copper sabot slugs perform? How does a Brenneke black perform? That said, the level 3a penetration was nice to see. This would likely be a nice slug to use when expecting better equipped threats or when anticipating encountering threats in vehicles.

Also, the only worthwhile tests were the 3a armor, steel plate, and ballistics gel. The rest really didn’t provide anything.

Back
Top Bottom