Constables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Massachusetts Constables have traffic enforcement powers on State highways? Friend of mine got chewed out by someone with dashboard blues on a hatchback POV for speeding. Said he was a Boston Constable. Is there an official or "unspoken" agreement about whether sworn out of jurisdiction LEO's can effect traffic detentions?
Just wondering.

Do Massachusetts Constables have traffic enforcement powers on State highways? Friend of mine got chewed out by someone with dashboard blues on a hatchback POV for speeding. Said he was a Boston Constable. Is there an official or "unspoken" agreement about whether sworn out of jurisdiction LEO's can effect traffic detentions?
Just wondering.

No.
Without getting into all kids of "stuff", constables are not considered LEOs.

Whether or not constables have limited law enforcement authority, I suspect the agency with primary jurisdiction over the roadway would like to have a chat with the rogue constable who pulls any vehicle over on their turf.

although not very common it is a law still on the books that a constable can enforce traffic laws provided they have a ticket book from the local chief of police,they also have powers of arrest and are considered leo.i was one for 10 years.i did paper services.i had no interest in trying to get a blue light permit etc.i did purchase a few guns with my constable id and comission papers though.so to answer your question the constable was probably dancing in a grey area and is probably a total cop wannabe.most constables wouldn't bother to enforce traffic violations.there's no money in it.

Thanks for the feedback. I figured something didn't seem right since he supposedly didn't present anything more than a shield with no ID card. I recommended that my buddy should have called the closest State Police Barracks, explained the situation and asked for instructions. I can't imagine any legitimate LEO, even out of uniform/off duty/out of jurisdiction, would have a serious issue with that course of action.

Wannabe

As a police officer let me tell you I'd love to have this "Boston Constable" pull me over for a CMVI! He should have reported him to the State Police.
[frown]

Why would one pull over for something that wasn't a police vehicle? [thinking]

In that situation I have always told my daughter to drive slowly to a well lit populated area and dial 911 and ask for a marked car to show up.

which is VERY good advice especially these days.i hope that this one moron claiming to be a constable does not lead everyone here to believe that all constables are idiots.out of all of the constables i have met and worked with over the years i have only met one who has the "idiot gene".you could call boston city hall when you get the chance and ask them if the have a constable who fits your discription.people like him should not be a constable or any other type of law enforcement.

I had something similar happen to me once. I was getting onto RT3 from 128 I was like 18 years old, driving my firebird. I took the on ramp at my usual 70MPH. About 1/2 mile onto RT3 I see blues behind me, so I slow down to let the poor sucker catch up, and pull over once he got behind me. I was thinking shit an unmarked car, but when the "cop" got to the window he was in plain clothes and start to yell at me, telling me he should drag my hippie ass out of the car and beat the shit out of me. I said something to the effect of "whoa there smokey, let me see your badge" He started yelling at me telling me he didn't have to show me ANYTHING, so I told him if he didn't I was going to leave. He quickly flashed me some badge, and I told him to show me again and SLOWER this time. When he did, I saw that it said Constable on it. I said, "WHAT?! You're a f***ing process server not a cop, leave me the hell alone" and just took off leaving him standing on the side of the highway, in a cloud of tire smoke!

When he did, I saw that it said Constable on it. I said, "WHAT?! You're a f***ing process server not a cop, leave me the hell alone" and just took off leaving him standing on the side of the highway, in a cloud of tire smoke!

[rofl][laugh2] Adam, that's priceless......

-Mike

No.
Without getting into all kids of "stuff", constables are not considered LEOs.

Really????

What would make you say something like that? You OBVIOUSLY dont know the definition of a Constable. Look back and look up the definiton of a Constable. Tell me what you find, I'm sure if you "TRY" to understand the definiton, you will realize that a Constable IS in fact a Law Enforcement Officer!! Yes, I AM a Constable and have been one for 19 years.

JT

CONSTABLES

Chapter 41: Section 94. Powers and duties

Section 94. Constables may serve the writs and processes described in section ninety-two and warrants and processes in criminal cases, although their town, parish, religious society or district is a party or interested. They shall have the powers of sheriffs to require aid in the execution of their duties. They shall take due notice of and prosecute all violations of law respecting the observance of the Lord’s day, profane swearing and gaming. They shall serve all warrants and other processes directed to them by the selectmen of their town for notifying town meetings or for other purposes. They may serve by copy, attested by them, demands, notices and citations, and their returns of service thereof shall be prima facie evidence; but this provision shall not exclude the service thereof by other persons.

[rofl]

ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!

fd505517_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom