Constitutional Carry tracker.

I wouldn't consider a state that bans open carry to be constitutional carry

I would agree and I though about that yesterday when reading @Zappa 's post about the "14-foot alligator caught carrying lifeless human body down Florida canal."

If I am out hiking along a Florida waterway I would want the option of carry something openly, like a 4"-6" .357 or .44 revolver.

Irony being in 'no LTC no rights for you' Massachusetts that would not be specifically banned by the language of the law, but in 'constitutional carry' Florida, where they have these large predators, it literally is banned.

🐯

Or not to mention the basic long standing and rational logic that people carrying guns for bad tend to not do so openly so there need not be any requirements to open carry. People carrying guns for bad conceal them. This is why states required licenses to conceal guns in the first place. While I think any prohibition or license requirement to bear arms is unconstitutional, at least there was some semblance of logic behind it. There’s absolutely no logic behind banning open carry yet allowing concealed carry. None.

... on their own.
Fat chance of getting Congress to pass nationwide constitutional carry. They can’t even get national reciprocity done. It’s also gonna be quite some time before SCOTUS weighs in on shall issue permits, they’ve got a whole plethora of more important 2A issues they need to tackle first (sensitive places, prohibited persons, age restrictions, AWB & mag bans, etc). I doubt we’ll see constitutional carry nationwide in any of our lifetimes.

Fat chance of getting Congress to pass nationwide constitutional carry. They can’t even get national reciprocity done. It’s also gonna be quite some time before SCOTUS weighs in on shall issue permits, they’ve got a whole plethora of more important 2A issues they need to tackle first (sensitive places, prohibited persons, age restrictions, AWB & mag bans, etc). I doubt we’ll see constitutional carry nationwide in any of our lifetimes.
I agree with everything except maybe the last sentence. If the prior may issue states keep constructing increasingly abusive licensing schemes, we may see Thomas's footnote called on sooner than we'd expect.

If the prior may issue states keep constructing increasingly abusive licensing schemes, we may see Thomas's footnote called on sooner than we'd expect.
1. What is this "footnote"?
2. Why would it be brought into use?
3. If 2, then why not now?
4. How does this get "called on"?

Thank you.

I agree with everything except maybe the last sentence. If the prior may issue states keep constructing increasingly abusive licensing schemes, we may see Thomas's footnote called on sooner than we'd expect.
Ok maybe “lifetimes” is a bit of a stretch, but I definitely think it’ll be at least a decade or two before they weigh in on the issue. That’s also assuming SCOTUS is still 2A friendly by then, which isn’t guaranteed. We’re about to get another Dem president and Alito and Thomas are knocking on Death’s door.

Ok maybe “lifetimes” is a bit of a stretch, but I definitely think it’ll be at least a decade or two before they weigh in on the issue. That’s also assuming SCOTUS is still 2A friendly by then, which isn’t guaranteed. We’re about to get another Dem president and Alito and Thomas are knocking on Death’s door.
You're probably not wrong.

I'll admit, I'm increasingly comfortable with non-compliance. If "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed" and "whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it," then the first step is to withdraw that consent.

Keep creating abusive laws, and good men will just stop adhering to them.

@Coyote33, here:
Bruen decision footnote 9 said:
That said, because any permitting scheme can be put toward abusive ends, we do not rule out constitutional challenges to shall-issue regimes where, for example, lengthy wait times in processing license applications or exorbitant fees deny ordinary citizens their right to public carry.

In the old days of computers, they used to call this "vaporware". It was a sales pitch for software that did not yet exist, and it was very questionable if it would ever exist.
I know what vapor is. SCOTUS decisions are not vapor.

Go read the decision. Stop haranguing us with questions until you've done it. Many of your answers re in there. The totality of footnote 9, of which the above quote is only the last sentence, makes the conversation clearer. The rest of the decision explains, even for someone as slow as me, why they didn't already knock down licensing schemes, etc.

Stop haranguing us with questions until you've done it.
Only if you stop bombarding us with solutions which have never been used, and don't have much supporting that they will be used. Otherwise, all your talk is indeed just vapor and opinion, not fact or past practice. Sorry if the truth hurts. I call 'em like I see 'em. I honestly hope I am wrong and you are right, but to date, this is not the case.

Only if you stop bombarding us with solutions which have never been used, and don't have much supporting that they will be used. Otherwise, all your talk is indeed just vapor and opinion, not fact or past practice. Sorry if the truth hurts. I call 'em like I see 'em. I honestly hope I am wrong and you are right, but to date, this is not the case.
They haven't been used because the decision is barely a year old. Seriously, learn patience.

The lawyer writing this opinion piece left out why FL’s Permitless Carry law is unconstitutional… I might not hire him if in need of a lawyer!

Christopher McClenic (or at least the editor at the Post who wrote that headline) is an idiot.

If he'd gone with "The gun-bearing folk overstate the case for "Constitutional" carry", he would've had a point somewhere other than under his hat.

The lawyer writing this opinion piece left out why FL’s Permitless Carry law is unconstitutional… I might not hire him if in need of a lawyer!

I remember the "blood in the streets" argument against Florida's shall issue licenses - still waiting for it to happen.

Constitutional Carry clears Senate committee and goes to full Senate vote tomorrow!

Looking good in this special session

Glad to see it. Now we just need NC & SC to get their heads out of their butts so we can get the full 30/30 states. The other 20 have no shot at getting constitutional carry

You're probably not wrong.

I'll admit, I'm increasingly comfortable with non-compliance. If "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed" and "whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it," then the first step is to withdraw that consent.

Keep creating abusive laws, and good men will just stop adhering to them.

@Coyote33, here:
Isn’t there a saying: “the English follow all of the laws, the Italians follow none of the laws, and the Americans follow only the laws they think are important.”

Passed the Senate and sent to the House!
Passed the House 75-28. Has to go back to the Senate now. But since there were no Amendments to the Senate bill, it should be on the Governor’s desk shortly

Last edited:
Louisiana has all kinds of messed up laws, and places off limits for carry.

I haven't dived into this bill to see how any of that changes, but even with passage I suggest carrying with caution in LA.

Back
Top Bottom