• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Converting anti gunners one LA buddy at a time

After years of sipping from the leftist media koolaid on guns, I told my LA buddy who was taking a little vacation in Arizona - just set foot in a gun shop, talk to the workers and educate yourself on how guns and gun laws really work. No longer will he ever say shit like "no one should be allowed to buy a semi automatic assault weapon with high capacity banana clips that can kill 30 sandy hook style kids in ten seconds." Sadly he was eyeing his first gun to get but wifey said absolutely not. Maybe one day.

What are your success stories of converting/educating anti gunners? BTW does Maura let us have Hellions?

signal-2023-07-09-134919_pixel.jpg

Sadly he was eyeing his first gun to get but wifey said absolutely not. Maybe one day.

[rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Normally I would ask how can people be in relationships like that, but I get it, an anti married an anti. Now he has to deal with it.

When I married I made it clear to the wife - my guns are not going anywhere, it is my hobby. I don't smoke, drink, do drugs or gamble. I don't care if she is not into guns, she won't tell me what to do and I won't tell her what to do with all her sh*t that she buys.

Anyway, OP, good job on educating someone.

I hope his wife won't tell him how to vote and I hope he will have the balls to speak up and make a good argument when his Liberal friends are having cheese and wine at his house discussing how disgusting guns are.

[rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Normally I would ask how can people be in relationships like that, but I get it, an anti married an anti. Now he has to deal with it.

When I married I made it clear to the wife - my guns are not going anywhere, it is my hobby. I don't smoke, drink, do drugs or gamble. I don't care if she is not into guns, she won't tell me what to do and I won't tell her what to do with all her sh*t that she buys.

Anyway, OP, good job on educating someone.

I hope his wife won't tell him how to vote and I hope he will have the balls to speak up and make a good argument when his Liberal friends are having cheese and wine at his house discussing how disgusting guns are.

My wife and I have both been married previously. When we realized that we were moving from "dating" to a "serious" relationship, we had a couple of heart to heart talks about what we expected from the relationship. Among those was the fact that I was already an adult, who I was is who I was - expecting me to change would be unrealistic and lead only to sadness/anger. I have changed, but more in an "evolving" kind of way, rather than a "you need to change who you are to please me".

I've added a couple more tattoos, still have a Harley, and quite a few more guns than when we met. Funnily enough, (given the thread I'm posting in), is that she now has at least half a dozen guns, including an AR built for her, whereas when we met, she had none. She was never "anti-gun", just more of "not interested". She's shot pins, plates, IDPA and USPSA with me.

23 years ago, as a live fire instructor for a gun club's multi-week class, a student asked if there was a way to practice. She didn't have a gun, I told her I'd bring one and she could practice before the next class.
Now my wife and a fellow NRA instructor. Later qualified as Expert in .22 Bullseye.
She was interested in an archery class, which the club didn't offer, but took a handgun class instead.

It takes time, like anything else. Crawl, walk, run, and before you know it, they have their own. Fear is both a good and bad thing!
I fully converted one who at one time called an AR, a military machine gun. Now she has her own concealed carry and asks, "When can we go to the range?" at least once a month.
Another realizes the necessity, but doesn't like AR's. She claims that they are to loud but has no problem popping off multiple magazines out of a full size .45, 1911.
Most of the women that I have talked to about shooting say they are interested but when it comes time to touch or shoot them, they cancel.
Only four out of probably fifty that have asked to go to the range have followed through from where I used to work. I learned quickly to only give them one chance to confirm the day before and not to bring the topic back up again, unless they ask. There are others that have a brand new firearm but have never shot them. It just sits in a locked container out of sight, out of mind.

After years of sipping from the leftist media koolaid on guns, I told my LA buddy who was taking a little vacation in Arizona - just set foot in a gun shop, talk to the workers and educate yourself on how guns and gun laws really work. No longer will he ever say shit like "no one should be allowed to buy a semi automatic assault weapon with high capacity banana clips that can kill 30 sandy hook style kids in ten seconds." Sadly he was eyeing his first gun to get but wifey said absolutely not. Maybe one day.

What are your success stories of converting/educating anti gunners? BTW does Maura let us have Hellions?

View attachment 773291
It’s nice that you’re trying to spread the word and actually take the time to educate people instead of just blustering “come and take them!!!” i don’t know your friend’s politics, but, if he votes dem, then it doesn’t make a difference if he goes full-blown tacticool bro-dude operator, he’s just voting to whittle away his (and our) rights.

View attachment 773291

This past summer I went to the range with Jeff and his wife Sherry. Sherry asked me to take her because she knows I shoot, she's terrified of guns and wanted to try shooting one. Sherry can be a *bit* of a drama queen, and she's quite "liberal", aka "progressive", but Jeff's a friend of mine - and they asked.

We started with a .22 revolver, (S&W 617). Showed her how it loads, explained the cylinder rotation and had her shoot at a bowling pin. The first shot she fired literally had her trembling. Okay. Let's do it again. And we did, a couple of times until she was fairly comfortable with it.

Then we moved on to a .22 semi-automatic, one of my Browning BuckMarks. Showed her how the magazine fullfilled the same purpose as cylinder, showed her how the slide would move, explained the sequence of actions when it did so. Loaded ONE round into the mag and had her shoot it. Much easier for her than the revolver - because of the single action and much lighter trigger pull. Loaded two rounds and her cycle through them a couple of times, then a full mag.

When she was comfortable with that, we switched to a .38 revolver, my GP100, loaded with fairly light rounds. That went pretty well, so after a couple of cylinders, we moved to one of my G17 Glocks. Downloaded the mag to one for the first shot and cycled through that a couple of times, then loaded it with three, cycled that a couple of times, then went to a full mag.

Took her up to the plate rack with the G17 and she was hitting them and smiling, having fun.

Not a "convert", but she's not terrified of firearms any more.

Up until now, I've spent summers in a campground in Connecticut. I sold my camper this summer, I've got one more trip to empty the storage unit, then I'm done with Connecticut. I've had a camper there for fifteen years or so, the last eight while I've been living here in Georgia.

I've taken at least half a dozen seasonal campers to the range over the last couple of years and gone through the same exercises that I did with Sherry. Some of them asked me to take them after hearing from their friends about their experience.

I didn't convert anyone to coming out and shooting matches, but I did allay some fears and imparted some education/knowledge. Definitely worth the time/effort expended.

Back
Top Bottom