• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Eagle Arms or Olympic Arms pre ban lower

I have the option to buy a pre ban lower either Eagle Arms or Olympic Arms. I understand Olympic has no records because of the fire in 2000. I've contacted Armalite to get info on the EA, if it was sold as a complete rifle or just a lower but was told they have no records for anything prior to 1996. Can I build a pre ban AR without proving it was a completed rifle and not just a lower?

I have the option to buy a pre ban lower either Eagle Arms or Olympic Arms. I understand Olympic has no records because of the fire in 2000. I've contacted Armalite to get info on the EA, if it was sold as a complete rifle or just a lower but was told they have no records for anything prior to 1996. Can I build a pre ban AR without proving it was a completed rifle and not just a lower?

You can't build a pre-ban rifle out of a lower that was never on the books as a rifle prior to 9/13/1994. Its a post-ban in that case.

The way it can be proven if it ever came up is ATF would simply track back each transaction from one FFL book to the next till they get to the place it went after leaving the factory. If its on there as just a lower before 9/13/1994, then you'd be on the hook to prove that it was in a rifle configuration before that date. Good luck trying to prove that since someone else owned it at that point.

I'm surprised Armalite said that about the EA, I've called them before with a s/n and they were able to tell me the month and year of manufacture and I think configuration. If I chose one it would be the EA. I've had both and the Olympic was just a little off when putting a non-Olypic upper on it. Both Eagles I had were fine though.

You can't build a pre-ban rifle out of a lower that was never on the books as a rifle prior to 9/13/1994. Its a post-ban in that case.

The way it can be proven if it ever came up is ATF would simply track back each transaction from one FFL book to the next till they get to the place it went after leaving the factory. If its on there as just a lower before 9/13/1994, then you'd be on the hook to prove that it was in a rifle configuration before that date. Good luck trying to prove that since someone else owned it at that point.

I'm surprised Armalite said that about the EA, I've called them before with a s/n and they were able to tell me the month and year of manufacture and I think configuration. If I chose one it would be the EA. I've had both and the Olympic was just a little off when putting a non-Olypic upper on it. Both Eagles I had were fine though.

Sound advice, but remember the STATE would be on the hook to prove it wasn't in a rifle configuration before that date... not you.

And as you say, good luck trying to prove that since someone else owned it at that point.

+1 on EA being fine lowers.

Back
Top Bottom