Considering .357 Desert Eagle

dannyk45

NES Member
Looking to buy one. Wondering if any one has one. I would like to know if the 357 will shoot 38's and if you can buy a conversion kit to shoot 44 mag or 50 ae.

Looking to buy one. Wondering if any one has one. I would like to know if the 357 will shoot 38's and if you can buy a conversion kit to shoot 44 mag or 50 ae.

I think they're the most fun of all the Desert Eagle's. 9+1 of 357 is very cool! No way on the 38s... They require hotly loaded 357. You can convert to 44 or 50, but will require a whole new slide/bolt/barrel assembly. Cost is pretty high, like $900+.

--EasyD

I think they're the most fun of all the Desert Eagle's. 9+1 of 357 is very cool! No way on the 38s... They require hotly loaded 357. You can convert to 44 or 50, but will require a whole new slide/bolt/barrel assembly. Cost is pretty high, like $900+.

--EasyD

+1 I have a Mark I in 357 and I love it. I've even started to reload 357 just so I can shoot it more. It will not cycle 38s at all and as EasyD indicated, you need hotter loads to cycle the action properly. The minimum it will eat properly is the 125gr rounds, but it prefers the 158gr rnds. The 125s are fine, but you will get a failure to eject properly every once in a while.

As to the conversion, it will depend on which model you get. The Mark Is will only convert to 44. You cannot convert to 50ae with a Mark I. The later models you can convert between the three. Also as EasyD indicated, the conversion is expensive. If you go to Mangnum Research's web site you can see the conversion prices. Not cheap at all. Not to mention that DE in Mass will cost you easily over $1000.

+1 I have a Mark I in 357 and I love it. I've even started to reload 357 just so I can shoot it more. It will not cycle 38s at all and as EasyD indicated, you need hotter loads to cycle the action properly. The minimum it will eat properly is the 125gr rounds, but it prefers the 158gr rnds. The 125s are fine, but you will get a failure to eject properly every once in a while.

As to the conversion, it will depend on which model you get. The Mark Is will only convert to 44. You cannot convert to 50ae with a Mark I. The later models you can convert between the three. Also as EasyD indicated, the conversion is expensive. If you go to Mangnum Research's web site you can see the conversion prices. Not cheap at all. Not to mention that DE in Mass will cost you easily over $1000.

I ended up getting it for 770 with 2 mags gun is mint. Whats your favorite load for it powders etc.

Super fun gun to shoot!!! Felt recoil seemed almost nil. Mine was accurate as hell, and did I mention F U N?

I shot 158 grainers almost exclusively and seldom had any issues with it. Fired roughly 4500-5000 rounds through it before I sold it.[sad]

Heavy as hell, and what a light show at dusk or low light shooting.[shocked]

Back
Top Bottom