• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Considering moving from MA

a lot of reasons for this, the gun issue being just one, the other is that Im almost 40 and really don't want to have lived my whole life in freeze my ass off Massachusetts. The wife has a year left on her Masters and we're seriously considering making a move after that. I was thinking TX and LA as 2 good possible locations and the wife was thinking Alaska, as if we didn't get cold enough here.

Seeing as we're on the extreme ends here - and yeah, this is mostly me talking out of my ass until this is reality - any other recommendations for gun friendly states? They don't necessarily need to be crazy red states, in fact Id prefer some socially liberal attitudes towards issues like gay marriage and irreligious folks.

If you want more laid back liberal attitude with less anti-gun bullshit look out west like Oregon and Washington, but the Cali turds keep migrating to these areas and will probably eventually **** them up.

Anchorage, AK is pretty moderate for temperatures (about what we get here).

I'd go with Washington state for a good choice. I did some research and once you get outside of Seattle, it's pretty nice. Both for living space and lack of moonbats. You can leave the granola crunching in Seattle.

Check into Montana too.

- - - Updated - - -

Your wife wants to move to Alaska and you don't?

Let me know if she ever files for divorce....

+1

Avoid LA like the plague. I'm sure 100 reasons come to mind instantly.

Top 3 answers on the board:

1. Traffic
2. Gang central
3. Dianne Feinstein is one of your senators! /Barf

1. Traffic
2. Gang central

Hoss, LA as in the state, not city... Louisiana... At least that's how I read it (TX=Texas, LA=Louisiana)...

I went to Los Angeles once, when I was in college. I met Pauly Shore. That wasn't the highlight. The highlight was leaving Los Angeles. That said, I should have just said Louisiana.

1. Traffic
2. Gang central

With Texas and LA, think hurricanes and tornadoes. I'm with you, screw the cold and snow and go to NC, SC, GA. Yes, I am well aware that NC can be hurricane central but TX and LA have more of them with a higher intensity most of the time.
If you don't have any kids definitely head South on the Atlantic Coast. The public educational systems decline rapidly as you head further South

Seeing as we're on the extreme ends here - and yeah, this is mostly me talking out of my ass until this is reality - any other recommendations for gun friendly states? They don't necessarily need to be crazy red states, in fact Id prefer some socially liberal attitudes towards issues like gay marriage and irreligious folks.
I think you just described Vermont? [laugh]

North Carolina is warm, rather gun friendly, and fairly socially liberal. A few hours to the west and you have mountains, a few hours to the east and you have ocean. It's not a bad State.

She has this crazy idea that my company, which is in insulation will somehow expand there or that I can get a job working in oil.

Well Alaska does pay you to live there.....

At the same time, Alaska has some issues, especially if you are raising a kid. Namely, there isn't a whole lot to do so it is pretty easy to get into trouble: because boredom [laugh]. Seriously, watch Alaska State Troopers for what bored people do in Alaska [laugh]. That and you damn well better have a 357mag (or higher) and a dog with you at all times if you live or go anywhere outside the big cities. I have an uncle who lives in AK. He has a cabin away from anchorage. His dog has saved him on numerous occasions by alerting him that a grizzly was nearby. It also takes getting used to seeing light out the entire day.

Alaskan summers are great, because the weather is mild, the days are long and even at night the sun is never far below the horizon. (Alaska is not the place to go to see fireworks on the Fourth of July, because in most of the state it just doesn't get dark enough -- even after midnight -- to show them to best advantage.) The further north you go, the more daylight you get. In Anchorage, it's possible to read a book outside at midnight in late June. In Barrow, on Alaska's North Slope, it doesn't get dark at all for several months.
How long are the days?

They last several months on the North Slope, but in most of the state there are at least a few hours of dusk or darkness around the summer solstice.

In Anchorage, the longest day of the year lasts 19 hours and 21minutes. That's in late June. After that we lose about 5 minutes of daylight a day.
http://www.alaskascenes.com/summer.html

How long are the days?

The sun disappears for about two months in Barrow, on Alaska's north coast. In Anchorage, the sun rises around 10:30 a.m. and sets around 3:30 on the shortest day (December 20 or 21, the winter solstice). The shortest day is about an hour longer in Juneau, almost 2 hours shorter in Fairbanks.

In the parts of Alaska where the sun still rises and sets, its journey through the day describes an arc through the heavens in the southern sky. If you're moving to Alaska, be sure to get a home with south facing windows.
http://www.alaskascenes.com/winter.html

My wife and I moved to NM for the same reasons--love it. Granted some liberal streaks here and there, but the mentality is good, weather is great, gun friendly and great for outdoors minded. Actually get to see, handle and buy firearms I've never seen in MA with a drivers license. We're in Silver City, southwest NM.

My wife and I moved to NM for the same reasons--love it. Granted some liberal streaks here and there, but the mentality is good, weather is great, gun friendly and great for outdoors minded. Actually get to see, handle and buy firearms I've never seen in MA with a drivers license. We're in Silver City, southwest NM.

Same thing [for buying guns] in NH... [smile]

I lived in NC for almost a decade. It was wonderful. Hot and muggy summers sucked but the people and experience was overall great. I want to move back there when im done in MA.

We're looking at Western NC as our destination.

Where about? I have been hearing good things about the Asheville area. The down side is I've seen articles trying to attract people to the area, which means *******s might be moving in.

I'm in engineering and I'd like an area that has more than one company that hires engineers.

I also looked at Idaho for a bit, but my family is all on the east coast and I'd prefer not to move farther away from them.

The girlfriend and I moved to Seattle this past March. It's been great so far! Very firearm-friendly from what we've seen (we got our licenses in about 3 weeks with zero hassle), weather is AWESOME (I suspect the 'winters' are more rainy; either that or its an open secret to keep the rabble out), and the property values are on par with MA and I dare say even a little cheaper.

I know, not warm, and maybe too close to MA...but I'd still say NH.

I lived in southwest FL (near Ft. Myers) for 2 years in the 90s and liked it well enough. Job market continues to be tough down there, but if you don't mind it hot an muggy and the transient types you tend to see, it's not all bad. Housing is pretty cheap, no state income tax, and very gun friendly (it IS the Gunshine State after all!)

We picked Wilmington, NC. We are not fans of the boondocks. Low house prices, low taxes. Very friendly people. Much warmer weather. Wilmington is a place where you can find everything you want but it is not a huge urban mess like Boston. Funny thing, I was scheduling the muscle for our move today. We are going to use load/unload services for the trucks. Up here, it is about $40 per hour more than it is in NC. I was down there a couple of weeks ago, my McD's sausage and egg mcmuffin was about .50 cheaper. That is HUGE!!!!!!!!

Where about? I have been hearing good things about the Asheville area. The down side is I've seen articles trying to attract people to the area, which means *******s might be moving in.

I'm in engineering and I'd like an area that has more than one company that hires engineers.

I also looked at Idaho for a bit, but my family is all on the east coast and I'd prefer not to move farther away from them.

We looked hard at Asheville. Prices are pretty high and it's "trendy." Take a look at some of the websites that show county voting. Asheville is an island of liberals in a sea of conservatives. Driving back up here through Roanoke, we realized the mountains there are just as pretty, the prices are better, and it's not as trendy. We're buying a mountain top lot and building there, in the mountains south of Roanoke.

Back
Top Bottom